What's new

Screen suggestions (1 Viewer)

I am building my HT and have gotten

Epson 5030UB projector and Onkyo TXNR1010 (got a great deal on a refurb)

Room has no windows and lighting will be minimal when I am using it. (When i is just the wife using it more lights will be on but she would be fine with a 10" black and White TV.

Viewing will be pretty much just TV shows, Movies, and college Football

I haven't figured out the size of sceen I will need as I am not home right now and I am waiting for the projector to arrive to test it out and figure out what screen size we want to go with.

I think it will be in the range of 100-120"

I am planning on a fixed frame screen that mounts directly to the wall.

For the projector I based my choice there off reviews that said it was good bang for the buck and while there are better out there you have to pay a significant price point to that improvement. I am looking but haven't found something similar for screens.

Screen prices are all over the place it seems like.

What brand / price point level should I be looking at? I want something that is good that is going to last, but I nor my family are critical enough to notice most screen issues that the hardcore/super technical see.

I would like to keep screen price under $1k and as low as possible if there isn't substantial gains made. However if there is something at a higher price point that is a signifcant step up for the cost I can adjust my budget.

Thanks for any help that you can offer

Based on my room size http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
says optimum 100" but I live in Texas and we like things bigger so thinking of going with 120"

Still plan on waiting to try the projector out first before I get the screen though...

Been looking around and was thinking of the Monoprice Multi-Format Frame Projection Screen (10cm Aluminum Frame w/ Velvet Wrapped) - HD White Fabric (120 inch, 16:9/2.35:1)

for $700

Good bang for the buck or should I look elsewhere?

Room is 18 ft long. Can place my projector anywhere but I was thinking of somewhere around 15ft throw will test out once I have it. This is my first projection system.

Seating is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 12ft

Should I mount the pojector as close to the screen as possible to get a comfortable image size?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
18' room, I'd do 10' first row. I sit just shy of 9' from a 108"-ish 2.40.My screen is 120" 16:9. 90% of what I project is DVD/ BD.Also, "center if the room" allows an easier 7.1 expansion...in the future.And yes, I know I sit close. But I placed my first row at 2.4 x height of a projected 2.40.

I am planning on going to 7.1 If I do 2 rows starting at 10' that would put me in the sweet spot and I like a bigger screen and someone can sit in the "back" if they like a shorter difference... Wouldn't be as nice for the surround sound but I am only one that cares about that :)

So 120" is sounding what I am looking at.

Sable Elite screen is $300
Ezframe is $500 (from what I have read $200 more for just a easier assembly frame screen is the same don't think this is worth it)
Or could go with the multi-frame Monoprice with built in masking for 2.35 for $800

Besides the difference in the frame and masking in a darkened room would the monoprice screen masking really be worth it.

I am thinking of just doing the 120" Sable Elite but if someone has other recomendation I would love to hear it.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
schan1269 said:
18' room, I'd do 10' first row. I sit just shy of 9' from a 108"-ish 2.40. My screen is 120" 16:9. 90% of what I project is DVD/ BD. Also, "center if the room" allows an easier 7.1 expansion...in the future. And yes, I know I sit close. But I placed my first row at 2.4 x height of a projected 2.40.
Keep in mind Ralph that sitting in the "center" of the room will likely be the worst location for bass response. Try 2/3 of the room depth first and see if you like that seating distance before cramming yourself up to a 120" screen. Seating location is always going to be a compromise of room acoustics and FOV for the given screen size.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Or you find the spot to put the sub where middle of the room works.My theatre, my seat is actually at 45%(three rows of futons, the widest I could find. Each sits three adults or 4 kids).I have no bass issues.Caveat though...TX NR1008 running...BIC V820 fronts, V820 rears(4 in 7.1), V62 height and V62 center.So I have a big M&K being helped along by six 8" woofers(crossed at 40) and three 6"(crossed at 60) helping out.

daltandale

Auditioning
Real Name
daltandale
In these aspects, The selection of screen is important. While coming to the projector screen, The selection process of the screen completely depends upon the space of the room. Many people feel that bigger is automatically better. But that's not always the case.

paramount projector

Here is what I am thinking I will do. (Might just go ahead and order the sable screen for $300 so it is home when I get there. Will install the 120" screen. If the screen is bad or to big I can always get a nicer screen or go smaller and wont be out much $$. Or if it is just to big for my wife I could put some curtains up front and use them to block it out and make it smaller if needed.

Will put first row near the middle of the room and if I can fit it in will get a second row in I will have to build my own riser for this but not a big deal.

Sound I am doing a 7.1 surround sound (I really haven't decided on a speaker yet though) I have been using Polks and was thinking of going to the Rti line since can find some really nice deals of the refurb models from Polk. I know there are lot of people on here that are anti-polk and I have thought about doing the THX ultra 2 Kilpsich speakers but will need to wait for my next dose of budge money to do that. So right now planning on maybe squezzing some polk RTI in the budget then...

When I get next allowance I will add sound treatments, nicer seating, more ashetic(sp?) type stuff...
then If i am unhappy with the speakers I will start changing them out.
then upgade the projector
then upgrade the screen
then upgrade the amplifier
then upgrade the seats
then upgrade the ....

Does it ever stop .. :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Who here hates RTi? And no, it never stops.I've been in a 3 year holding pattern. Buying only to consolidate features(replacing a region free DVD and universal DVD over MCH with a region free universal over HDMI).Have a 5 bedroom house and bough 42" plasma to get rid of all my old tubes(helps when 42" plasma were under $500).But my main theatre has sat pat for 5 years.Living room just had an AVR change(AVR died)Bedroom theatre is "leftovers".Den is my office. Its last update was a Netgear PTV about a year ago.

I am not sure who or where it was but in my perusal and research looking thru forums I have read some people speak strongly about dislike of Polk. Nothing near the talk of bose. When I was a kid my parents had a pair of these SDA SRS speakers and they were pretty bad ass.

Besides the Factory refurb Polks I am having a hard time finding a speaker that sounds good + Looks good (personal opinion) + not terribly expensive.

thinking of RTi12 for main
and CSi fo center

so a bit over 1k for fronts.
Sub I have already (can barely turn it up cause wife don't like that much)
Surrounds I might use my current fronts for the surround back for now and by current rears (old polk rear don't remember model) as the sides.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Others here might disagree but I've been very happy with my Elite Screen from Amazon. It's about 1/3rd the price of a name brand one and you have to assemble it yourself, but it was a pretty great bang for the buck deal IMO.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Im with SP. I couldnt be more happy with my DaLite High Power 106" sceeen. Its not a fixed screen but for $277 brand new (and thats counting the extras charges for an additional 12" drop and black casing) Im very pleased.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I typically stay out of "what screen"...

Unless you are painting...or doing AT(Acoustically Transparent).

But, I'm a sound first theatre person and am used to customers shelling out for Screen Research ClearPix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks