What's new

Screen size right for HDTV, wrong for DVD! (1 Viewer)

EricThorsen

Auditioning
I installed a projector for my cable HD box and ran my DVD to it as well, via Component video. The problem I have is that the HD looks great, and fills up the entire screen. Any Non-HD signal through cable fills the middle of the screen, with two black boxes on the edges.
So far, no problem.
The problem is when I run a DVD-widescreen through the system. It has the 16:9 aspect ratio, but it is formatted to fit within the larger 4:3 ratio, which winds up on my screen with about 2 feet of space around the entire image.
It appears to me that the HD signal is truly 1080, while the DVD signal is a subset of the 480 size.
Can anybody help me with this?

Here is an image - be sure you are looking in monotype font to appreciate:

+--------------------------------+
| HD image Size |
| |===================| |
| | | |
| | DVD Image size | |
| | | |
| |===================| |
| | Non-HD Cable Img | |
+--------------------------------+

THanks for any help!
best regards,
Eric

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
use the [ code ] [/ code ] tags (no spaces) to display your ASCIi properly.

Does this happen with some widescreen DVDs or ALL DVDs? It sounds like a typical problem with non-anamorphic DVDs (ie not 'enhaned for widescreen TV' DVDs)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Some projectors have a mode called natural ... where they show the DVD pixel for pixel and no scaling. A 720x480 pixel array fits into this image area you are drawing ...

Regards

EricThorsen

Auditioning
This is for all DVDs. And I have checked the configuration settings on my DVD player (SONY dvp-s530d) and my projector (Viewsonic PJ551). I cannot find any setting to configure as 'Natural'
I think I need to learn more about the pixel arrangments. So far I only know that the standard 4:3 TV signal is 480, and teh HD is 1080. I'm afraid that by setting the size of my screen around the HD 1080 size, I will have this problem until I can find a DVD player that can "enlarge" the image.
What happens on a plasma screen? Do both the HD image AND a wide-screen DVD image fill the 16:9 size?
Thanks again for any help!
Best regards,
eric

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
On my plasma display, HD input (depending on the source as some is broadcast 4:3) fills the display completely and anomorphic widescreen DVD's show very small black bars on the top and bottom. (If I understand your question)

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks