What's new

Search for The Final Countdown (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
They need to sell the rights to Anchor Bay, Criterion, anybody....these guys don't even seem to be Goodtimes caliber...atleast THEY can get stuff on to store shelves.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
At this point I just hope they sell the rights to a company with the resources to do it right and get the DVD out the door. I'm glad I resisted the temptation to pre-order it, but I'm pretty disappointed. I was really looking forward to finally seeing this flick in its OAR.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Thanks John for the update. It is a little dishearting. I preordered 2 copies(for my dad and me). I will give them another week or two to work it out. Did they say if the "technical" problems were going to be worked out soon? And did you ask why it is not for sale anywhere else? Luckily, I placed the order with my credit card. So if they are slow to refund, I will dispute the charge.

Rich E

Agent
Why do I have visions of some recent ucla film school graduate nervously reading a manual for sonic solutions dvd replicating software while on the toiliet at pfc.

Time to step aside and let somebody who knows what they're doing take the reins. You had your chance and you blew it.

Sorry to sound harsh, but this is unreal.

I feel like i'm waiting for some stoner in a garage to burn me a led-zeppelin album from the last known copy.

pfc--your name is mud

sorry i meant pfe

pfc is a chicken place here in new york, which by the way is quite well run--sorry to insult you like that pfc

John,

Did Mr. Cook say all who ordered will automatically get refunds? If he did, this is a bad sign. I was just wondering if he meant anyone who didn't want to wait a few weeks longer COULD get a refund.

Thanks for the info.

Jim

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Thanks John for the update. It is a little dishearting. I preordered 2 copies(for my dad and me).
Holy s***

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I ordered two copies as well, as this movie is a 'father / son' bonding film. Good sci-fi war flick.

As for reading the manual for DVDit on the toilet, I did that just the other day. You people know way too much (no, not involved with PFE).

A shame, was really hoping for this film

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I've got a feeling that the only way we'll see this movie on DVD is via bootlegs mastered from a P&S recording at SLP speed dubbed from a late night cable broadcast on a mono Funai VCR.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
A reputable DVD production company tried to release this one and PFE would not cooperate.
I question if they even have a print let alone o-negs.
:frowning:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
a damn shame....if ANCHOR BAY can get this so much the better...or maybe MGM-with their Midnite Movie Series-would want to buy it back....lately theyve been putting out some first class discs...

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
So much for Tim Cook at PFE answering "everyone's" questions. I sent a fax and have yet heard back. Of course pointed out their downfall as so far as their marketing strategy goes, what DVD enthusiasts want, and the lack of a screener to let people know what to expect.

I had a feeling about this one and see that even the UK version being distributed by Synergy hasn't even shown up???

I am with you. The original distributor was United Artists which is now part of MGM but guess their catalog was divided up and PFE got this title some way... but how?

And can MGM put out their own version?

Image put out the Laser Disc so can they put out the DVD?

Does Vestron (who put out the VHS) have DVD capabilities?

There must be an alternative since so many people have/had their hands on this title?

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
Steven: I also sent a fax to Tim Cook and haven't heard back either. As you did, I pointed out that their marketing strategy was not good for this title, noting that few people have heard of PFE and before most would pre-order, they would want to see a preview of the DVD posted somewhere. I did pre-order as I really wanted this title on DVD, particulary since it was stated it was the uncut version, anamorphic widescreen, and DD 5.1. IMO, if PFE doesn't follow through with releasing this title soon, they will be "black listed" in most DVD circles.:angry:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So much for Tim Cook at PFE answering "everyone's" questions. I sent a fax and have yet heard back.
Tim Cook has been out-of-town and will be back tomorrow (Friday).
I contacted Michael again, and specifically referred to the Home Theater forum and how a member of HTF who lived nearby had visited PFE a few days ago and spoken to Tim Cook. Michael remembered that very well, mentioning that Tim wasn't actually present in the office when the person visited, but Tim happenned to call in while the visiter was there and how they talked together on the phone.
John Sparks, he didn't know your name but he otherwise accurately repeated the things your post mentioned...except you never mentioned that you talked to Tim Cook by phone rather than in person. Does the above mesh with your experience?
Michael told me that the picture *WOULD* be anamorphic, by the way.
As you can guess by the above statement, per Michael the DVD is still planning to ship. I asked "if I placed my order today at the 800 #, how long do you estimate before I get it?" His reply, while I don't remember it to the word, was to the effect that I ought to have it within a week or two. I was surprised and said so. His response was that the problem should be fixed now and that they hope to start reproducing discs by the first part of next week!
I discussed refunds. It seems that if you ask for a refund now you will get it. However, since they still plan to ship the discs they are not AUTOMATICALLY refunding the orders yet...but that is their exact plan if they decide for any reason that the disc will never ship. He claims they will contact the customers and initiate the refunds themselves.
I then asked about their policy of charging the credit cards in the first place before shipping the product. He got cautious at that point, as if he PERHAPS agreed that this wasn't the right thing for PFE to do, but wouldn't state such a disagreement straight to a customer. Perhaps I read that "caution" wrong. Anyway, cutting to the chase, he observed that, yes, PFE did charge the customers' cards prior to shipping the product, and yes, he recognizes that this is not the normal policy in the world of sales. He simply concluded by assuring me that the cards would be fully credited in the event of orders being cancelled.
I asked whether an order with a mail-in check would result in a cashed check prior to shipping the DVD. He said that he thought that a check would be held until the product shipped, but it sounds like he would have to check on that.
I asked if there was any change in the situation with shipping the product into stores, and he said no. There was some discussion between us as to whether it was miscommunicated last time as to how intent they are looking into this at this time. My last report was off; they are currently intent on trying their hand at selling it themselves.
As to the "high" interest and "low" number of orders, they realize that they are not well known among consumers, and that they won't automatically get the consumer confidance that, say, Paramount will. :) However, he says that interest and orders are increasing...there seems to be little concern there that they have a bust on their hands, despite the hold-up.
He would not personally divulge any details concerning the glitch. Instead, he quickly invited me to call Tim Cook myself tomorrow (when he returns) for all of the details concerning the problem, and gave me Tim's direct extension (which I won't divulge here at this time...that would not be right!). If I have time tomorrow, I will definately dial Tim's number.
In conclusion, Michael invited me to leave my own name and number with him, and after some deliberation I did so, but I do not honestly expect him to call me with any developments.
I'm not sure what the future brings for this title, but per Michael the game's not over for PFE yet. I'm not saying that the nay-sayers are definately wrong here, but there's a clear indication that they're still trying out there.
I'll keep in touch with them and see how it goes, okay?

Rich E

Agent
(note humorous sarcastic tone in all of Rich E's posts)

I spoke to these people via telephone the otherday, politely imforming them that their blundering was wide spread news on the internet and asking if the movie was going to be delayed so long that I should cancel my order.

She informed me with her best "avon lady" reassuring tone that it would be in the mail probably within a week.

as a side note, I've ordered ginsu knives made half a world away that came with less hastle.

This might be a little hard for people in the rest of the colonies to understand but if you don't take a light hearted humourous/perpetually skeptical view of life here in new york you'll never make it out alive. You'll proably wind up one of those lost souls selling rubiks cubes and dead batteries for a dollar on the subway.

That aside, for the record I'm sure the woman I talked to was a noble and decent human being but I cannot help but visualze her as dealing me some warm potato salad at a dallas/republican/fourth of july/ fund raiser...sorry if some of you don't get the joke.

The point being is that these people obviously have no idea of the ravenous nature of the internet and what dvd hungry fans will resort to when they've been waiting half their adult lives for a movie that they feel is being held hostage by utter incompetence.

I think we should all hold out for a moment like they did on John Lennon's birthday, instead of "imagine" we all start "THE FINAL F'ING COUNTDOWN" at the same moment all across the country, just to show our deep appreciation for PFE finally deciding on a release date.

They're doing the best they can, god bless them.

Rich E

Agent
I can totally understand the whole "father and son" bonding appeal of this movie.

My dad worked for Grumman for over thirty five years and had several interesting tales about how dangerous the tomcat stunts were in this movie.

I can remember seeing this film in the theater with him when it first came out.

I remember people chuckling in the opening minutes, when the tomcat puts down it's gear and tail hook, the sound effects were just funny to the audience for some reason.

Looking back, I suspect it was the same year EMPIRE came out and it was just funny to see real fighter planes in action and the sights and sounds of the real thing were so much more impressive than in empire.

In short, browsing through the stores today I can' fathom how some of this utter gargage makes it to the shelves in mass quantaties while a movie starring Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas is held up due to the ....(rant deleted due to objectionable content)

In my view, once we all get the dvd's we've forked over our credit card numbers for and they are in our players, we should send PFE a polite email telling them to stick to re-runs of I love lucy, highway to heaven or whatever it is that they do best. Whatever it is, replicating dvd's is obviously not on the list.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
we should send PFE a polite email telling them to stick to re-runs of I love lucy, highway to heaven or whatever it is that they do best. Whatever it is, replicating dvd's is obviously not on the list.
Before this is over, I fear I shall agree with that. But right now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. They're not the first company to have a release date slip!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Can someone the next time they talk to someone at PFE ask if they are actually charging sales tax to everyone?

( ($19.95) x QUANTITY ) + (My Local Sales Tax) + ($4.50 S&H per address) = TOTAL

This doesn't seem right for I believe the only way they can do that is if they have a "branch office" "chain" or "salesperson" within the state they are charging sales tax.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Dennis: yes it would. In fact, Michael said "anamorphic" before I did! He could tell where my question was going! That's a good sign. :)
Steven: If indeed I am able to call Tim Cook today, I'll ask him about that. I actually think Michael was wrong when he first told me that (as I think I indicated inside that post). Maybe his inclusion of sales tax falls under "CYA" (cover your ass), and a simple double-check of the folks at the 800 # will reveal the proper total amount for this purchase.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I have been closely following this thread. I desperately want this title but am far too skeptical of PFE, especially with the delays. I'll order mine once the discs start shipping. (Maybe someone should mention that to PFE - I'm betting there's a bunch of us who are in wait-n-see mode.)

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
You know when i ordered my copy from PFE way back in December they told me the price, shipping and tax. I said "tax?, I live in Texas"... "oh yeah, my mistake"

We'll see if its added or not, but in all honosty, at this point I could care less. I just want the title.

-- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks