What's new

Screen gain of every day items like white paint; construction paper, and a sheet. (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Daniel Christensen
I have used an old classroom style 6x6 foot Da Lite model B and extended the sides with none other than white construction paper. It works pretty seemlessly. There seems to be minimal difference in gain. And the gain seems to be fairly average. My projector is pretty old and dim (Sharp XG-H440U- no projector central does NOT have an entry for this one; I was looking at the XG-H400U on projector central which is worse than mine once and thought it was mine; i realized it when I looked at the power consumption of mine which was greater and they look a little different). Anyway it's very old.

Not that I would ever use a bed sheet for a projection screen but I know people do so it would be good information to have here for other people to see.

Finally, white paint. No specail HT paint, regular white oil paint people have on the outside of their houses or on their walls.

Also post other household things people use for screens. Mostly I am concerned with white paper and possibly my old Da Lite Model B (very old; it's got the brown hex-shaped rollup thing at the top and it's square; 6x6 feet); there is a picture of it on my profile; it's my profile picture.

Real Name
Daniel Christensen
[SIZE= 12px]Here is the picture bigger; http://cdn.huddler.com/6/63/63f0d48d_barn theater screen.jpg

Somebody once asked me; "is this really in a barn?"

It sure is. It sure is. [/SIZE]

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
White flat surfaces have a "screen gain" roughly equal to one.

But the bed sheet has a gain less than one because a lot of light is lost behind it.

Alas the classroom projection screen or the home slide projector screen from days gone by is obsolete because it is square as opposed to "wide".

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Flat as opposed to glossy

Not flat as opposed to curved

Have to make a new post instead of edit my previous post because the edit button did not do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks