What's new

Season sets we've waited too long for. Losing hope. (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Elequently stated, Jeff. And unfortunately, I have to agree with you completely. I'm 41 years old and the shows I so desperately want to see released are primarily those that aired in the 50's and 60's. There are so many wonderful, classic series from those two decades and we will not see many of them on dvd. Those are just the hard, cold facts of the matter. And for the exact reasons you mentioned. The Execs in most of these companies really don't see our age demographic as significant. All that matters is the almighty teenybopper and 20-something age groups. The ones that want "classics" like ... Oh well, no use raining on other peoples' parades. But you know what I mean.

As to the question this thread asks, I'll answer with a few shows I really have lost hope for:

FATHER KNOWS BEST
ROUTE 66
PATTY DUKE SHOW
DONNA REED SHOW
DENNIS THE MENACE
THE UNTOUCHABLES
BATMAN
OUR MISS BROOKS
77 SUNSET STRIP
TARZAN (Ron Ely series)
HONEY WEST

There are a few shows that are lagging, and that I'm beginning to worry about:

LEAVE IT TO BEAVER (maybe a little early to be concerned, but I still am)
HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL (how long has it been since Season 3 was released?)
DRAGNET (definitely think this one is in big trouble)
QUINCY (same as above)
HAPPY DAYS (well documented problems with this series)
WONDER YEARS (nostalgic look back for me personally, but no way it's coming)
NAKED CITY (the half-hour episodes)

Gary "its really depressing to see some of these companies show a total lack of desire to release their classic tv shows" O.

P.S. I'm probably an idiot for NOT losing hope on this series yet, but THE FUGITIVE still seems like a no-brainer for Paramount. Don't know how much longer I can hold out hope though.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I know people have waited longer for other sets, but I was really hoping to finish my set of "seaQuest", either with a combined S2/S3 package or separate. The first season came out at the end of last December and we haven't heard a word since. I know it wasn't high brow entertainment, but still...

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I'm getting kind of anxious about SeaQuest, myself...but maybe it'll slip into next year with the announcement, tho we still have two weeks and three whole months left for this year. :frowning:

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Gary, don't give up hope on THE FUGITIVE. If it were in the hands of any other major studio besides Paramount, I'd be concerned. Consider Paramount's track record when it comes to vintage black & white shows . . .

I LOVE LUCY
GUNSMOKE
WILD WILD WEST
HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL
PERRY MASON
RAWHIDE
THE PHIL SILVERS SHOW (SGT. BILKO)
THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW

Paramount "walks the talk" as far as vintage black & white TV shows are concerned.

In terms of the other shows that you listed, ROUTE 66 is near the top of my want list and I really hope that Image Entertainment will get releasing rights for this series, just like they did for NAKED CITY. I just don't see Sony releasing this, given their aversion to black & white shows. The few b&w shows that they've released like I DREAM OF JEANNIE and BEWITCHED also had early seasons released in colorized versions. How's that for confidence in your product?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
unreleased shows....
One Day At A Time (promised two years ago, still waiting, it ran for such a long time that all sides are losing out by constant delaying)
Family Ties (promised two years ago, still waiting)
Ally McBeal (heard that Fox is still negotiating the music rights to this one, I have a region 1 player only so the imports do me no good)

released shows:
Diff'rent Strokes (we're getting so close to season 3, which is when the show hit its peak IMO.... hopefully Janet Jackson's new cd will be a big hit and Sony will have no alternative than not to release this season)
Gimme A Break US (fortunately we have a Canadian company who will likely finish the set, and hey it's region 1. I'll be importing my GAB sets from now on)
Taxi (all we need is two seasons left, come on)
Happy Days/Laverne And Shirley/Mork And Mindy (gave up hope)

Luckily for the most part, most of the shows I like have done well on DVD, with a lot of them nearing the finish line, but there's still those shows out there that haven't done quite as well.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

S1 - 5/11/04
S2 - 5/10/05
S3 - 1/03/06

The fact that it took a year to see season two get released gives me hope that we'll see season four sometime at the end of the year or early '07. I've completely lost hope on "Wanted: Dead or Alive" S2-3 though.

I'm wondering now if we've reached a peak for announcements on upcoming 50's - 60's era drama. This was certainly a banner year but the rumored impending announcements for "Sea Hunt", "The Fugitive" and others are not materializing and it has me concerned. I do feel we are on 'borrowed time' with shows like these and with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray on the horizon, it bodes ill for B&W shows in my eyes. I wonder too, if "Rawhide" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" will see a complete series release given the lethargic release schedule for older shows in general.

I still refuse to give up on "Man From U.N.C.L.E.", "The Untouchables" and "The Fugitive" just the same simply because they are so fondly remembered in the hearts and minds of legions of fans. "Route 66" is at the top of my want list as well and I do hope Image can pull this one off for us.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator

Son Of The Beach is definitely at the top of my list ..... love the first set, and have been waiting forever for more.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I've made peace with the fact that Universal likely will never release Night Gallery S2-3 (a pity they couldn't license the series to Image, since they did a fantastic job on The Twilight Zone sets).

No further season sets of This Is Wonderland apparently...I've given up on other Canadian series like Da Vinci's Inquest/City Hall and Made in Canada that stopped after the first season (at least Twitch City is still coming, now bumped to Oct. 17).

I've really enjoyed Wild Wild West S1 and though it's early, I hope Paramount continues with the remaining three seasons.

I know the music rights clearances for Miami Vice take a long time, but I'm puzzled Universal hasn't made an announcement for S3 when the film is out on DVD in December (maybe it's still too early to panic).

I hope Universal keeps up with the remaining seasons of The Incredible Hulk...

Maybe someday The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman will be released on R1 DVD, if the rights/royalties issues are resolved...

Definitely not losing hope on The Fugitive--perhaps Paramount is doing restorative work (please no time-sped, edited episodes) and gathering extras for a first-rate release in the near future? Please?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks