What's new

Seinfeld is coming next year! (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
One of my favorite episodes was the 2-part "The Boyfriend". This is the one that guest-starred NY Mets First Baseman Keith Hernandez.
In my opinion, "The Boyfriend" is the single funniest hour of comedy in television history.

"The Contest" gets the prize for half-hour.

"I'm out". With the possible exception of the final moments of the "Turkeys Away" episode of "WKRP", I've never laughed harder in my life.

These sets cannot come out soon enough.

Brian O

Second Unit
The Contest was THE episode that really put the show on the map. The comedic writing and timing was just superb and the excellent way a sensitive subject was "played with" was just incredible.:D

The JFK episode was another classic. So was the Shrinkage one at the seashore with the lobsters and the baby.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I'd have to disagree with anyone who thinks the ninth season is subpar...some of the best episodes are from that season (like "The Frogger"), and I'd personally rank it at least fourth or fifth best season overall.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Here's my Bonus Features/Premiums wish list from a previous thread (not that there's anything wrong with that);

$1.00 Off Coupon for 3.2 oz. package of Costanza's Pudding Skin Singles

Mail-in Coupon for FREE 30 gal. trash bag of Muffin Stumps

Set of 4 PEZ Dispensers - Jerry, George, Elaine & Kramer

0.2 oz. Ocean by Calvin Klein perfume sample

Notarized Certificate verifying the DVD set you just bought has NEVER been in a bathroom

Learn The Elaine Dance Instructional Featurette hosted by Raquel Welch

Making Mulagatani Featurette hosted by Emeril Lagasse

NEWMAN! The Truth About The USPS Featurette hosted by Postmaster General John Potter

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Ironically, my two favorites are ones that nobody seems to mention.

1. The episode where Jerry and the gang go to a circumcision and the mohel (the rabbi who performs it) is a complete nut. Not only did I bring this into Hebrew school class many years ago (my teacher liked it), I also performed the scene in a speech class last year.

Mohel: "I should have been a Kosher butcher like my brother. The money's good, he's got a union with benefits. I mean a cow doesn't have family. You make a mistake with a cow, you move on with your life."

2. The episode where George loses his glasses and accidentally gets ladies' glasses. He's wearing them, eating pretzels, and Kramer walks up to him and says, "May I have one of those, Madam?" Elaine at one point gets bitten by a dog. Jerry takes her to the doctor's office for medication. Elaine asks the doctor (who is foreign) if she'll need a shot.

Elaine: "Will I need a shot?"
Doctor: "Not shot. Dog bite. Woof woof. Not bang bang."

One interesting feature they could include on DVD are scripts for episodes that were never shot. I was reading about 2 scripts that Larry Charles (the other Larry) wrote that NBC deemed too dark: one where Elaine buys a gun, and the other where George accidentally makes a racist comment.

As for the final episode, I respect everyone's opinion but, for me, the episode failed on one basic level: it didn't make me laugh. Okay, maybe once or twice. I get the idea and I love what they tried to do but I guess the execution wasn't up to par. I don't know. It's just me. Also, Kramer laughing at the plight of the big guy (the one that's mugged) seemed oddly out of character.

StevenA

Second Unit
I don't get the hate that is poured on that episode. Personally, I loved it. It was funny, plus it acknowledged something that I think most people didn't really like to admit - that these people were not nice people. As another example, witness the outcry regarding (being vague for those, like Ron, who haven't seen the show) a certain person's reaction to another person's tragic death by invitation. People seemed shocked that that character would behave in such a way, but its entirely consistant with that character's character. People seem to view the characters with such affection that they forget they are, and are intended to be, real b*****ds. The great thing about the final episode was that it put this fact in centre stage. I loved the episode.
One of the things I dislike about the final episode (apart from the fact that it is largely a glorified clip show, which is disgraceful for such a long-anticipated event) is that it started to judge the characters. Any intelligent person with an ounce of moral fibre has always known that these people say and do things that are often not very nice (!), but part of the joy of the show was that it revelled in their behaviors and we still loved them despite their foibles. Once the writers stood back and said "look, these people are horrible, they're all horrible" (to paraphrase Marla :) ), the fun went out of it (for me, at least).

I also think the tragic incident you were referring to was actually out of character for George. He often dispayed intense guilt, an attribute which was suddenly absent for that entire plot thread. I don't think he would have felt sympathy for the person in question, or for the person in question's family, but he would have felt enormously sorry for himself at having the incident on his conscience :D.

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
Just to follow up on an earlier statement, that Simpsons has more mass appeal than Seinfeld...

I believe that The Simpsons, in an international perspective, will appeal a lot more to the masses than Seinfeld will, because Seinfeld is a very 'American' show. You have to be quite knowlegable (sp?) in US popular culture to get many of the jokes/gimmicks/puns in Seinfeld.
The Simpsons deals more with universal issues and human personality that is more widely understood by people with different cultural backgrounds. Therefore, I think Simpsons will sell a lot more DVDs, globally, than Seinfeld ever will.

I think both Seinfeld and the Simpsons are excellent shows.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Therefore, I think Simpsons will sell a lot more DVDs, globally, than Seinfeld ever will.
I agree with you there. Unless each set comes with a 300 page book explaining in great detail the context behind each joke.

-------------------

The Re-Gifter (Noun) - A person who who receives a gift they are dissatisfied with, and then use it as a gift for someone else at a later date.

Context: In North American it is considered quite dishonorable to reuse a gift. Not only is it insulting to the original giver of the gift, as well as the receiver; but also questions the monetary status of the re-gifter.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Since there are 17 episodes in the first two seasons combined, can we expect them together rather than an initial release of just the first season's five episodes? Has Columbia released any other shows this way?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
he would have felt enormously sorry for himself at having the incident on his conscience
Normally, yes, but given his obligation to the dear departed, and given what he had lost as a result of that obligation, his reaction seemed completely in character.

He probably felt bad about it at a later date, but at the time I can completely accept that he had been constantly thinking "I lost an opportunity to...", and so when the death occured the first thought would have been "Now's my opportunity".

Always remember, these are awful people who we would hate if we actually knew them, so people shouldn't be surprised when they do things we dislike.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I'm gonna have to say "The Phone Message" is my favorite episode, it's also a pretty early one being Episode 9. Even earlier than that it was supposed to be a SNL sketch that Larry David wrote.

I cannot wait for these DVDs.

"Tippy Toe! Tippy Toe!"

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Seinfeld is perhaps the most original comedy series ever to come on TV. A show about "nothing" proved to be about something indeed. What I loved most was how they would start an episode with a small piece of information that would then branch off into two, three or even four different subplots that would somehow all get tied up in the end.

I just saw the shaving episode the other night and love how they tied it to The Wolfman at the very end.

I have been waiting for this DVD set for a long time and will count the months until it is released.

"So...you're the Assman!" :D

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
This is going to hinge for extras, at least for me. As by this point I've pretty much got ever episode memorized, and it's still syndicated like 18 times a day on the various channels I have on satellite.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
One of the things I dislike about the final episode (apart from the fact that it is largely a glorified clip show, which is disgraceful for such a long-anticipated event) is that it started to judge the characters. Any intelligent person with an ounce of moral fibre has always known that these people say and do things that are often not very nice (!), but part of the joy of the show was that it revelled in their behaviors and we still loved them despite their foibles. Once the writers stood back and said "look, these people are horrible, they're all horrible" (to paraphrase Marla ), the fun went out of it (for me, at least).
I disagree, there are two aspects to the Seinfeld asthetic at play. First, they don't care about consequences for their actions. AND SECOND, there are ALWAYS consequences for their actions. Throughout the series there are instances of old escapades coming back to bite them in the arse, and them collectively shrugging it off. The final episode was everything they've ever done wrong coming down on them, and they still shrug it off.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I really hope that the DVD has the OZ parody that Seinfeld did on SNL after the series ended. "What's with this place? It's so 'clique-y'."

The final episode was everything they've ever done wrong coming down on them, and they still shrug it off.
Well said.

One of my favorite parts of the series closer actually happens on the plane as it was going down. George almost declares his love for Jerry, Jerry and Elaine almost admit love for each other. Good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks