Seat Fanatics. Where do you sit in the theatre?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Edwin-S, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

I noted that the OP for the WANTED review thread stated that he was a seat fanatic. It made me curious. Where do you guys (and gals) like to sit when you go out to the theatre?

I prefer to sit as close to screen centre as possible and at, or slightly back of, the centre of the theatre.

I would have posted this in polls; however, if my browsing habits are the norm, I think that forum would not see a lot of action.

2. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

1/4 to 1/3 the theater length away from the screen, dead center. A lot of theaters will feature a break between a forward section of seats and the larger rear seating which is nice as well.

3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

That is in a theatre equipped with stadium seating, right?
    There was a stadium style theatre in one of the cities where I was temporarily living. At that type of theatre I found the front row of the rear block of seating was best. A person could stretch out their legs without danger of tripping anyone.

How about in a standard sloped floor theatre?

4. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    As the OP, Zack has my spot staked out pretty close.

If the theater is stadium, I like to sit in the second row, off to the side a bit behind the bars (not seats). That way I can out my feet up a bit.

But dead center, about a 1/3 of the way back is my perfect viewing angle. The screen fills my vision, but I can take it all in without having to swivel my head, and both sides of the image are equidistant [​IMG]

In Wanted, the left side of the screen was 5+ times farther away than the right. Why even put seats there?

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Center, 1/2 to 2/3 back.

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    The very back of the theater. Don't care about position, but I don't want people behind me. I usually sit on the aisle, so far left or far right.

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Middle of the back row, so my seat won't get kicked and people don't need to pass by me to get to their seat.

8. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    At all of the stadium seating movie theatres I go to, I have only one preference (and sometimes I don't get it either) and that is to sit all the way in the last row right in the middle so I can get the whole view of the screen. I call it "the best view in the house." When it comes to other non-stadium seating theatres, it doesn't really matter as long as I'm not sitting in the front. Too close for comfort for that. There, I find I usually sit somewhere in the middle of the theater.

9. Michael:M

Michael:M Supporting Actor

In the larger stadium style theaters, the center of the first row of the "back block", which has the bars in front of it rather than seats. I'm far enough back that I don't have to turn my head to take in the entire image, I can put my feet up, but I'm also close enough that the film image is essentially my entire view.

In theaters with stadium seating that are a bit smaller, center seat of the middle row. Can't stretch my legs, but get the benefits listed above.

Hate sitting in the last row anywhere. I feel too far removed from the screen. It's like watching TV from the farthest point in the room for me. As a kid, though, I always grabbed the last row.

10. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

dead center, and as many rows back as i need to be so that when i'm sitting down, i'm looking straight at the centre of the screen, or perhaps slightly downward at the centre of the screen.

11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

No matter how far away I sit, I have to be on the aisle so I can stretch my legs out.

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Used to be 1/3 back, but I've creeped to the back over the years for some reason. Now it's closer to 2/3.

I also prefer sitting off center nowadays. Weird.

And then I don't even call theaters to find out what time the film is playing in my favorite auditorium anymore [​IMG]. I used to know the numbers to call get to get a human on the phone (typically unlisted.)

Overall I've become less picky. It's a good thing.

--
    H

13. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Mostly the same for me. Though I try to sit as center (left/right) as possible. But also prefer sitting behind the bars, so if that is slightly off-center, that's OK. A lot depends on the layout of the theater and where they have the bars.

14. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I don't go much since I have the theater at home but when I do, I go to Muvico premier where the seats are reserved and plush in the mezzanine. There I sit front row center.

15. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Half way up, far left/right. On the far left/right was a row of seats, but there were only 2 of them on the outside of the stairs. There were two flights of stairs going up, so middle seats between the stairs, and a row of seats outside the stairs, but only 2 of them. Girlfriend and I loved those bc no one ever has to walk around you.

16. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Stadium seats usually about 4-5 rows from the top, in the center. I base it on my glasses. I only got sight in one eye, so I sit far enough back that I can see the screen through the lens without moving my head, if that makes sense.

Old style theaters and dates, the very back row, also known as "Blow Job alley" [​IMG]

17. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Dead center. About 3 rows above the halfway point. I usually get there earlier enough to get 'my' spot. [​IMG] There's times I have sat right behind the bar thingy and I must say that's pretty cool too. Other than that if I am late and my seats are taken. (they obviously didn't get the memo [​IMG])...then I take in a different time. [​IMG]

A bad seat can ruin the experience as much as someone's movie commentary during the film.

Good thread. [​IMG]

18. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    There is only one theater in town I will go to anymore, which is a CineMark stadium seating multiplex. Most of their theaters have a handicapped section about 1/3 of the way back. I sit in the center of the first row behind that because there is a railing in front I can put my feet on, a few inches above the floor, plus I have lots of legroom. I'm rather tall, plus I have one knee I shredded several times in my younger days, so legroom is important.

19. Ennsio

Ennsio Second Unit

Centre of the row, back 1/2 to 2/3 of the rows from the screen - if I get there early enough, which I don't manage very often.

I definitely agree with Tim that a bad seat can ruin the movie experience. Having to sit in the front row in a stadium seating theatre to watch Gladiator was a real strain on the neck and eyes. It was so hard to take everything in. But the worst seat I ever had was front row on the far left of the theatre to watch "A Civil Action". That made everything on the left side of the screen seem huge and everything on the right tiny, which really threw off my enjoyment of the movie. I guess that's the price you pay when you show up half way through the previews.

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    The only downside to sitting all the way back is you lose the "surround" part of the surround sound. All the sound is basically coming from the front.

I also like to be about 1/2 way back, in the center. Though if you arrive early enough to be first, you can bet sure money that the next people to arrive will sit directly behind you, and the next people after that directly in front of you. So there are times when I prefer the very back row, as well (generally for non-action films, or in a non-stadium theater). It has to be the only public place where people purposely all group together on top of each other. In any other place, people like to spread out and maintain a personal buffer as large as possible. [​IMG]

In Indiana Jones a couple weeks ago, there were only about 20 people at the matinee show, but we were all mostly sitting next to each other in the "sweet spot" in the center of the room, surrounded by a sea of empty seats.

I don't understand why there's so much seat kicking in theaters. What's so difficult about keeping your feet still and off the seat in front of you? I have no problems at all keeping my feet to myself for the entire length of a 3-hour movie. Why so many others think it's their divine right to put their feet up and/or keep kicking the seat in front of them is very perplexing.