What's new

SCTV on DVD!!! Finally! (1 Viewer)

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
The DVDs are great. Video is far from reference quality but is the best these shows have ever looked (and the best they ever could or will look I'd imagine). Extras are great and essentially come one per disc except for the commentaries of which there are 2 (1 on disc 1 and 1 on disc 3). Some minor edits to music have been made. All but 2 were to the closing credits (John Williams' Star Wars score music was replaced in "Empires Are A Girls Best Friend" clip: not really noticeable except for the mono soundtrack suddenly expanding into stereo & snippet of music sounding like CSNY's Ohio is replaced during "Gerry Todd" sketch). Packaging is nice - package opens out like book with clear plastic trays mounted on cardboard "pages" and it all fits in a cardboard slip case. Hubs are sturdy but there is no wrestling to get discs in and out. 26 page booklet contains nice pics - not many revelations except that Fred Willard is a huge SCTV fan. Hey, Wha' Happened?!?

Anyway, I highly recommend for die hards and casual fans alike although the casual fan may want to dip his or her toe into the water with the Time Life DVDs. These first nine episodes are pretty heavy with recycled sketches from the show's previous 3 seasons (which means repetition when Shout gets around to releasing the 1/2 hour eps, although some were edited for the 90-minute shows so they appear on the DVDs as they aired on Network 90) but its provides a great overview of the show. I cannot wait for Cycles 2 and 3 (IMHO, SCTV at its peak).

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I'm sorry, Guys, I never thought to follow up my review here. I don't buy TV on DVD all that often, so I don't visit this side of the forum. SORRY!

DVD Town review of SCTV: Network 90

As was said before, the video is atrocious, but it's the best the show has or will ever look. The extra package is exceptional, worth the price of admission for fans.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
SCTV Network 90 Volume 2, (Season 4 - Cycle 2) is due October. What a great release as it will contain the CCCP1 Russian Takeover, Zontar, Godfather Parody, and SCTV Staff Christmas Party among other 'classics'.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Uzbek's! Uzbek's! Don't give them matches!

..repeating myself, but its funny non-the-less...I hope that loony skit is on there :)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Citizen: "Hey, Yorgi! I bet those Uzbeks my month's wages that I couldn't get three words out of you!"

Yorgi: "You lose"

[Uzbeks laugh triumphantly]

Yorgi: "--Comrade!"

Citizen: "Thanks, Yorgi!" :D

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Just got mine in the mail-- unbelievably great! I used Amazon's Super Saver shipping and still got it the day before it was supposed to street. I had to physically pull myself away from my DVD player to get back to work (I work at home). If you're on the fence about this, don't be. It's worth every penny.

Haden

Supporting Actor

This is the first news I've heard of a Volume 2 already planned. I assumed they'd wait to see how sales of Volume 1 did first. Where did you get this news of Volume 2 coming in October?

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
I rec'd the info from Amberlight Productions who handle marketing of the set for Second City. I had been corresponding with Andrew Alexander of Second City in this regard over the past few years and he placed me in contact with Amberlight. They've been reliable so far.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Not counting the Showtime season which was inferior to the rest of the series, there were 39 90 minute shows and 78 half hours. Are they planning on releasing all of them?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I plan on picking this up tonight. As good as these shows are, I can't wait for the earlier shows, so hopefully they well come before the Showtime stuff (which I've never seen>)

My favorite is the "The Solid Gold Telathon", with Sammy Maudlin crying as he begs people to send in their gold, which results in Bobby Bitman to chastise the viewing audience for not donating, and Johnny Larue, hammered out of his mind by constant boozing donates his weight in gold!

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if there were some in here that plan on not picking this up because of the minor edits? There are some shows that I would boycott if they were edited but I got this one today at Best Buy for around $60.00

Randy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
right in the set it mentions some edits, on the booklet.

doesnt say what the edits are.

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
There's another post in this same thread with a link to a site that lists every edit in each episode. They are minor edits but some of them didn't make a whole lot of sense to me like shuffling around certain skits. What's that all about?

Randy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
wow i sure had to search around that link for the list of edits.
here they are.

SCTV DVD Set 1 - What's Changed While Shout has done a great job securing music for the new set, there have been some edits. Blow by blow:

Episode 1: The end credits music has been changed to a generic theme; the original had a recording of "Thanks for the Memories."
Episode 2: Part 1 of Polynesiantown has been moved forward, swapped with Brenda Vaccaro commercial and Sammy Maudlin. Again, the end credits music has been changed to a generic theme.
Episode 3: The Star Wars music in Empires Are A Girl's Best Friend has been changed to a similar-sounding theme.
Episode 4: Clean!
Episode 5: Clean!
Episode 6: The repeat of Indira has been removed. The Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young music (Gerry Todd Show) has been changed, though the "White Christmas" vocals remain.
Episode 7: The bumper for The Nobel has been moved from the first break to the very last piece in the show. The Kovak Expert commercial has been moved from segment 2 to segment 5. The bumper for The Tubes on Scuttlebutt Lodge has been removed. A seemingly new (?) bumper for Roy Orbison has been inserted before his performance of "Working for the Man." Bumpers for The Silly Bastard and One On the Town have been reshuffled throughout the show.
Episode 8: Clean!
Episode 9: Max Lax and Shakespeare in the park have been swapped in the running order. The Mckenzie Brothers National Anthem music has been replaced with the GWN theme. Fantasy Island has been moved to the end of the show and its SCTV Afternoon Movie identifier has been removed. Finally, many bumpers have been shuffled.
Note that some of the sketches (e.g., Lee A Iacocca's Rock Concert) from previous seasons were edited when they were put in the Network 90 shows. The DVDs include the Network 90 edited versions, as originally broadcast by NBC - they were not edited by the DVD producers.

19 March 2004

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks