What's new

Seemingly never out of print dvds you'd like to see upgraded (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
While many films have seen many rereleases throughout the DVD reign-and were remastered, had uoppdated features, etc-there are a group of dvds that have never gone out of print.-yet never were upgraded in anyway. These DVD s are your spinster Aunts-you love them because they are still around-but feel bad that they never felt the need to gussy themselves up to grab a man (or vice versa W/ UNCLES).
My choices would be :
The Fury : While almost all of DePalmas other important films have received either Criterion attention (Sisters) , or have been upgraded immensely (Carrie, Dressed to Kill)- The Fury has stayed barebones except for trailer. This cries out for remastering and extras. Its topicality with Middle East scenes deserve attention.
The Changeling- one of rthe most beautifully shot and eerie horror films of alltime never got unleashed from its HBO barebones dungeon. Surely this deserves at least an anormorphic transition.
The Rose: I never understood the disrespect for this on dvd. This would be a Twilight Time stunner.
The Wanderers: One of my favorite movies ever.
Rollercoaster, Two Minute Warning,Earthquake, The Hindenburg, Gray Lady Down : How cool would these look and sound on Blu? Earthquake is no less important than The Toweing Inferno or The Poseidon Adventure-but yet their bare bones releaasses are like their subject matter-a Disaster!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
The Fury : While almost all of DePalmas other important films have received either Criterion attention (Sisters) , or have been upgraded immensely (Carrie, Dressed to Kill)- The Fury has stayed barebones except for trailer. This cries out for remastering and extras. Its topicality with Middle East scenes deserve attention.
I'd be into a reissued THE FURY, but its brief foray into Israel for location shooting in the opening scene doesn't really grant the film "topicality" with regards to Middle East issues. Serious commentary or examination of Middle East conflicts was far from De Palma's top priority here...this is an entertaining, well-crafted comic book thriller. Incidentally, did you see BAM's presentation last year in their De Palma series? Good print.
The Wanderers: One of my favorite movies ever.
You and me both, Louis.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Jon Hertzberg said:
I'd be into a reissued THE FURY, but its brief foray into Israel for location shooting in the opening scene doesn't really grant the film "topicality" with regards to Middle East issues. Serious commentary or examination of Middle East conflicts was far from De Palma's top priority here...this is an entertaining, well-crafted comic book thriller. Incidentally, did you see BAM's presentation last year in their De Palma series? Good print.
You and me both, Louis.
I did not see this at Bam -wish I had. I'm sure its beautiful.
You are right-DePalma meant this as no more than a popcorn flick (Pauline Kael raved about that)- but as scary as some of the scenes were (I couldnt get the spinning woman image out of my mind for years) -DePalma offered some humor and sly commentary-I'm sure intentionally-with the amusement park scene.
I'm not to sure if the ending will hold up under Bluray scrutiny-which is a concern. The score was also amazing.
The Stevens family had a scary Spring with this and mama Stella's The Manitou a month later. Andrew was at his best here. I know he became a fairly successful producer but he cannot be more than 53-55-and could be doing some fine character acting today.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Several very good thrillers, horrors & dramas that could use a revisit:
No Way Out (1987) with Kevin Costner. One of the best modern thrillers ever concocted. Easily available just about everywhere real cheap but could benefit quite a bit from a good scrubbing.
Narrow Margin (1987) with Gene Hackman. If you love suspense films this is your ticket. Extra credit for being set on a train through the Canadian wilderness. The transfer is old and ugly. From Artisan, of course.
The Flight of the Phoenix. The original, of course, not the Hip Hop remake. I first saw this film when I was about 12 - never forgot it.
The Seventh Sign (1988) with Demi Moore. Gets better with every viewing - a truly underappreciated flick.
Tons of early MGM DVDs: Motel Hell, Scanners, Miracle Mile, F/X 1 & 2, Meteor, The Day After, most of the Cannon library - all could use true upgrades.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I would love to see a better version of HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING. All that wonderful color would be awesome on blu-ray. The existing, still-in-print DVD, is a non-anamorphic mess (although better than nothing for those who love the film). The soundtrack album is in spritely stereo, it would be great if they could give the film a stereo soundtrack as well (it suprises me that in 1967 it didn't have a stereo track to begin with).
I would also love a better version of BULLETS OVER BROADWAY. Another non-anamorphic DVD that gets harder to watch the bigger the display.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Nic Roeg's The Witches
It deserves a release in the correct ratio, with loads of extras.
Raggedy Man
It needs correct ratio and the original version prior to the cuts made for it to obtain a PG rating.
The Long Walk Home
Proper ratio and print as opposed to the original release that was 4x3 and looked like it was taken from a video master.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
How about the John Travolta movie MICHAEL - it is still in print as a pan and scan DVD that was apprently mastered in 1997 and has never been redone.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
SUMMER LOVERS (1982) with Daryl Hannah and Peter Gallagher has never been released on home video other than P&S rather than the film's 2.35 Panavision ratio. A pity because the Greek locations are gorgeous.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Thomas T said:
SUMMER LOVERS (1982) with Daryl Hannah and Peter Gallagher has never been released on home video other than P&S rather than the film's 2.35 Panavision ratio. A pity because the Greek locations are gorgeous.
I want SUMMER LOVERS reissued on Blu-ray in OAR as well, but it should be pointed out that the correct aspect ratio is 1.85. Maltin's video guide mistakenly listed the film as Panavision, which led to the belief that this is a scope film. I have the film's original press kit, which lists the OAR as 1.85 and judging from the DVD, it looks to be a case of open matte rather than pan 'n scan. Discussed on this forum way back when in several threads.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I want SHARKY'S MACHINE issued in OAR on Blu. I suspect that it will more likely end up as a Warner Archive reissue a la VISION QUEST.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Jon Hertzberg said:
I want SHARKY'S MACHINE issued in OAR on Blu. I suspect that it will more likely end up as a Warner Archive reissue a la VISION QUEST.
[
Was VisionQuest upgraded in any way?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Jon Hertzberg said:
I want SUMMER LOVERS reissued on Blu-ray in OAR as well, but it should be pointed out that the correct aspect ratio is 1.85. Maltin's video guide mistakenly listed the film as Panavision, which led to the belief that this is a scope film. I have the film's original press kit, which lists the OAR as 1.85 and judging from the DVD, it looks to be a case of open matte rather than pan 'n scan. Discussed on this forum way back when in several threads.
On Facebook, Valerie Quennessen's son, Antoine, has said of SUMMER LOVERS and Randal Kleiser, whom he is in touch with:
The Master has just been re-digitized. Please be patient. Mr Kleiser would like to make a proper release of it very soon !

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Jon Hertzberg said:
On Facebook, Valerie Quennessen's son, Antoine, has said of SUMMER LOVERS and Randal Kleiser, whom he is in touch with:
Awesome! Summer Lovers was a daring movie for its time. American movies became more like European movies in the early 80s as Making Love, Personal Best, Summer Lovers, Blame it on Rio, Class brought controversial themes that were commonplace in Europen cinema for years.But somehow, they seemed watered down-yet still titilating -in English.
Stay as You Are, Going Places, Beau Pere , Murmur of the Heart have not found their American equals.
Why Not? was basically the blueprint for Summer Lovers and One Wild Moment was remade as Blame it on Rio (itself being remade -in France -with Best Actor Jean Djurdain). At least these movies retained sex and nudity. When Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands -one of the sexiest movies EVER -was remade as Kiss Me Goodbye-it became sexless.
I love Summer Lovers-beautifully done.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
Awesome! Summer Lovers was a daring movie for its time. American movies became more like European movies in the early 80s as Making Love, Personal Best, Summer Lovers, Blame it on Rio, Class brought controversial themes that were commonplace in Europen cinema for years.But somehow, they seemed watered down-yet still titilating -in English.
Stay as You Are, Going Places, Beau Pere , Murmur of the Heart have not found their American equals.
Why Not? was basically the blueprint for Summer Lovers and One Wild Moment was remade as Blame it on Rio (itself being remade -in France -with Best Actor Jean Djurdain). At least these movies retained sex and nudity. When Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands -one of the sexiest movies EVER -was remade as Kiss Me Goodbye-it became sexless.
I love Summer Lovers-beautifully done.
I will have to see this WHY NOT? Big SUMMER LOVERS fan. I was so bummed last summer when my friend who programs 92Y Tribeca scheduled SUMMER LOVERS for a time when I was out of town. When is that going to screen on 35mm in NY again?! She had a Skype interview with Randal Kleiser after the screening and Valerie's son showed up, which was good because that got him and Kleiser connected and now's he reporting good news via FB, as you see above.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
New Line Cinema released WHY NOT? in 1978. It was compared to JULES AND JIM. It was a terrific movie directed by Colin's Serrau who would later direct THREE MEN AND A CRADLE....which negate THREE MEN AND A BABY.
I would have gone to Ham to see SUMMER LOVERS on the big screen again. I can hear Chicago's Hold Me Now....now!
C

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
"Annie" (1982 Columbia) - Come on, it's the 30th Anniversary - new LBX DVD & Blu-Ray with the making of special "Lights,Camera Annie" as an extra.
Not much to ask,is it? (Everyone has a guilty pleasure)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks