What's new

SD vs HD, a link to a great site with picture comparisons. (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

even with the X-box, again it "all depends".

For instance, what's the native display-rate/resolution of the HDTV display? If one has a 720P DLP...then chances are that the native 720P output will look better since it will match the display pixel structure 1:1 and require no scaling.

If one has a CRT HDTV that only scans at 1080I, then it might be better to set the X-box to 1080I output to avoid additional scaling in the HDTV with the 720P signal.

Curiously, sometimes what looks best defies even these logical formulas because of other design issues...such as displays that apply unpredictable filtering or scaling to various signals for some unknown reason. For instance, using the analog component inputs of my 720P DLP projector...it turns out that 1080I signals *look better* than "native" 720P signals! However, via DVI, 720P signals tend to look best.

Final word is...try it both ways and see what looks best to your eyes given your particular system/combination of gear. and the answer may change depending on source material, hardware, processing, display type, and tramission type (dvi versus analog component)...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks