What's new

scratchy noise on onkyo TX-SR502 with "video inputs" (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I noticed a very faint scratchy sound coming out of my speakers in a soft passage of music. This was quite annoying, so I muted playback and turned up the sound. At "Max" the scratchy sound was quite annoying, and proceeded, to isolate the problem, removing antennae, switching speakers, etc.

It appears to be associated with the V1, V2, V3, and DVD inputs-- in other words, those associated with a component, s/video, or composite input. At present, I don't use the video switching capability-- the onkyo doesn't switch RGB :). Is there a way of removing this noise, without teaching other household members that "the sonica is connected to the "MiniDisc input", and the HDTV is connected to the "CD input"?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Interesting.. Your saying if you use any audio input that has a video input associated with it, you get scratchy noise??? That's gotta drive you nutso for sure.

I have had experience with pretty many of those particular AVR's and have never noticed this on any of them. Think it's a defect? Or just maybe some sort of interference only effecting audio with associated video inputs?

This is a new one, I have never seen it before.

I'd take the AVR off premiss, like a different part of your area and see if it still does it.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Er, I was wrong about this-- the problem is not the video inputs, but rather the DSP-- if the DSP is turned on, (as one would expect with a video input) scratchiness is present. If off (Direct or Stereo mode) it's gone.
I should also note that the DTS Neo:6 decoder goes haywire (it clicks) if fed a 88.2 KHz source. So, maybe it is a bad unit.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a bad unit. Sounds just strange to me, quirky CPU section or something like that.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
A factory reset did wonders for my stereo. Good thing too, as the local repair shop had a four week turnaround. Of course, I'm going to have to whip out my spl meter again.

Nicu

Grip
Jeremy,

Can you hear the noise all the time? Does it happen when you use the digital inputs - coaxial, optical - or the analog inputs?

N

John S

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like the reset took care of it? I had actually assumed you had tried that.

Users who are viewing this thread