Seeking advice on HK AVR520 service/repair

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt Sweeney, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Matt Sweeney

Matt Sweeney Extra

Hi everyone,
    I recently (well, we'll get to what "recently" means in a second) brought my AVR520 into my local authorized service center for an issue I described in the thread with post id 1890822. (Won't let me post a link to this forum. I wouldn't think that would be a problem.) Basically, I was getting random popping sounds from the receiver when using digital inputs and the tech repairing it suggested that it was the digital decoder board on the receiver.

It has been two months now since I brought it in and although they have replaced 3 ICs (all dealing with the digitial decoder), the problem is still not fixed. I've never been in this situation with a piece of equipment before and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to petition HK or the service center to get it sent to HK to finally get fixed quickly or get a new unit since this one obviously has issues.

I feel that I have been patient with the service center, but it takes 7-10 days for them to get parts a lot of times, and I feel HK would fix it in a few days (I would like to hear your experiences on service directly from HK as well). Anyway, I would appreciate you advice since I need do something about this on Monday when the service tech is back on the job. Thanks,

Matt

2. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Write a letter to HK(snail mail, NOT email). Be firm, but most of all, be polite.

If you have had pleasant history with HK, let them know to that effect, or if you have heard good of HK and based your buying decision on that, let them know too. Basically, try to put a spin on how you have had expectations of HK quality, and how you have been disappointed. Again, be firm but polite.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Exactly. Maybe something like this:

Dear H/K:

Up until recently, I have been quite happy with my H/K AVR-520 receiver. However, I experienced some issues which led me to take it to my local service center. Now, this is where the issues really start to begin. The local service center has had my receiver for xx weeks and after 3 separate attempt to resolve the issue, it still has not been corrected.

As a result of my suffering through this time period of not using my wonderful AVR-520 receiver, I feel quite mistreated in this situation. Perhaps, you might offer me a AVR-7200 receiver and, in exchange, you can keep my old AVR-520, which, so far, shows very few signs of ever getting back to the level in which it was when I first purchased it.

Regards,

Alfred E. Newman

4. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Matt,

Just curious, do you know if they added two diodes to the DSP board? It is a service bulletin, in the 320 and 520 service manual. It is for complaints of "no audio, noise, intermittent noise, and intermittent audio". It is caused by voltage too high on DSP buffer IC or DSP IC. Also, for 110/210/310/510/120/220, but there is a different recommended solution.

5. Matt Sweeney

Matt Sweeney Extra

Thanks to Jason and Wayne for your suggestions and advice.

John, I'm not certain if they did the repair you specified. From my conversations with the service tech. the only fixes that have been performed were on the digital decoder board. I will ask on Monday and see what they say.

Is there anything else I should ask them to test while it is in the shop? I remember reading about some people have a problem with the LFE channel being -10db for DTS (I think). I haven't really tested this out yet because I don't own a 5.1 setup yet.

I should also mention that I purchased the unit the ecost.com, and it is a harman refurb. I didn't know Wayne if you had experience before (or if anyone else did) asking for a replacement receiver, and if the fact I bought it from ecost would affect that. At this point I've had the unit in the shop for about half the time that I've owned it (since 8/30/03).

And John, do you know where I could get a service manual so I'm up on these service bulletins and other information that might be helpful for the 520? Thanks in advance.

I greatly appreciate all your advice and taking the time to help. Thanks,

Matt

6. JohnSer

Matt,

Here is the link to AVR520 Service Manual Its a rather large pdf, having 95 pages with many graphics. You'll look at it and wonder how they could ever take these apart and put them back together. The only other service bulletin, is for the unit loosing its memory settings. The rest is typical service bulletin, exploded views, adjusting bias, schematics, and parts list.

The LFE issue, is design issue, and is not a failure of the unit. The other well publicized issue, has to do with the surround rear preouts. I believe the diode fix, is the initial attempt that HK will do for that, as well.

On another note, my son's AVR 310, lost its right channel this week [​IMG] I just confirmed that it is the unit, and it will need to go back for warrantee repair. It was a refurb purchased in spring 03.

7. Matt Sweeney

Matt Sweeney Extra

I talked to the guy at the service center today (he was not in yesterday) and he said they already did the fix specified in the service bulletin. That was actually the first thing they tried, he told me. From how he spoke it sounded like he was not certain what to do next. They've tried that service bulletin fix and putting in three different new ICs (IC102, IC101, and IC107). He's going to be speaking with techs at HK again today. I'm sending my letter out today to plead with HK. Thanks for all your help and wish me luck. Thanks,

Matt

Edit: I need the address to mail to HK. Should I try calling first and get the snail mail address from them at their customer support number? Thanks!

8. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

JohnSer,

Do you know if the service bulletin actually fixes the defective Logic7 SBR issue? I took my 320 in for that problem, but the tech wasn't convinced that it would fix it, and she was afraid to 'go in there' and do something for nothing. Alas, nothing was done.

9. JohnSer

Baldemar, it is either that fix or an unpublished one. I had some communication with HK, and they insist that it goes into a center, to try a repair first. No exchanges, like they were initialy doing. So far, I have been too chicken to take my 520 in for it. If it doesn't fix it, they would probably exchange it for a x25 model, but it will probably be a refurb. I have a year left on the warratee, and would probably have to have another issue, before sending it in.

JohnS

10. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I called HK about the SBR problem with Logic 7 on my 320 and received a new 325 in exchange. Maybe they stopped doing the swap out after that. This was back in July. But did they actually come up with a fix for that defect?

11. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Greg,

When I first contacted HK about the L7 problem, the repair required shipping the unit the HK for repair. Being a new owner, I didn't feel like parting with my new toy. About 1 year later, I was in a position to be without the receiver for a while, so I contacted them again to make arrangements for shipping the unit to them. I was then informed that there was now a service bulletin that could be implemented by a local service center. I caught a glimpse of the actual repair, and it's something I could do very easily myself. But the whole disassembly process is scary to me, and also to the service tech.

12. Matt Sweeney

Matt Sweeney Extra

Just wanted to thank everyone again because I spoke with Ed at customer service for harmon kardon yesterday and they're issuing an RMA to the service center that has my receiver and they're going to be replacing it with an AVR525-Z, which is a step up, at least. It's true that firm and polite does work, but not always, so it was nice to see Harman standing behind their product. I would definitely go with them again even though I went through all of this with my first receiver. Thanks again for all your contributions. Regards,

Matt