What's new

Seeing Red - will you stock up on the inevitable clearance sales on HD DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Demise

Auditioning
Real Name
Bud Simons
I plan on picking up a fair number of discs at reduced cost. Will likely purchase a back-up player, too, when they're firesaled.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I'm honestly hoping the prices of some import HD-DVDs go down. Some stuff is pretty universally regarded as superior to the Blu-Ray counterpart, or isn't available on HD or Blu in the US at all. Of course with all of them having friggin' DTS-MA tracks, I won't be doing this unless the Sammy combo player truly does end up decoding DTS-MA, and it's price drops due to the impending demise of HD.

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Not really. You put a DVD in, and the laser turns on to read it. It just turns the other one on instead. In fact, if you think about it, a dual format device like that could last even longer due to the read duty being split between two lasers when different formats are viewed.

I've had my HD-A3 about a month and have yet to purchase any DVDs. It came with two in the box and a mailoff for 5 more. I'm not into it for a whole lot of money at this point. As others have said, it's all about the movies. So when prices drop into clearance, I'll probably pick some more up as well.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
Sure, if there comes the time that the format dies out, I'll pick up some, because my HD DVD player is operating very nicely, and I hope to continue using it for a long time like some of the forum members who still have their LD players.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, in light of today's big announcement, anyone still going to pick up some HD DVDs on clearance now?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Why not? I still play the occasional laserdisc. :)

I'll continue to purchase those HD-DVDs that hold my interest. I don't treat Home Theater as an investment; merely as an exercise in discretionary spending that provides great rewards.

- Walter.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
My 'magic' price-points are $10 or less for single-disc HD DVDs, and $15 or less for double-discs. Otherwise, no.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
'll probably be trying to find the following Universal HD-DVD titles at a discount myself, seeing as it may be a while before we see these on BD:

Army of Darkness
Billy Madison
The Breakfast Club
Happy Gilmore
Land of the Dead
The Last Starfighter
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Tremors
The War

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I think in the "Deals" section there should be a thread for found blow out sales on HD-DVD related stuff.

For myself, I regret the format's demise. I favored it above BD...

que sera

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
We can probably accomodate a sticky for HD DVD blow-out deals once they materialize.

I'll probably pick up a few classics that I hadn't done so yet (but some are Warners, and I wonder how long it'll be to make it to BD, like for Casablanca, Forbidden Planet, etc).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hell, yes. Not that there's a whole lot out there I want but haven't purchased, especially after that recent DeepDiscount sale on Uni titles.

Besides, I love my HD-A1 versus attempting to overlook my BDP-1000s shortcomings. Until I upgrade that thing (likely with the inevitable Toshiba combo player this fall), I'm still going to favor buying an HD DVD over a BD of the same film whenever possible.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I thought Forbidden Planet was also "blu".

I will look for bargains and titles that I think will take a long time to go "blu". I didn't think it would happen this quickly though, so I will be far less "aggressive" in my HD DVD purchases than I might otherwise have been.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

I did a check on Amazon, and it seems like it's only HD DVD/SD DVD for now, but I think eventually it'll be blu since it's a Warners product.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
My price point is under $10 delivered but only for movies that I know I will watch at least twice as rentals for Bluray seem to be around $4-$5. Plus it will have to be something that would be improved by having it in HD if I already have it on DVD. "Animal House", "Caddyshack", and "Christmas Vacation" aren't any funnier in HD.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have it in "red" and it is fantastic (if you're a fan, of course). If you're format neutral, it's worth picking up as I don't think many of the "red" only catalogue titles from Warner sold all that well so it could be some time before they surface in "blu".

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I started picking these up from the early outers in January and will continue cherry picking. I am also planning on picking up another player. I wish the Samsung dual format player was more reasonably priced just to simplify connections so I may wait and see what happens with it.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I picked up several Universal-releases (with 12.20$ etc, it´s hard to complain), but now when Universal goes Blu, I probably won´t buy any more of them.

I have skipped all the Warner HD DVD-releases and I don´t have that many from Paramount either (HD DVDs, I mean). It´s going to be blu for me from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks