What's new

Directors Screenshot Challenge! Call the neighbors! Wake the kids! (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Screenshot #1 Answer: Five Easy Pieces (1970)
Clue: Piano
Comment: . This is the tail-end of what is probably the second-best known scene in the film. The guy behind the truck is Jack Nicholson; the big green box on the truck is a piano. At first I was going to show Dupea (Jack) playing the piano on the truck, but figured that would be too easy. Instead, I chose the shot of him leaping from the back of the truck. Even if you don’t remember this exact shot, with a little knowledge of the movie and a careful study of the frame you may have been able to figure it out.

Correct answers pre-clue (2 points):

george kaplan

Correct answers post-clue (1 point):

Martin Teller
Brook K

Other guesses:

Dirty Harry
Fingers
Punch Drunk Love

Funny guesses:

None

LEADER BOARD:

george kaplan – 2
Martin Teller – 1
Brook K - 1

Screenshot #2:
(clue tomorrow morning)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Screenshot #2 Clue: Slim.

(correct answer now worth 1 point)

Answer and next shot tomorrow morning.

Jon

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Screenshot #2 Answer: 8 Mile (2002)
Clue: Slim
Comment: Eminem’s soft features and eyelashes – along with the pink jewelry box – might initially make one think this was from some girly movie. The trick here is to ID Eminem, not so easy if you don’t remember this scene. I thought this was a pretty easy selection, but obviously I was wrong.

Correct answers pre-clue (2 points):

None

Correct answers post-clue (1 point):

None

Other guesses:

The Seventh Sign
The Exorcist
Thinner
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Music Box

Funny guesses:

None

LEADER BOARD:

george kaplan – 2
Martin Teller – 1
Brook K - 1

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jon, the clues don't seem to be all that helpful unless you already have a pretty good idea of what the shot is from. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Hope this is taken as constructive criticism, but I have to agree with that. I still don't know what "slim" has to do with the movie, and while "piano" led me to realize there was a piano in the truck, that just made me question my guess (I'd seen Five Easy Pieces only once, many years ago, and have no recollection of that scene).

I've run these in the past, and it's very hard to really realize how hard they are for people. We pick scenes that jump out at us, but unless it's really obvious (like the one in Ray's sig), others will usually find it incredibly hard. Even if you think the clues are dead giveaways, I'd tend to try to make them more informative for someone who may have heard of, but not seen the film.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Two basic rules to doing these things.

1) It isn't as simple as you think it is.
2) No matter what you do, someone will always complain.

So, in the end, it is your contest. People can participate or not.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Eminem is also known as Slim Shady, George

When I was just a little baby boy
my mama used to tell me these crazy things
She used to tell me my Daddy was an evil man
She used to tell me he hated me
Then I got a little bit older and I realized she was the crazy one
But there was nothing I could do to cure or try to change her
Cause that's just the way she was

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I figured it was something like that, though frankly, when I saw the clue I thought it was a horror film where the psycho wanted to be thinner or something. :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've seen 8 Mile and have 3 Eminem CD's and the shot and clue didn't ring a bell for me either.

I'm kicking myself on Five Easy Pieces though. That was the only movie that jumped into my head when I looked at the shot, but I talked myself out of guessing it because I remember him getting on the piano truck on an Interstate, and I was thinking all the early movie scenes either took place at their apartment, in the oil field, or on the highway, and didn't remember there being any scenes in a city. Pretty dumb not to guess it anyway when I couldn't think of another movie it could be.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

I don't mind criticism at all; expected it, in fact.

From my perspective, though, each of my clues would have helped me solve the scenes whether I had seen the films or not. And that's really the only perspective I can go by.

At the risk of over-explaining: I knew about the piano-on-the-truck scene before I had ever seen Five Easy Pieces. Other components of the scene I considered: some may be able to identify Jack Nicholson; the fact that he's wearing a hardhat; the time period the movie is set in.

As for Eminem also being known as "Slim Shady"....ummm....seems to me that this knowledge, had you known it, most definitely could have helped you solve the clue whether you'd seen 8 Mile or not.

What's easy for me may be impossible for you, and vice versa. Otherwise, we'd end up with a 20-way tie for first place.

In any case, if you're unsatisfied I'll happily refund your entry fee. :D

Thanks, JohnRice, for the words of support.

Jon

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Screenshot #3 Clue: Heiress.

(correct answer now worth 1 point)

Answer and next shot tomorrow morning.

Jon

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jon, I apologize if my comment did seem like criticism. Heck, you're throwing people a bone by even including a clue. I guess with these games, the clues have just typically been of the trivia variety rather than word association. For the "slim" clue, I'd seen the film and had known about Eminem & Slim Shady, but it never crossed my mind. My first thoughts were Cyclops from the X-Men and maybe Randy Savage. :D

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I recognized that I'd seen the movie shot two was from but I had no idea what it was. :frowning: looks like my first guess for this one was wrong...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, same here. In fact, I haven't seen any of the movies yet. Yes, that's right, I haven't seen Five Easy Pieces. I feel like I should, and probably do know the current one, if only it would come to me.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
JohnRice, if I'm right about #3 (and I think I am), you're probably going to kick yourself.

I guess that's part of the fun, though. There may be a shot from a film you've seen numerous times that you don't get, but then, there may be a shot from a film that you've never seen, that you get just based on clues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks