What's new

searching for the perfect subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
here is a sub that might peak some interest. this is velodyne's new flagship, the signature 1812. it gets its name (as you can see from the pictures), from an 18" and a 12" cone. its a bi-amped active xover setup, 1250 watts each cone, 3000 peak each, so 2500 watts program, 6000 peak. weighs in at about 350 pounds. havent really tweaked it yet, but its got output for sure.

oh, and for some scale, the speaker next to it is the B&W 703. the sub is about an inch taller. I am in the other picture, and I am about 5'9".

this is the same one that home theater magazine included in their ultimate shootout with the genelec. its pretty darn impressive.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/attachm...achmentid=1147

http://www.htguide.com/forum/attachm...achmentid=1148

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Nousane also tested it with the Genelec in his last SW round up in S&V a couple issues back.

Pretty impressive piece of kit!

Edward JM...I know you will be looking in on this thread. Maybe you can get a review sample????:D

BGL

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
I hope Home Theatre Magazine rotated the pictures? Or is your room like that? :D I wouldn't say the 1812 is perfect, perhaps if it sold for less than £500 ;)

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i have been playing with this one all day. its got unending output, but im still messing with it to get it to be clean. its just got SO much output, it shakes everything, and makes it all resonate, which doesnt help it out a lot...

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Actually it was the DD18 reviewed in Ultimate AV. I haven't see which sub Nousaine reviewed, but I would expect it was one of the smaller bretherin of the quad-12" HTS6 reviewed in Ultimate AV.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Wow that is one massive subwoofer, I can understand what you mean about the sheer output. How low is that thing rated to go?

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator

Hey Robert, turn it up a little more and let me hear what it sounds like from where I'm sitting.:D

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Without Robert and the 703 in the pic giving the sub some scale, it would look just like a cheap boom-box speaker :)
Cheers.

DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks