What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The obvious answer is Mr. Spock. He was commended in Space Seed. And he was commended in The Immunity Syndrome when he was thought to have been lost in that mass of protoplasm.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
How about the Miracle Worker, Mr. Scott? He was commended for not violating the Prime Directive in Bread and Circuses and he was fired and rehired in The Apple.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,Yes, that's the example I alluded to above (about Scott being tempted but not giving in to it). I also mentioned Spock in my Space Seed post. I think that is the only person I got right in that post!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mr. Scott is correct, but the gallows humor of The Apple doesn't quite rise to the level of logged commendation. (Nor does earning one's pay for the week.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Of course, Kirk records his recommendations for special citations in The immunity Syndrome who includes not only Spock, but McCoy, Uhura, Chekov, Cowell, and of course, Montgomery Scott.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's interesting that so few crew members are seen being given commendations or citations on Kirk's log. Probably happened off-screen. :)He or Spock have given praise to the support characters. Such as Kirk saying Scotty can handle it, or Spock saying Sulu is an experienced combat officer, or Spock thinking of no one better equipped to handle it than Uhura, etc. Kirk praised Sulu, Chekov and Scotty in Elaan of Troyius.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, he is pretty generous in praising them. I think that the official logs usually happen after the adventure is over, so we don't hear them. The value of them in Space Seed and The Immunity Syndrome is giving us the impression of how hopeless the situation feels at the moment. (In Bread and Circuses, one could argue that Roddenberry and Coon were trying to make their plot contrivance seem more acceptable, but let's be generous and call it a nice character moment for Scotty.)Not sure how to score this one...Scott named Spock, Scott, and Uhura first and then Nelson found the second instance for all of them. So who has a question?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
During the course of the series, Kirk is the Captain. But he has also been a diplomat.I am thinking of six specific times Kirk was the "negotiator". This can be tricky and I imagine you guys may have answers outside of the ones I have in mind.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,Well, even though the best diplomat is a fully activated phaser bank to some, might Kirk have been a diplomat of sorts in A Taste Of Armageddon? And how about A Private Little War?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I knew it guys, you came up with other examples! I'll have to add them to the list.Armageddon is on the list. Kirk's unique diplomacy on display.Errand of Mercy is a big one and I forgot that one. And I was thinking about that one too.I had not thought of The Mark of Gideon. I guess there is negotiating there with Hodin.I had thought of A Private Little War, but wasn't sure there was any real negotiation going on. Kirk felt he had to intervene with the society there because the Klingons had already given the Hill People guns. So he felt he needed to arm his side. I am interested to discussion if there is evidence that Kirk was negotiating there.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,He probably isn't negotiating in A Private Little War. But I thought I would suggest it to see if it was one of the examples that you included.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
He has one of his greatest diplomatic successes in A Piece of the Action. "And the rest of you...I don't want any trouble from the rest of you!"

Users who are viewing this thread

• EdG

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks