What's new

Segway Buyers Are Going Nuts! (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I think there are some overlooked markets here as well. Pedestrian city and suburb use isn't the only use for a Segway. Here's a few that could be a welcome niche for a safe and cheap people mover:

* Parking cops and attendants. Good old meter maids could ditch those $20,000 electric carts and use $5,000 segways. Would be a heck of a lot easier to get into and out of as well.

* Theme Parks. I love the Magical Kingdom, but don't like the Magical Blisters. Renting a couple of these for a day at $50 would make a lot of people very happy and very much less sore the next day.

* Airports. Ever tried to move between terminals at an airport that is poorly set up? Drop $5 to rent one of these and no worries. And don't complain me about speed problems in the Airport, I'm already knocked around by plenty of people going 10-15 mph on foot.

* Jobsites/Warehouses. I know plenty of places where people ride around on electric forklifts in their warehouses because it's just too big to walk. So would you rather wear down a $75,000 forklift moving one person or a $5,000 segway? I could see these thing being standard issue in such places.

I'm still not buying one for myself, but just trying to show the uses of it if you have an open mind. I think the Segway will be around for a while, interesting to see where it eventually goes.

E

Eric Kahn

most big warehouses already have bicycles or little 3 wheel electric carts for people who need to go from one end to the other constantly and they are about $1000 and use standard golfcart batteries

I can not see any warehouse or large factory buying segway's for general use because of the high price, cost of ongoing maintenance, and the real inability to carry anything larger than a briefcase

now I can see the executives blowing money on a segway just so they can be different when they cruise the building

I just wish my facility did not have 7 floors in 2 different bldg's so we could use bicycles, we have to hoof it everywhere with our tools

I see no difference in someone laying out 5 grand for a segway, it is no different than when I paid 17 grand for a Harley, which was essentially a toy for me, even if I drove it back and forth to work alot
or no different than the $3000 worth of speakers in my living room:D

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I tell ya where I could see these taking off is in college campuses. The price would need to come down drastically though. I sure could use on her on campus. I'd like to get one eventually though, when they aren't soo expensive.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Joe brings up some good uses for the Segway, but I was talking about their potential for replacing (wholly or partially) forms of transport in the PUBLIC sector like, of course, the automobile, public transit or the bicycle, or even walking. All the ideas Joe mentioned are for use in private or very limited public/government use. I'm not saying that the Segway won't be successful in it's own right, but it won't be getting people out of their car commutes.

All the reasons mentioned about bicycles such as maneuverability and size are also correct (I failed to mention them). Yes, bicycles are allowed on some sidewalks (especially the ones that pedestrians don't use, which is probably most of them), but not ones where the potential to use them as a commutting device would be feasible, such as in a major city.

This isn't a fact. It's an assertion based upon your belief that Segways should be banned from sidewalks due to their speed.
If speed was the deciding factor, then I would be including bicycles and rollerblades in this discussion, which I'm not. Most cities DON'T have the infrastructure to deal with the Segway (or the bicycle, for that matter). Not in a safe manner anyway. How many drivers here bitch when there is a bicyclist sharing the roadway with you and you have to pass them?

At least where I lived most of my life (Melbourne, FL), drivers would just as soon run you down than pay you any mind whatsoever. Pedestrians/bicyclists are a nuisance to them. So the roads are off limits. Sidewalks? Most of us have already decided it's a bad idea for the most part. So where does that leave the Segway? Multi-use/recreational paths. Which I'm all for, and certain parts of the country, notable the NW, have made progress in providing.

I'm not a Segway-hater, just a realist. I'd like to have alternate forms of transport in the US more than anyone, but I don't think the Segway is the answer. It could be successful in it's own right for various relatively small scale uses, but not as an alternative for commuting and shopping. I think the technology IN the Segway is worth more than the actual Segway itself.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Why can you only assume that? Do you have any basis for this assumption? I would argue that most people travel alone in their car because that's the only mode of transportation they have that doesn't require effort on their part. I know many people who have only a few miles to work (and sidewalks, mostly empty, sadly, and bikepaths along the whole way), but still drive, and it has nothing to do with what you're assuming. I think a reasonably priced Segway could make a dent in that 74% figure.

/Mike

MarcVH

Second Unit

I suspect most college campuses wouldn't want them brought inside buildings, which means parking outside. On most college campuses, bicycle theft is rampant. I'm not sure using an expensive toy in such a place would be advisable.

There are definitely major cities where bicycling on the sidewalk is legal; mine (Seattle) is one of them. It's still not a good idea, though.

Anyway, yeah, I don't see more than a handful of people commuting on a Segway, but not primarily for the reasons cited. I've known quite a few people who worked within a mile of their homes, but most still drove there every day. Why? Some have physically demanding jobs that leave them disinclined to have any more physical activity. Some are still trapped in high-school mode, where they think that your car makes you cool and not using one makes you a dork. It varies, but few of these people would ride a Segway either.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Jobsites/Warehouses. I know plenty of places where people ride around on electric forklifts in their warehouses because it's just too big to walk. So would you rather wear down a $75,000 forklift moving one person or a $5,000 segway? I could see these thing being standard issue in such places.
If I were an employer, I would forbid such practices, not buy a Segway so more employees could still wear down their forklifts while giving them another toy to troll around on.

The Segway is simply a toy for people with disposable income. It does not belong on sidewalks (neither do bikes or other forms of electrical transportation), and does not make sense unless you commute only a couple miles to work and there is never inclement weather in the area (highly doubtful). The infrastructure is just not in place, and I for one will not support efforts to put it in place for so called green transportation. If you don't like cars, and want to get somewhere as fast or faster then a Segway, ride your bike. It doesn't use up precious non-renewable resources like the Segway, and will help you get in shape.

J

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Of course, all the negatives you just described about the Segway applies to a bike too, except the issue of power and the fact that people get tired and sweaty when riding a bike. So what you're essentially saying is "If you don't like cars, and want to get somewhere as fast or faster then a Segway, then you should be SOL, because I say so."

/Mike

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Of course, all the negatives you just described about the Segway applies to a bike too
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Very true! Segways fit the bill for people who have the capability of riding a bike to work but don't want to deal with the hassles. Bikes require you to put forth the power and are larger than Segways. You can jump on a Segway, "glide" to work and park the thing in the corner of your office. Not the case with a bike.

Of course, I'm one to talk. I ride an electric-assisted recumbent to work when it's warm enough out and park the thing right in my office. But I have a huge office and work in an environment where I can get away with pushing a bicycle down the halls.

If I lived closer to work I would trade the bike for a Segway. We have a huge campus here and getting from one building to another requires a 10 minute walk. The main hallway in my laboratory is 1/3 of a mile long. If I rode a Segway to work I could also use it to ride around the halls, in between buildings, etc. Can't do that with my bike. But my commute is 12 miles one way, which is fine on a bike, but wouldn't be much fun on a Segway (unless I could coax it up to 25mph... then I'd be set!).

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I suspect most college campuses wouldn't want them brought inside buildings, which means parking outside. On most college campuses, bicycle theft is rampant. I'm not sure using an expensive toy in such a place would be advisable.
Well I'm sure there is a way to lock it up. Chain it up like a bike. Does this thing start like a car with a key or something?

Plus, how heavy is it? Bikes are light and easy to steal. I'm sure a Segway is quite a bit heavier.

You'd be amazed to what kids can afford and to what the parents are willing to buy them.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The Segway HT will save you time and money. And it will make places we live cleaner and quieter
Check out this link from their website for my main issue with this device:

http://www.segway.com/segway/environment.html

I have seen Segway supporters and Segway themselves constantly mention the green benefits of their device versus automobiles while not A.) Addressing the electrical power consumption and associated pollution and use of resources or B.) Comparing a Segway to a Bicycle (an obvious losing comparison).

One again, I will say this is nothing more then the newest toy on the market and not a revolution in travel.

J

JoshF

Supporting Actor
And I agree with the poster who pointed out about people spending money on HT equipment, yet think $5000 on Segway is a waste. Seriously, who are we in this forum to criticize people for being lazy when our toughest activity is pushing a button a remote?
Ahh, but having a home theater isn't a substitute for potential exercise or energy-efficient transportation. A Segway is.

The only similarity they have is that they're both unnecessary and expensive toys.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Very true! Segways fit the bill for people who have the capability of riding a bike to work but don't want to deal with the hassles. Bikes require you to put forth the power and are larger than Segways. You can jump on a Segway, "glide" to work and park the thing in the corner of your office. Not the case with a bike.
The point is that Bikes have been available throughout the lifetime of the car and yet people still use cars for their travel. I think regardless of the mode of transportation most people would like to avoid taking an hour to travel 10 miles outdoors in the rain, cold, extreme heat, etc..... Of course they could always make an enclosed Segway with more power and speed add a seat and maybe a steering wheel...Oh wait, that's the electric car...

J

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I really don't understand what you're getting at. You want people to not use Segways because they're only more fuel efficient than cars and only more convenient than bikes, when they "should" be 100% environmental friendly and completely invisible?

Yes, if they are a nuissance (a REAL nuissance, not a perceived one just because other people can't afford them or don't want one) or a danger, there has to be regulations for them. But an all-encompassing ban would be insane.

And please give up the "people need exercise" argument. It's not up to us to decide how people should live their lives.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I really don't understand what you're getting at. You want people to not use Segways because they're only more fuel efficient than cars and only more convenient than bikes, when they "should" be 100% environmental friendly and completely invisible?
I never once said for people not to use a Segway, stop trying to put words in my mouth please. I stated it is merely a toy and there should be no additional infrastructure put in place to accomodate a device with a very very small target audience.

People need to stop making this year's Razor Scooter (albeit a more expensive one) out to be the next "revolution" in travel. Let's now get back to reality.

J

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Why do people need to do that? May I remind you of your advice "You should watch out when you do too much thinking for other people"? :)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
You're right, you never said for people not to use a Segway.
You just want them off the sidewalks, off the streets, not used in businesses, not used when going to mass transit vehicles, and not create any new infrastructure for them. But you're right, you've not opposed that they be used in people's backyards.
You do have a problem with trying to put words in one's mouth. All I did was provide counterpoints to some arguments presented here for the Segway and not surprisingly there have been no valid responses to my counterpoints. Never once did I say a Segway belongs off the street (putting words in my mouth again). I think it would be foolish to use a Segway in certain places on the street, but the same thing goes for any non-automotive device. I posted that neither bikes nor Segway belong on sidewalks, which is just common sense.

Your points are getting more and more hilarious Mike. Go buy your new toy, it does not make a difference to me one way or another. I for one will be passing on this "revolution".

Later,

J

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Think of me! :)
I see several people every day that go to work on bikes and motorcycles. True, most people don't go in extremely bad weather, but who has said that they have to? They can just take the car on those days, right?

/Mike

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I see several people every day that go to work on bikes and motorcycles. True, most people don't go in extremely bad weather, but who has said that they have to? They can just take the car on those days, right?
Hopefully that car they take on bad days is electric ;)

J

millercv

Second Unit
I'm taking a wait and see approach myself - I think they are neat but won't be buying one anytime soon.

Last time we were at Disney World (Decemeber) we not only saw a demo but there were managers using them to get back and forth around the place.

The most innovative use was prior to one of the night time parades they had one outfitted to sell all the various light-up doo-dads (lightsabers, spinny things, glow necklaces, etc). The CM was probably able to cover the whole parade route and actually go up to people wanting to buy things (instead of vice-versa with the old carts).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks