What's new

SECOND MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT - STAR WARS: ep2 - TRAILER ALERT! (2 Viewers)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Blasphemy!!!! C-3PO is one of the funniest characters in MOVIE HISTORY! I have seen the Star Wars films many dozens of times, and he STILL cracks me up. How anyone could compare him to Jar-Jar, much less Richard Simmons, is beyond me.
-Tom

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
AMC THEATRES---
What a bunch of jerks, -
After hearing rumors that it was not going to be screened there, I decided to call my local AMC plex. They were very rude and snide with me. They said that they could not release any information on the trailer at all.
I think all Omaha people should call and ask them to persuade them.
call (402)691-0000. That will get you to a live person at the service booth. Me thinks that they goofes with episode 1 related stuff and are embarrased to say they didn't get it
Thank you
------------------
If I could go back in time, I'd meet Snoopy

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Quotes
__________________________________________________ __________
And comparing TPM to ESB is just not fair. ESB was the middle of a story that involved already developed characters. TPM is an introduction of characters and circumstances.
Hopefully, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and The Fellowship of the Ring (both of which are the first books in a series) will be good enough that no one will have to make excuses for them on the same basis. If Ron's review of HP is any indication, no one will.
Regardless of the merits of TPM and Harry Potter, actually, that is exactly what the film version of Harry Potter does except for the last half an hour - introduce you to all the characters and circumstances. Quite similar in function to TPM then :)
In fact, having seen Harry Potter, I would say that is one of the main weaknesses of the film, especially if you haven't read the books. Far too much of the film is spent introducing all the characters and locations of the book, which is great if your a big fan of the book, but slows the film somewhat.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
actually, that is exactly what the film version of Harry Potter does except for the last half an hour - introduce you to all the characters and circumstances.
If Harry Potter isn't a good film, then it isn't a good film. I won't buy the notion that "it's really good, but it turned out bad because they had to introduce the characters".
On the other hand, if Harry Potter IS a good film, then it will show that you can introduce characters and still have a good movie.
Which is exactly what happened with the original Star Wars. That ONE movie introduced us to the Star Wars Universe all by itself, and I never heard ANYONE having to say something along the lines of "well, it's weak, but that's only because they had to introduce the characters". That's because it did all that AND was good, unlike the recent effort.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Quote_____________________________________________ __________
Which is exactly what happened with the original Star Wars. That ONE movie introduced us to the Star Wars Universe all by itself, and I never heard ANYONE having to say something along the lines of "well, it's weak, but that's only because they had to introduce the characters". That's because it did all that AND was good, unlike the recent effort.
That ONE movie also didn't have the baggage of another 3 films when it was being made. ANH is specifically designed to stand on its own as a separate film - while Lucas may have had an idea as to the backstory and sequels, there were no guarantees that he would be able to complete the rest. It is impossible to fully appreciate ESB and ROJ without having seen the others, and as stand alones, they make little sense.
The same applies for TPM. It is different in that it is part of a planned trilogy that we all know is going to be made.It is also intended to be an introduction to the entire six films. It is therefore important to provide an "introduction" to all the main elements that will eventually play out over the series.
As such to say that it TPM is only designed to introduce the characters is a valid point, and anyway, I do not agree that this makes the film weak. IMO, the actual story for TPM is fine, and the film achieves the resolution of the main plot, whilst at the same time laying the groundwork for the characters who will play a part in the series as a whole.
The problem with TPM is some of the dialogue, and acting. The character introductions and background plot are the best thing about the film.
Finally ANH may well have introduced us to the Star Wars Universe (which nobody except Lucas knew anything about at the time) but I feel TPM has a far more difficult job to do in that it has to introduce to the same universe, whic everyone knows about, (it will after all replace ANH as the introductory episode to the Star Wars universe) as well as expand on that

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks