Screen vs Sound Scale - Getting it Spatially Right

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by yairisan, Jan 2, 2013.

1. yairisan

yairisan Auditioning

I'm a 'towards the front of the cinema' kind of guy - I want to give the old eyes and brain a bit of a workout. Mitsubishi HC3800 projector shining onto a 100" screen in a small viewing area. The projector/screen approach serves as much to be a space saver as anything else: just yank the screen down and press play. I also prefer the 'look' of a projected image: a TV screen can have more contrast and pop, but it doesn't look like your in the movies, there isn't that sense of depth of shade that a good source projected on a screen can have. Yesterday, I stretched a white sheet out in front of the pull down screen to try out a bigger image, just to see what I was missing; and boy have I been missing out in spades! The added 8` or 10` either side (and subsequently increased elevation) hits the spot where it goes from home projector to home theater. The cotton screen also allowed me to try placing the centre speaker up behind the screen - something I'd read about, but had the hunch was taking things to extreme. How wrong was I... Spatial scale of image and sound are more locked together. This isn't a 'Nice big image with some great sound wrapped around it' anymore; I'm finally watching a film with all its creative elements synergistically woven together in such a way that the wow factor of the system is lost to the story telling on the screen. Before, when someone, for example put a coat away off-screen, or placed something on an out-of-frame table, it was an ear-candy kind of effect that made me think "Hehe, my system can do all this discrete channeling shit." Now, it's less distracting, yet more palpable, more realistically scaled to what my mind's eye is envisaging off-screen, relative to on-screen. All the above is, of course, dependent on the source, but generally, they know what they're doing! Four factors came into play regarding the result of the above experimentation: 1) Screen size 2) Centre channel/screen relationship 3) Centre screen/LR relationship 4) Screen size/LR relationship. 1) Screen size: I now get a more 'near the front of the cinema' experience. There really is a subjective sweet spot, waiting to literally hit you between the eyes. 2) Screen and CS: Hearing that dialogue spoken from where it should be coming from. Big difference. And not only dialogue, but room sound, everything - it emanates from the visual source. Only with a rear-screen center speaker setup can this be achieved properly. 3) CS/LR: With the CS up where it should be, panning within (and just peripheral to) the visual field is more naturally locked in with the screen action. 4) Screen size/LR: OFF SCREEN sounds are more homogenized with the mind's eye, relative to on-screen action. I perceive this as an important aspect that I certainly overlooked until now. In short, gone is the wow factor of the HT system I'm smugly listening to, and is replaced by the WOW factor of the film I'm watching. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I thought I had it great. Not even close.