What's new

Screen for Community Room (1 Viewer)

Steven_MB

Agent
Wise Ones:

I am volunteering work on a community room video system that will be used about once/month to show DVDs or VCRs (4:3 and 16:9) to about 50 -75 people in a dark setting.

To stay in budget I plan to use a 1K$ projector like the X1 or Z1. We can't paint the wall, so have $100-200 budgeted for a screen (about 7.5 - 9' wide). Choices are:

A - Wall hung roll-up like a da-lite
B - The material alone from one of these (which would be hung for each showing, then stored). This saves the cost of the roller frame.
C - A home made screen of foam board on some kind of a collapsable home-made frame (to be stored after each show).

HD is not needed, just TV quality video.

Any ideas or traps?

Thanks, Steve

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
Go for the wall-mounted roll up. A Da-Lite Model B (their cheapest screen) in matte white should be sufficient and within your budget. The material-only option is a bad idea -- you will not save much but the exposed fabric will always be susceptible to damage. Plus, you'll never get the wrinkles out of it if you fold it up after each use. A DIY collapsible screen will also have annoying creases when in use, so is not a good choice.

Steven_MB

Agent
Thanks for the advice. Yesterday when I went to the local cinema, I saw a large approx 9' wide Lord of the Rings (vinyl-like)plasic poster hanging fairly well from the ceiling. The back was fairly flat white, and I was thinking that it would make a good temporary screen. Has anyone any opinions, or source for this kind of material?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks