What's new

Searching for good computer speakers...or an alternative (1 Viewer)

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like an easy thing to find doesn't it? Not for me. I have a set of 8 year old Audiophile speakers. It's a 2.1 system with wood sub and satellites. I want to get a 4.1 system but can't find anything that sounds as good as my current set. I've had some systems come close but the plastic enclosures they use now just doesn't create the nice sound of the wood enclosures.

Anyone have 4.1 computer speaker recommendations? Or another way to get the quality of sound out of my system with normal home theater gear?

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system. Absolutely incredible for computer speakers. I know they have 4.1 and 5.1 sets available.

The Swan Diva M200 is also fairly highly regarded, too.

Aaron

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
I tried the older .400 Klipsch set and I could not stand the upper midrange the horn presented. I've heard the new 2.1 and 4.1 systems are better but I'm not holding my breath. I have a 4.1 on order to test. I also have the Logitech Z560's coming and have already tested the Altec Lancing 641's. The 641 is close to what I want but has that nice plastic color to the midrange that I'd like to avoid. I was thinking of getting the system and replacing the front speakers with either my old ones or something new that has a wood enclosure....maybe a set of paradigm's?

The Diva's look nice but I don't have that kind of room on my computer desk. Need something a little smaller.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I've got the M200s and they are wonderful! However, they are also bookshelf type speakers and only have the pair rather than all four or five and sub you are searching for. The Klipsch system could be the one you are searching for. Though, for $200, the M200s are extremely tough to beat.

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
David,
There's certainly a lot more choices out there now for computer speakers. Try this site for some good info: 3D Sound Surge.
Also, I hear that Boston Acoustics makes a pretty good set of computer speakers.
- bones

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
I've read the reviews on SoundSurge and others. I've tried many of the speakers they've reviewed and have been disappointed in each one.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
How much are you willing to spend, maybe you could put an JBL NSP1 and with a PB12 for $500. And will sound better than all computer systems.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I have Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers and they are a great low dollar solution. I'd be looking at the ProMedia 4.1 or 5.1 if you wanted the best sound in PC speakers.

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard the Swans M200 and for 2 channel they are real sweet....definitely better than any other multimedia speaker I have personally heard to date. I used to own a Klipsch Promedia 4.1 system as well, for what it's worth.

Shane Acker

Agent
I'll second those Altec Lansing ATP3's. I think they sound awesome and the plastic housings don't seem to color the sound.

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't listened to the atp3's but I can't think they'd sound better than the 641's.

My wife uses this for music and she's almost as picky as I am about sound quality. I use it for gaming.

I just got the Logitech Z560's and have determined that they do sound better for most music than the Altec Lancing 641's. They still lose hands down to my old system. Why oh why did Audiophile go out of business....

Now if only I could get a set of Klipsch promedia 4.1's to try.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
The altec 641's are the best sounding 4.1 system out there. I've owned and tried many including the z560's and hands down the 641's take the cake. I currently have klipsch promedia 5.1's which are sweet too. The promedia 4.1's though to me weren't very impressive.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Check out Monsoon Audio and Aego's (Acoustic Energy). Monsoons can be had in 4.1 for about 225-250, and Aego's for about 400 for 2.1, and about 600 for 4.1. The Monsoons sound fantastic, and Stereophile raved about the Aego's enough to put them on the cover. Of course, you can always use regular speakers with a good amp for computers, but I just wanted to let you guys know about these.

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
The Aego's only come in 2.1 and 5.1. They won't work for 4.1 gaming since they don't have front and rear inputs.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I just read this on GURU3D , that logitek will have a new set of computer speakers by october,
I stumbled into some pretty interesting and un-announced info from Logitech. In October they will release the all new Logitech Z-680. This is a high-end 5.1 channel speakerset wich got THX certified. The Z-680 set will include cables for DVD-players, CD, Playstation2 and Xbox and PC's with 2-, 4- or 6 channel soundcards. The fun part is it can be connected at all devices at once.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
What I did was first an Altec Lansing ACS56 model. They were OK for 4.1 multimedia speakers but the bass was pretty bad. I then decided to go separates route for PC so I purchased a 2 channel amp and some JBL Studio S38s.

The S38s + Separate amp were more than satisfactory for a PC system. I then put the Altec Lansing 4.1 speakers to surround duty and ran them in 2.1 mode but turned down the sub. This all resulted in a fairly decent 4.0 setup.

Add a 15" tempest in an adire alignment enclosure and I have a nice 4.1 system.

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
if money permits, go with a receiver with DVD analog-in (6 channel input) and get a 5.1 soundcard like the Santa Cruz or Sound Blaster Audigy and hook it up to that. That's how I got mine rigged. I'm connected to my TV though so it makes it convenient to use my receiver and speakers from my HT. Of course to some this is wishful thinking and not very plausible, especially if you are looking to get a dedicated Computer Speaker Set Up rahter than your home theater equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks