Screen size right for HDTV, wrong for DVD!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by EricThorsen, Jul 5, 2004.

1. EricThorsen

EricThorsen Auditioning

I installed a projector for my cable HD box and ran my DVD to it as well, via Component video. The problem I have is that the HD looks great, and fills up the entire screen. Any Non-HD signal through cable fills the middle of the screen, with two black boxes on the edges.
    So far, no problem.
    The problem is when I run a DVD-widescreen through the system. It has the 16:9 aspect ratio, but it is formatted to fit within the larger 4:3 ratio, which winds up on my screen with about 2 feet of space around the entire image.
    It appears to me that the HD signal is truly 1080, while the DVD signal is a subset of the 480 size.
    Can anybody help me with this?

Here is an image - be sure you are looking in monotype font to appreciate:

+--------------------------------+
    | HD image Size |
    | |===================| |
    | | | |
    | | DVD Image size | |
    | | | |
    | |===================| |
    | | Non-HD Cable Img | |
    +--------------------------------+

THanks for any help!
    best regards,
    Eric

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    use the [ code ] [/ code ] tags (no spaces) to display your ASCIi properly.

Does this happen with some widescreen DVDs or ALL DVDs? It sounds like a typical problem with non-anamorphic DVDs (ie not 'enhaned for widescreen TV' DVDs)

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Some projectors have a mode called natural ... where they show the DVD pixel for pixel and no scaling. A 720x480 pixel array fits into this image area you are drawing ...

Regards

4. EricThorsen

EricThorsen Auditioning

This is for all DVDs. And I have checked the configuration settings on my DVD player (SONY dvp-s530d) and my projector (Viewsonic PJ551). I cannot find any setting to configure as 'Natural'
    I think I need to learn more about the pixel arrangments. So far I only know that the standard 4:3 TV signal is 480, and teh HD is 1080. I'm afraid that by setting the size of my screen around the HD 1080 size, I will have this problem until I can find a DVD player that can "enlarge" the image.
    What happens on a plasma screen? Do both the HD image AND a wide-screen DVD image fill the 16:9 size?
    Thanks again for any help!
    Best regards,
    eric

5. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

On my plasma display, HD input (depending on the source as some is broadcast 4:3) fills the display completely and anomorphic widescreen DVD's show very small black bars on the top and bottom. (If I understand your question)

Mort

6. RandyMathis

RandyMathis Stunt Coordinator

It sounds like your DVD player is set up for 4X3.