What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (7 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'd advises you to keep dialin' ! I thought it was great that Justman recognized that the partially done script should have been completed by Coon to maintain the voice and comedy. :). Yes, Lee you had mentioned those things about the comedic episodes bring produced so closely. And you are right, three comedies out of 79 episodes is a small diversion. It's great these episodes were made. I think growing up as a kid and seeing these episodes are part of the reason Mudd and Action are not my favorites because I didn't get it at the time. I am able to get them now. I was able to grasp the ideas of other episodes in my teens, but the comedy doesn't always work for me. I guess I don't share Coon's sense of humor. I see the humor in it later and I can chuckle at it in Action. Tribbles was easy to get. I didn't have a problem with that episode. Probably because it wasn't so out there. My mind wasn't processing why we are seeing gangsters and Nazis on other planets. Both examples are well explained and I can accept it. The root of the theme of Action is the imitative abilities or proclivity of the Iotians and the damage one book made. I get that. I also like the aspect that the episode is kind of seen now as an example of fandom taken to extremes. I'll try to watch it again with the mindset like its fresh. ;)Since I recently visited Gamma Trianguli, I know Chekov and Landon and McCoy thought the planet was a paradise in The Apple. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Correct. It's currently 3-1 in favor of Lee, with five episodes remaining.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson and Lee,

Both of you are correct.

From I, Mudd:

Mudd: "So here I am in a planet with over 200,000 hard-working, happy androids, all of whom exist merely to serve my every ... mm, whim. It's absolute ... paradise."

http://www.voyager.cz/tos/epizody/42imuddtrans.htm

And Nelson, it's in the title of The Paradise Syndrome, but it's also said in the episode, so you're safe either way.

Miramanee: "You will wait until I walk the holy path to the earth lodge first to give me time to tell the priestess that you follow and that the joining will take place."

Kirk: "I have found paradise. Surely no man has ever attained such happiness."

http://www.voyager.cz/tos/epizody/59paradisesyndrometrans.htm

It's currently 4-2 in favor of Lee, with three answers remaining.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ahh, I was watching The Paradise Syndrome this morning to see if I could hear the word for sure. I only got as far as when Salish is rejected by Miramanee at the lake.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Ahh, I was watching The Paradise Syndrome this morning to see if I could hear the word for sure. I only got as far as when Salish is rejected by Miramanee at the lake.
"Behold the god who bleeds!"

;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I wondered about that episode too Lee. I think McCoy says to Kirk after the Gumato bite, "You and your garden of Eden! "Scott, yes, poor Salish!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,

Sorry, it's not said in A Private Little War. The word 'Eden' is said several times, but not 'paradise.'

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

No, it's not said or heard in that episode.

Lee,

Correct. It's currently 5-2 in your favor with two answers remaining.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,Affirmative. One answer left. You've won this round, so you can be thinking up another question while you're thinking of the final answer if you wish.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"You are an excellent tactician, Lee. You let mere mortals try to figure out answers to trivia questions while you sit and watch to see if anyone else knows the answers as you do right from the get-go. And you slip in an incorrect answer every now and then just to watch for weakness. In any event, the game is yours."

You're up next. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nice job Lee. The idea of an ideal paradise was an often discussed topic on the series and that human need to find that idilic place. And rejecting it if it means loosing one's need to grow and advance and be an individual. Of course escaping the pressure of modern life also was discussed. Do you think Roddenberry or Coon wanted that simpler life? Just a rhetorical question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks