What's new

Selling something on Ebay, is it easy to do? (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Why can't PayPal be trusted? And can't regular PayPal accounts accept credit card payments?

Finally, how do you know that a personal check has safely cleared?

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Travis ...

A good way to start off on Ebay, and build some positive feedback is to BUY a couple of things as soon as you sign up. Couple of DVD's you were looking for or some other inexpensive items.

Having feedback will help you when you are ready to sell something of higher value.

Be real clear on your shipping terms and what payments you accept and be also very clear on the condition of your items (including its flaws). Definetelly sign up for PayPal, I would say that 90% of buyers have this and would not even bid on your item if you do not accept it. Personal checks are good, but from my experience, I get a check payment once in every 50 sales ... if that. The check days are over.

I have sold close to $100K worth of merchandise in the last year alone on there and it is a great place if you are upfront with people. Sure there is the occasional rotten apple, but I am sure you will be hooked in no time.

BTW: Tell me some more about that helicopter model you have. I might be interested in it!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There are different Paypal accounts, one that allows for credit card payments (which entails a transaction cost), and the other allows for direct bank checking accounts payment (which doesn't entail a transaction cost IIRC).

Personally I don't allow anyone electronic access to my checking account (I don't even do direct deposit for my paycheck at work), so I stick with the credit card option and eat the transaction costs. You should go to the Paypal website and read over the payment options, et al.

To find out if a deposited check has cleared, you have to consult your bank after about 10 days after deposit (or diligently check on it each day after you deposit the check). If it's a big check, it'd be prudent to manually check with the bank. For little amounts, wait 10 days and then send out of item(s).

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
It's a Hirobo Shuttle Challenge with EVERYTHING, and in excellent condition. Partially assembled NEVER flown, (I gave up on it, I am more into computers than mechanical parts), comes with the fuel tank, engine and carb already mounted, has a landing trainer in addition to the standard landing skids, has all parts/decals/manuals. Also has a remote control with rechargeable NiCad battery, battery for controlling the 5 servos on the chopper, recharger adaptor and a Piezo Gyro.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
This thread is serendipitous, because I'm about to sell a couple of items on ebay (an Arcam Alpha 10 amp and Arcam Alpha 9 CD player). A question - the two items are in excellent condition, I've got the instruction manuals (somehere!), but the one thing I don't have is the original packaging. I've noticed that several sellers stress they have the original packaging - is this a big selling point?

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Most buyers will pay a premium for items that come in their original packaging. But even if you don't have it, there's no reason to avoid listing something. I've found that using excellent descriptions, several photos, as well as HTML helps make the auctions stand out when I'm selling items without the original packaging.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
DOH, I forgot to add, original packaging as well, however, it really is just a standard cardboard box, lol.

Anyway, my listing is up you can view it at the link below. My first Ebay selling attempt. I'm so proud! :D

Content removed per admin request, I am sorry, I had never done anything on Ebay before.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad you posted this question, Travis. I want to sell my projector, and sure could use the advice here. :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Travis,

Will you please replace your many and extremely large images with links? Some people use dial-up connections.
AND remove your e-bay link as soon as possible? Please read our rules, I'm amazed that so long a member here apparently has not done that. I moved this thread to Sales, because its nature has changed now.

Thanks.

Later: and now it's dominantly informative again, so Patrick Sun just moved it back to the AHL. :)
C.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
One more tip regarding posting high ticket items for sale, especially if you are a new seller with LOW or NO feedback.

You might receive e-mails from people claiming to be from Malaysia, Singapore or other Asian country wanting to buy your item and wanting to pay by a Credit Card. They always ask you if you have a CC terminal and if you can take a card offline. They also are willing to pay for whatever the shipping is to their country by FedEx Overninght!!!

DO NOT FALL FOR IT ... these are scams with fake Credit Cards.

They prey on new sellers by offering them a quick sale and count on you being excited over it by often offering you more money than you expected to receive.

Had this happen numerous times to me. Recently, a client of mine selling high-end bikes with a new Ebay account received numerous e-mails like this within the first week of listing his products. SOme of them even offered to buy 2-3 pieces of the same bike. You can imagine how easy is to be excited about a buyer making you this offer ... DON'T FALL FOR IT!

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I've bought and sold quite a bit of stuff on ebay (mostly computer stuff).

As a buyer, I look for feedback and a good ad (pics and html). I'll often email the seller and ask questions. Can usually judge them by their response time/style. Feedback from other users is very important to me (both as a seller and buyer).

As a seller I try to post a good ad and give as much detail as possible (condition, model numbers, links to manufacturer sites). I also state my terms clearly - payment within 7 days, and I give a fixed postage cost too.

I use paypal and nochex (UK system similar to paypal). I don't like to receive personal cheques because it's a hassle to go to the bank for me.

I don't buy from or sell to people outside the UK (just my personal rule).

Send your goods using a recorded/insured delivery system.

Good luck!

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
I've been buying and selling a lot on Ebay, and have had pretty good experiences all around. I think the most important point about any listing is to be as honest as you can about your item. If you don't want to host tons of pictures, you can post one or two, and offer to email more to anyone interested. And don't forget that you can sell clothes too, so if you have any name-brand items collecting dust in your closet, it's a good way to get rid of them. I also agree that a realistic shipping price can help your sale; I just bought a very small item that would fit in a standard envelope, and the guy didn't even charge the $.37 for shipping.

As a buyer, I always email and ask specific questions if I feel the listing is at all ambiguous. I avoid people with low feedback; it just isn't worth the risk. I've never used an escrow.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
About avoiding sellers with no/low feedback.

It's like trying to get a job without experience! Heh.

I just never had much to sell.

However, the bid is up to over $192 with 5 days to go. If I can get at least a new CPU/Motherboard and Memory out of it, I will be happy, anything extra will be gravy for me! :D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the info in this thread. I am thinking of selling some stuff on eBay too, and have never used it before. Travis, please let us know how it goes. :)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Another pointer: auctions last 3/5/7/10 whole days from the time listed, so try to list it when your target audience will be home and likely to get into bidding wars.
eBay recently added the feature of allowing you to pick the ending time of your auction, so you don't have to wait for the "perfect" time anymore.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Heh, I am a member of Ars, my handle is MrBigglesworth on there.

However, the Budget Boxen is not in my future, lol.

I want at least:
Athlon 2600XP
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
512MB PC3000 or faster Ram.

Those are my fundementals of the first upgrade to a new box!

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
so try to list it when your target audience will be home and likely to get into bidding wars
I've found that people gett into bidding wars in the morning/afternoon during the week, which would suggest that they are in work. I guess there are more people that prefer the high speed connections that their employer offers when doing some of that annoying last minute bidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks