What's new

Seinfeld is coming next year! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
You know what f' them. I'm sorry, I liked the characters and all, but if this is all bitterness towards that "Seinfeld" curse, or their greedy wallets, then I don't want them reminiscing about the show. So nothing good has come to them since the show! Who can honestly believe that on paper, Bob Patterson looked good as a concept, or Krammer PI (or whatever the hell that was called). Jason Alexander should be so lucky that he is known as George. He's one of the biggest TV icons. Both Jerry and Larry David used that to their advantage. Look at Curb Your Enthuiasm, its basically HBO style Seinfeld and just as brilliant. Why shouldnt they milk it for the rest of their lives, obviously people want more Seinfeld.

If they don't want in, their lose. Neither Duchovny or Anderson ever did any interviews for the X Files sets and that didn't hurt the DVD sales. I really just want the show. It's one of those few TV properties thats so good, I don't need extras. I just want the show. So let them cry, but if we try to support them, then its only gonna hold up production of these discs even longer.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
If you "just want the show", it's rerunning endlessly in syndication. It's not like we're talking about a long-lost series here. I think it airs twice a day in most major markets. I would rather wait until the sets can be done right before they release the DVDs. I feel the same way about Simpsons.

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Weren't the 3 co-stars getting $600k/episode + syndiciation $$$ towards the end of the show. Now they want more $$$ for the dvd???..What's up with that??..Talk about being greedy!!! :thumbsdown:

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I think it airs twice a day in most major markets.
Infact, I've done one better then that. Since its taking this long, I've been downloading all of them.

However, I would love to own these shows on DVD as to preserve them for future reference. But to be honest, besides the exception of bloopers and a commentary by Seinfeld, possibly Larry David and the writers, what do the others really have to say?:

Alexander: Oh, here is a scene where I saw 2 solariums. See, that's funny. I should have gotten 1 mill an episode.

Richards: I was really into Zen writing during this episode. So you'll notice that Krammer is really becoming a symbol for the third eye in this season. He's the chakra of Jerry's soul.

Even if they did get forced to do it, their level of participation would degrade the quality of the DVDs I think.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Didnt they make like a million an episode during the last two seasons and they want MORE Money? :thumbsdown:

Greed. They made more money in one episode than I will ever make in a year or two or three.
Why cant they do interviews for the fans without monetary rewards?

As far as the last few season after Larry David Left, the show was bad and I dont mean in a good way. They should have quit while they were ahead.

Throughout the series there are instances of old escapades coming back to bite them in the arse, and them collectively shrugging it off. The final episode was everything they've ever done wrong coming down on them, and they still shrug it off.
Since througout the series they often did get what was coming to them, having them put in jail was just a horrible idea and dumb way to end the show. Its not like they hadnt been punished over and over again in front of our very eyes.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Reparations! :laugh:

See, I guess I'm one of the few who try to see the actors' side of the fence. Based on that article, it seems that a whole LOT of producers and executives are getting very wealthy off of the syndication and DVD rights...so why the hell shouldn't the three leads get a cut?

They seem to believe that, considering how monumentally profitable the show was, they weren't paid accordingly. To us, $600,000 an episode is a lot of money. (And it is!) But the LOTR crew were given nice bonuses when their films turned out to be more popular than anyone expected, so how is this situation any different?

Let's say the eventual Seinfeld S1 DVD brings in $12 million. You're telling me that Costanza and Benes and Kramer don't deserve a small piece of that pie?

I would respectfully disagree.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
See, I guess I'm one of the few who try to see the actors' side of the fence. Based on that article, it seems that a whole LOT of producers and executives are getting very wealthy off of the syndication and DVD rights...so why the hell shouldn't the three leads get a cut?
Because that wasn't a part of their contracts. I'm not saying cutting them a part of the action wouldn't be the right thing to do. I think they deserve part of the profits, and they shouldn't even have to ask.

But they were paid handsomely for their contributions and whether they get a cut or not, they should have the good grace to participate anyway as a tribute to a franchise that brought them so much.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned. But I can see why people are calling them greedy; we expect the studios and producers to be greedy bastards. For whatever reason, maybe because of the joy they've brought us through their characters over the years, we expect a bit more from them.

So yeah, I personally am rooting for them to get their share. But I'm also disappointed that they would hold out over such a petty thing. If our positions were reversed I think I'd be quietly pissed but I'd never-the-less participate for the fans. Who knows though.

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
I don`t understand the big deal here. So there won`t be any commentary tracks by those 3. Is that really a big deal? Does a TV box set really need all kinds of extras. Isn`t the most important thing the actual episodes? Since those have all ready been filmed whats the problem. I really couldn`t care less who the hell profits from the sale.

Just my opinion

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But they were paid handsomely for their contributions and whether they get a cut or not, they should have the good grace to participate anyway as a tribute to a franchise that brought them so much.
That sounds sort of sanctimonious. "You should just be so happy with what you've got that you should do things for free!" I mean, what right do you, I, or anyone have to expect other people to give of their time for our entertainment and edification.

It's like the people who say "Lucas owes us!" No-one owes us anything. We "paid" for their previous work, whether it be by buying a ticket or sitting through ads (or fast-forwarding through them, or having them shot blipvert-style into our brains with ReplayTV jumps), and that's where their obligation ends. You want more from them, don't expect it for free.

They have a right to expect to be paid for their time, and they deserve it - how many of us have ever said "well, I'd buy it if there were more features..." or "I won't pay $XX for a bare-bones DVD"? Their participation will generate more revenue, and they deserve a part of that.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
How would you like it if your last employer called & said "You were paid well when you worked here & we want you to come back & do some more work for free"?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Greed. They made more money in one episode than I will ever make in a year or two or three.
True, but I don't think it's as simple as greed. If you know someone will make money off your efforts and you get little - if anything - in return, you're less likely to do it. I don't think it's a matter of greed and a "screw the fans" attitude - I think the actors in question see how much money OTHERS will make off of the DVDs and logically wonder why they shouldn't get a piece...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
How would you like it if your last employer called & said "You were paid well when you worked here & we want you to come back & do some more work for free"?
As I just noted they were offered a recording fee as compensation for participation. A more appropriate comparison would be: How would you like it if your last employer calced & offered you some more work for a little bonus check.

I'm not saying they're being greedy for wanting a piece of the DVD pie. I am saying that I feel they're being petty by letting financial arguments stand in the way of participating and making a better experience for their former viewers.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering about DVD promation tie-ins as well. Maybe with Jr Mints?
No votes for a Pez dispenser?

My personal indicator of how great a series Seinfeld was: Every time I read through the TV listings for the day and see a Seinfeld episode listed by title, I invariably laugh when I think back to what it consisted of. No other show comes close to having that effect.

Count me as one who thought the final season was among the best, if not THE best. Lots of classics in there. The backward episode (apparently "The Betrayal") has to be my all-time favorite, but there are probably several dozen others that I could consider as favorites at various times... The final episode seemed a bit odd to me initially, but it grew on me and seemed a very appropriate way to tie things up. Basically an acknowledgement to its history, as well as a way of ending things without really ending them, which is sort of what us fans wanted all along.

Some of the early episodes are a bit slow for my taste. Much less refined in the plot and humor department than later entries. Jokes are run into the ground... The parking garage and chinese restaurant are a few that come to mind. Fortunately, the slow ones are few and far between.

Regarding the 3 co-stars potentially not participating, I can think of one non-monetary issue that I don't see mentioned above. As I recall, a) it was Jerry's decision to cancel the show; the other 3 wished to continue on, and b) Jerry was rather critical of the others for the career decisions they made following the cancellation of the show (can hardly blame him). I can see both of those being sore spots, even if the difference is officially explained as being monetary.

Dan

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Yep, and just as the public cannot keep their word to boycott baseball, I'd assume this DVD set will sell millions regardless of the extra content (or lack thereof).

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I wont deny the imput those 3 had into making the show a sucess, but they have to realize that they did not create the show. Thus, they cannot reap the benifits like Jerry and Larry David can.

I'd like to think however, that those 3 have made enough money to still live quite comfertably. Thus, not requring such incentive for a show that has done so much for them? But what do I know.

Like I said before, I dont care if they are a part of the forthcoming DVDs or not. I would rather hear from the writers about the background to each episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks