What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Hi Everybody! Here's a little story I shot and edited for News10 ABC. It's a tour of the Enterprise sets from the New Voyages crew up in Ticonderoga, NY. They have stopped making the fan films, but CBS has licensed them to give "original set" tours. We had a blast working on the story and it's quite an impressive attraction! Enjoy and LLAP!

Nice job. Nice cameo.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hi Everybody! Here's a little story I shot and edited for News10 ABC. It's a tour of the Enterprise sets from the New Voyages crew up in Ticonderoga, NY. They have stopped making the fan films, but CBS has licensed them to give "original set" tours. We had a blast working on the story and it's quite an impressive attraction! Enjoy and LLAP!

Amazing!!!

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher

Tears.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Adam and Leonard. No words.

Adam and Leonard.jpg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've seen that photo before many times and it's obviously in the blooper reel too. But it was the first time I'd seen such a quality image and noticed that Fred Philips or his assistants had not only done Adam's ears, but his eye brows too! Plus I could see they used Leonard's ear as its a little too big for Adam's ears. And the set was all lit by Finnerman's lighting, so it's a really cool image where you see it's all set for filming within the stylized look for Star Trek juxtaposed with 1960's street clothed Adam. :) If they'd had filmed Operation Annihilate, he could have worn Craig Hundley's Starfleet uniform if it fit. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You have the course Mr. Ferrell.- this week's episode was Mudd's Women.

Interesting that Mudd's Women was filmed before The Enemy Within. That explains Mr. Ferrell's appearance right after The Enemy Within in Mudd's Women. It also explains the undeveloped Mr. Spock whose being a bit inconsistent where the women are concerned. Then doing the thing that Lee mentioned in The Enemy Within.

The theme of this story is self confidence and not relying on external influences to help you get ahead. But during this viewing, and I don't recall if I noticed this before, Ruth and Magda were acting like drug addicts. Either by design, or just the way Harvey Hart drove the scene, they were really needing the drug. I also paid closer to how the make-up for the women was like old age makeup. No doubt to really contrast the enhanced appearance.

The trick of the colored gelatin always bugged me a little because if it's a fake, how did Eve's hair suddenly become brushed and the make-up is fixed up. But I know this was done to really show the audience the contrast of the slumped Eve and the confident Eve. I guess as a kid, I let this go by me as just the way it could happen, she did it herself.

Watching with the original effects, I still prefer it this way. The new matte painting of the Rigel living quarters and mine nearby is really nice in the establishing shot, but the original pan from left to right of the studio set from barren landscape to the living quarters still works.

The Enterprise in orbit is the new production version of the model, with lighted effects in the nacelles and new lit windows, and the model is shown leaving orbit. It's nice to have the two shots that cross fade back in synch with the sound, when Mr. Ferrell has the course and the music comes in as the external view of the ship shot is faded in. Later when Kirk and Mudd leave Childress and Eve, as Kirk and Mudd walk out the door, I always liked the fade to the ship in orbit and the music again builds up with the harp, it's a terrific seque. And we miss seeing Mudd cover his eyes as the dust blows in and they go out.

What Are Little Girls Made Of is next. Not my favorite, but I'll be viewing it.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
There has been a concerted effort to make consoles less susceptible to spilled coffee. Starship consoles used to be made exclusively of Hiexplodium alloy, which is very susceptible to liquid spills. New consoles are now being made from SparklerFirecracker alloy -- a technology borrowed from Lost In Space -- as it creates less damage during a combustion event.

-- Federation Health & Safety Council

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Starfleet Bulletin (Code 2):

Be alerted that all Constitution-class carpeting has now been treated with a Corbomite-based spray that will result in a stain of equal magnitude on the spilling receptacle. Disfigured fabric has little meaning to us. If it has none to you, then spill your coffee now.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
After looking at the screen capture from Mudd's Women of that bridge shot, I went back and had another look at the video Ric had posted of his visit to James Cawley's recreated Enterprise sets. He did a really fantastic job to recreate the sets and it's an effort that's probably unmatched! It would be worthy for any future legitimate Star Trek project to rent if that made sense,

Though I couldn't help but see a few areas that didn't quite look right. I was surprised the red areas on the sides of the conn are recessed. And the top of the consoles are glossier on the original set. The square displays that surround the bridge are glossier then the originals. There are missing moire patterned panels on the corridor ceilings and the angled arch way didn't have those moire panels either. I imagine those materials are likely unavailable today so it's hard to replicate. I'm being really nit-picky. Overall its an amazing effort!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just came across by accident, the Smithsonian film on the restoration of the 11 foot Enterprise filming model. I forgot that this was going to be out about now. Maybe some of you have seen it already.

It's on the Smithsonian channel, but my YouTube account showed it as something I might be interested in. One of the nice things that YouTube has done. I've watched about half and it's not exactly what I thought. It's showing the Enterprise being restored, but also a story on the EMP Museum in Seattle where the Sci-Fi museum is located where the curator who is a big fan is trying to collect original props and set pieces for a display at the museum. That wasn't something I was aware of. Plus they've added some scientists to talk about technology used on the series, phasers and tractor beams and transporters.

Plus cast members from Star Trek Beyond and Nichelle Nichols, David Gerrold, DC Fontana are included to talk about the series. One thing really interesting was what happened to the Enterprise sets and the inclusion of the original Captains chair.

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/videos/building-star-trek/50617

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

I'm kinda sad they aren't making these anymore....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks