What's new

Season Sets vs Volume Sets (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have no doubt that the studios are making more money off of volume releases but if that's the sole reason that they release volumes, why are far more popular shows released in season sets? If volumes sets are released just to make more money, why haven't the studios released volumes of Star Trek or South Park or Lost or 24 or Deadwood or any other show that far outsells shows that do have volume releases?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Studios just don't give consumers a choice. Consumers do NOT save money by purchasing two half-season sets conpared to buying a full season set. Consumers aren't stupid but Studios are hoping that they are. And they're right, because a lot of you here support this attitude among the studios. Just remember, these are the same studios who replace music on television shows to DVD.

There are more consumers out there, and who are members of this site, who agree with me on this point. I know when I go out looking for a DVD set or a DVD, I look for the best bargain, the lower price. When it comes to these types of boxed sets, there's no way on God's green Earth I would ever pay $30-40 for a 12 episode half-season set.

Studios could do the honorable thing and release full season sets of their previous half season sets and give the consumer the choice on which version to purchase. I know I would choose a full season set over a half season set as I suspect many of you would as well.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
"Besides, say that episode #12 of a season has a music rights issue (or some other issue). They can release the first 11 episodes now and possibly fix any legal problems for that episode, or they can do the whole shebang now and have to edit any questionable episodes. What would you prefer in that situation? Delaying the release altogether?"

Whatever happened to that "well, some music rights can't be cleared for any price" bullshit that usually gets trotted out at around this point?

I guess that's the price I pay to frolick around in this wasteland of assholes.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Interesting thread, discussed previously as Joe mentioned. Joe, the 2 quotes sums it up for me as well, particularly the example that you used (Fugitive). I'm buying whatever is released of that one, split-seasons and all. I've posted on a similar thread that I'm most likely with the majority here, not a fan of the S/S format. The thing I've wondered about is the reason for some s/s series and others in full-season sets, often from the same studio. Maybe I'm naive here, but it seems to me that unless one works at Paramout, etc, we don't know the real reasons for ths s/s format. Odds are that some here are right about the reasons but perhaps there are other points about the issue.

Be that as it may, I'm guessing that most here have their "grail" list of shows that they'll buy regardless of the s/s format. I'd guess that it's also true that there are some shows where we'll pass on the buy's depending on the show. There are some shows where the s/s release will be the deal-breaker for me as well. One example is the Love Boat S1V1. But I "cheated" since I have that one on a public Wish List and I'll be getting it for a birthday :D

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Willis! I almost wrote The Six Million Dollar Man down as something i am still waiting for. I didnt write it, and you still caught my vibe for it. :D

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I have this sneaky suspicion that this is what is going to happen with The Mod Squad (I'm not as suspicious about other shows). Just a feeling, nothing more than that. But I will still buy this one show in split seasons, because I really want this show on DVD. And what's a tad odd, is that I might even consider springing for it again if it is released in single-season boxes down the road. I've been waiting several years for this series to come to DVD. Coincidentally, we just completed Season One tonight.

Rodrick

Second Unit
I had 2nd thoughts on Love Boat. I returned that and said to myself Im gonna just pick up complete series sets now with the way they are going with tvshows like this and The Fall Guy.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Telepathy from across the Red River :alien: I knew that's what you were thinking about when I saw the "waiting for R1" part.

"Live Long & Prosper"

Duane Alford

Second Unit

Fox released Season 1 of The Fall Guy in both split season AND the complete
season. It seems no one bought the two split season volumes. I'd guess the complete season sold pretty well.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
It all comes down to each person's preference. I wish Paramount would release it's shows like Cannon and The Streets of San Francisco as full season sets too. However, split season is better than no season! Also, old VHS tapes of TV shows from say Columbia House would cost maybe $20-$25 for only 2 episodes! Sure full season is better, but if you analyze it, split seasons will still be a good bargain. Take this example: This week I saw at Best Buy the Wil Smith Movie I Am Legend and I believe the price was around $19.00 for this 100 minute (less than 2 hours!)movie with a few extras. Counting the extras, there might be a total time of 2 and one-half hours for around $19.00 Now Paramount is releasing 11 or 12 episodes of The Streets of San Franicsco Season 2 Volume 1 for around $30. A total of over 9 hours for around $30 is really a better deal than the $19.00 for less than 3 hours on the I Am Legend DVD. Sure the full Season is an even better deal, however, when taken in perspective, the split season DVD is also a good deal. Each person has to decide. As for me, I want Cannon, The Streets Of San Francisco, and other classic series and if split season is the only way to get it, I will gladly pay for split seasons and support the fine job Paramount is doing!

Take Care!

Robert

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Yes that's very true. IT's foolish of us to be complaining about the pslit season releases PAramount and others a producing as these values will still be a bragain compared to the lots of money charged Columbia House for our 29 dollar beta CD's. We need oughtta be greatful tat these videograms are even being released at all I is very much in agreement.

I love how Jeff completely missed my sarcasm. Not bad for someone who rides the short bus.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Robert, Kevin, I agree as well. Most here would likely prefer full-season releases but given the choice of s/s or nothing, it's an easy call for me. Imagine, no Fugitive, Rawhide, Untouchables, etc, sets if it were full-season or nothing. :eek: thought, to me

As posted in the "Best/Worst" Studio thread, Paramount's the easy choice leader IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks