What's new

Screen placement advice, abnormal room (1 Viewer)

Daniel.T

Auditioning
I will be getting a Sanyo PLV70 / Boxlight SD20 in the next month or two. But I had some questions about how to place my screen in my room. I have a completely unobstructed short wall in my 18'x29' theater room to place my screen. Don't anyone get envious of a room this large, I only have a 7'6" ceiling due to the way the drop ceiling was installed prior to my purchasing the house. Because of various fixtures and such, I cannot raise the ceiling.

Am I going to have problems installing a 106" or 120" diagonal 16x9 screen in this kind of a room? My viewing position is from a couple of leather sofas that sit kind of low to the ground. Fully seated I would say my keester isn't more than 18" off the ground. Thanks for the assistance / advice.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Your ceiling is 90" high (7'6"). A 106" is 52"x93" and a 120" screen is 59"x105". This is not including black border material which is usually around 3" all around the screen. If you give yourself a 3" clearance between the screen and the ceiling then a 106" screen will be 29" from the ground and a 120" screen will be 22" off the ground. This should not be a major problem. if you ever decide to have a second row behind the first, then you would have to create a tiered system raising the second row higher than the first to prevent obstructions.

Daniel.T

Auditioning
Thanks. I think with the power lense shift, it should work with this particular PJ. It's one of the reasons that I wasn't going to spring for the extra $2k needed for the Sharp 10k or Infocus 7200 DLP units.

I've actually mapped out on my wall with low tack masking tape where the screen would go. Just didn't know if this projector can handle such a bizarre setup and whether I'd run into any unforsee problems such as light dispersion relative to my viewing position.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
As for light dispersement, try to mount the 70HT as far back as you can from the screen and zoom in rather than mounting the unit closer to the screen and zooming out. Usually this projector is good to use with a gray-based screen with a 1.0 gain because it has such a high light output anyway and you would gain some contrast ratio as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks