What's new

sealed,downfiring sub design (1 Viewer)

Jeff G

Auditioning
Hey guys,
I'm trying to design my first sub. I currently have a paradigm 2200 and am building a sub for 1)improved sound and 2)improved aesthetics. We are adding a home theater which is 20'x23' with 9 foot ceilings. I want a tight, accurate music machine.

Because the sub will be designed to look like piece of furniture, it must be downfiring. I am considering using a parts express 15" Titanic MkIII (3.05% sag) and their 500 watt amp (for about $500 total). The parametric eq is important to me.

The cabinet will be about 5 cu ft with a Q of about .61 (according to WinISD). Box should be ~18"w x19"d x25.25"h internal dimensions (plus 3 braces which will make it taller). I plan to use 3/4" MDF for the sides with 1 1/2" at tops and bottoms. I'll stuff it with polyfill (1/2lb per cu ft)

Questions-
1. Is the downfiring config going to make it boom?
2. I was thinking about angling the driver/bottom baffle, but am concerned about "uneven" pull on the driver. Any advantage to this?
3. Does the polyfill change the Q?
4. how high off the floor is optimal?
5. Other drivers, amps i should consider (similar$)?
Questions,questions, questions
Thanks for your help,
Jeff

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
If you're still considering other drivers you should look into the Adire Audio DPL12. I've heard that 75L DPL12s are really good for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks