Season 5 of MTM Show. Is This a Gamble

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mr. Ed, May 18, 2009.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

You're talking about a sales flyer- not an announcement.

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I just got this email from Amazon regarding the release of season 5. I hope Fox will stick to their word on this.

"Hello from Amazon.com.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on May 16 2009 (Order# 105-7478563-2078621):

Mary Tyler Moore, Ed Asner "The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fifth Season"
    Estimated arrival date: October 08 2009"

3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Stunt Coordinator

October 8 is a Thursday. You probably mean the 6th. Nonetheless, for me it is very good news. Anyone wanna roll the dice again? Will Fox finish the final 2 seasons in our lifetime?

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I copied that directly from the message I received from Amazon. I just noticed the notice reads - Estimated arrival date of October 8, 2009. So I guess the actual release date will be sometime sooner than that; maybe a week before.

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Here's what TVShowsonDVD has to say (and boy do I hope that Disc 1 running time is a mistake):

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mary-Tyler-Moore-Season-5/12267

6. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I'm sure it is. The difference in running time b/w the Disc One (177) and each of the other two discs (202 each) is 25 minutes. It's almost as if whoever was adding up the times for the discs skipped one ep on Disc 1. If Fox was going to do edited eps, they wouldn't do them on just Disc 1 and full eps on the other 2 discs.

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    You may be correct there, as 177 ÷ 7 = 25.285714285714, while 202 is a difference of 25.

Still, after what this show has gone through I am not taking any possibility for granted.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    For those interested, the release date for MTM Season 5 is October 6th.

Crawdaddy

9. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Supporting Actor

Anyone gotten the set yet? Also, any more confirmed edits? Just a reminder, seasons 1-4 had the following confirmed edits:

Season 1
    Mary's rendition of Irving Berlin's "White Christmas" from the episode "Christmas and the Hard Luck Kid II" is gone (even though it appeared in the VHS version).

Season 3
    Ted humming "Anything You Can Do" (Also by Irving Berlin) in the "Plant Lady" episode in the office has been replaced by nonsense humming.

Season 4
    The episode "Angels in the Snow" originally had "Earth Angel" in the scene where Rhoda is reminded of her High School prom. Now it has been replaced with a generic tune that sounds more like it's from the 70's than from the 50's.

The episode "The Co-Producers" is missing a line where Murray quotes a verse from "The Sound of Music" number "My Favorite Things".

10. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Stunt Coordinator

Sometimes we might be better off NOT knowing these things. Which might pretty much sum up everything in the world around us. Afterall, we could become a society of anger and selfpity. Two very unproductive emotions. And just think. It all started with the missing tune of a TV show. PS: Just purchased the fifth season of the MTM show. Gosh, hope there's no words missing or other alterations.

11. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

According to Amazon.com I should get my copy tomorrow or Thursday. I wasn't sure Season 5 would ever see the light of day. Now, I hope the sales are good enough that Fox will continue this series until the final season. Fingers crossed!

12. dahlfan

dahlfan Auditioning

received a review copy today and it's a wonderful set. I have been told Fox has committed to putting the rest of the series out, partially because Oprah's such a big fan.

13. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

personally, i dont buy anything until the complete seasons are available.

14. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Not me. As soon as I see a review, I support a show I want to own by buying all non-screwed-up releases.

15. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I got my copy. Haven't watched but to give you an indication of how cheap Fox is, there are no inserts at all and nothing to tell you the episode titles anywhere.

16. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

that is what the studios want you to do. mtm was extremely popular - once started, they will release all seasons. but the studios will thank you for the extras, and in some cases even slap you in the face by releasing something on the complete set that was not there, previously.

17. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    Actually, it was announced earlier this year that this fall would see a complete series release of this show. However, a lot of people got upset (to put it mildly) because they had already bought seasons 1-4.

So here we go with season 5 as a stand alone...which should make many other people happy.

Given the controversy - I'm really surprised how little activity it's generated now that its out.

I tried searching for that other thread but the search function is so lame anymore since the switch to the new system. It pulls up a million unrelated things.

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Definitely the right move. If everyone waited until all of the seasons of a show were released to start buying, nothing would get past the first season.

19. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

again, that is what they want you to think. there are many, many people who only want the complete set. do you really think that bonanza will stop at season 1 out of 14 ? or that the fugitive will stop halfway thru season 3 ?

but as long as there are enough people like you, who will support them season by season, we will have to put up with a slow dribble, instead of the entire ball of wax at one time.

it would probably shock and outrage you if you found out that the studios contracted to have the complete series done from the outset, because it was cheaper and more cost effective. and then sell it to the consumer as expensively as possible, one season at a time. it wouldnt cause me to blink an eye - i half-way expect that they do this.

20. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    I want to see all 7 seasons released, but a really nasty part of me hopes we never see seasons 6 and 7 because we were supposed to have the complete series released at this time instead of just season 5, but the fanboy backlash just got us the fifth season with no guarantees of the last two.

Oh, and for a quick Fox price comparison... that 179.99 MSRP probably would have been down below a hundred bucks for street date, kind of like the complete Ally McBeal set with an MSRP of $200 bucks is only $100 after discounts. Something like that would've worked out to about 30 bucks each for the unreleased seasons with the first 4 thrown in for free (if you want to look at it that way).

That sounds like an okay deal to me. Too bad so many others hated it and we have to wait and wonder again.