What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (7 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I shall not shirk an affair of honour! I think I had heard, or we even discussed in the past that there were only two episodes filmed with scenes out on location in the third season. For some reason, when the question was brought up yesterday, I am not recalling the second one. Maybe I'm having a stroke! It wasn't Sarpeidon, that was stock footage of a frozen wasteland as was the old Victorian era footage. Cheron looked like old war footage was used. It wasn't Elba 2. It wasn't Holberg 917G. Maybe a hint?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
That's the other one! The fencing scene was filmed out on location, although I don't know exactly where. The ice age set was just in the studio ironically, but they did send Shatner and the bit players out for that 17th/18th century scene outside the library.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Just saw your post, Nelson. You're right that the image on the disc was stock footage, but the later scene with Shatner and the rest was really shot outside.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You need a lesson on your betters!Well, I wasn't sure that scene was really on location, and was filmed on the backlot. I noticed it was the same location used for a East European location in a Mission Impossible! One with Martin Landau and Barbara Bain. The one for sure filmed on location was The Paradise Syndrome. If they are calling the scene filmed that Shatner and the extras outside on the backlot as location, then I guess that's that. It is out of the sound studio stage and if that is indeed the backlot. As were scenes filmed at Bronson Canyon or the Forty Acres lot in earlier seasons. Then I can see that. I was thinking of scenes filmed at places like Vazquez Rocks as location.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
That's a fair distinction. I wouldn't necessarily have initiated the question for that reason, but I assume that's what your friend meant because they never even left the building for the rest of that year.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, nice job Scott, you got the All Our Yesterday's one! :)Maybe my definition was too constricting as to what a filming location is. I was thinking anything on a backlot is technically still at the studio. Bronson Canyon now that I think of it is a location outside the studio. Forty Acres was also outside the studio, but I think of it as a backlot shot. But as you said Lee, they really never left the building in the third season with the exception Paradise Syndrome and the 17th/18th century fencing scene. I stand corrected!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hope you'll indulge me again as I journey through the third season again. I found three more episodes with silver linings as radio shows to paraphrase Lee paraphrasing Bob Justman. :)Two scenes seem to jump out more to me from Let That Be Your Last Battlefield. The scene that's often cut out of syndication broadcasts was when Lokai is in the crewman's lounge. It was interesting how when seen, you see Spock eavesdropping near the doors cracked open. That was an interesting bit of staging. But listening to it, how he's trying to convince the crew of his plight, our heroes are almost oblivious to his problem, contrasting to the scene with Bele and Kirk and Spock and how Bele tries to explain to an almost oblivious Kirk and Spock his position. Clearly we are seeing how far past we are to the primitive attitudes of Bele and Lokai.Then to hear the over the top lunacy of Steve Ihnat's performance of Lord Garth was quite entertaining. As was the scene of Spock trying to negotiate with Hodin in Gideon. Somehow that scene seems so much more infuriating and quite a fun bit of jabbing at the bureaucracy of the Federation.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Good points about those two episodes. I love the scene when Spock is eavesdropping. And Hodin's pro-life speech (and his people's stance on it) gets me every time I hear it.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
One of the levels added by those scenes with Bele and Lokai persuading the crew is the illustration of how racists and fanatics attempt to disguise themselves as reasonable people. Compare the two scenes you cited with their behavior on the bridge, when their facades have been dropped. All their "serious" arguments are just rehearsed propaganda now; violence and rage are all that remain in the "real" Bele and Lokai. That lesson would have had very practical applications during the era of segregation and the Black Power movement.Ihnat has a blast in Whom Gods Destroy and it's contagious. Far from the deepest or most complex episode thematically, it's still always interesting to me because he and Yvonne Craig are so surprising in their choices.Spock negotiating with Hodin, Starfleet, and the Federation Bureau of Interplanetary Treaties is a witty reminder that Star Trek was, among many other things, a love letter to the importance of (and headaches endured by) middle management.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Part of the problem with Battlefield is the visuals. I was surprised I was more into that episode without the imagery. I think they made the half black half white thing too literal, though I understand why. I would imagine it could have been done more like the way dogs have differences in color on their fur, so it's more of an organic thing. But then again, it was a stylized thing to make a point.So yes, without the visuals, especially the scene where Spock eavesdrops, you just hear the propaganda that Lokai is trying to push, and the same with Bele, their serious conversations got across better. But you are right, they turn into raving psychotics! It's funny on top of the middle management fun they had in Gideon, as I listened to the overpopulation issue, I am reminded of that period when overpopulation was a real concern. But that doesn't seem to be much of a concern these days. But in a way, I suppose the issue remains with how we are using up our resources and threatening the planet. Your decision is completely arbitrary! That was a great line! :)Well, I'm onto The Lights of Zetar.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well guys, just for the sake of completeness, my friend was able to get response from the 'experts' on that other forum regarding the episodes filmed on location in the third season.It was All Our Yesterday's that was the second one. Wow, the post count on this thread is approaching 5 figures!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well guys, I wanted to keep the thread going.I saw three episodes of TOS in a row, The Apple, Friday's Child and The Changling. And it reminded me of something that I've been thinking about. In all their travels during TOS, the crew has been injured and incurred diseases. One hopes Starfleet has a good health plan after they retired. Of all the lines in the new Star Trek movies, I really like Karl Urban's about Space being dangerous!So for fun, rather than make this a trivia question, name all the diseases and injuries the main bridge crew has been subjected to. Seems like I may have brought this up before. Sorry if I have.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,When you say 'main bridge crew,' do you really mean that or do you mean the eight or nine 'regulars' we're accustomed to seeing? Bones and (I don't think) Scotty aren't really Bridge crew. Truth be told, even after all these years of viewing TOS, I'm not really sure about Scotty.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm operating under the assumption that we may include Bones and Scotty. If not, that's fine.

There sure are a lot of them. I'll start by listing a few of them. We have the Psi 2000 disease; a few of the Bridge crew being harmed by Charlie Evans; Sulu getting zapped in The City On the Edge Of Forever; Scotty being 'killed' in The Changeling; and the space sickness incurred from the region of space in The Tholian Web. Are we counting Gary Mitchell in the second pilot?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The forum hasn't been working for me in a couple of days.Lots of illnesses and injuries--in The Apple alone, Spock gets hit with the thorns and struck by lightning. In The Changeling, Uhura is zapped (Scott already mentioned Scotty's "death"). In Friday's Child, all three of them get into various fistfights, but McCoy is actually knocked unconscious by Eleen.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Those are all good answers Scott! Sure, let's include the earlier crew of the Enterprise and Mitchell and Dr. Dehner.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, yes, the forum doesn't work on my iPhone 5 today via safari! Those are good answers too Lee! Spock suffering the most from the attacks by Val and Dr. McCoy's potions!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, got a new phone on Saturday and it's been unavailable since.Spock also gets shot by a flintlock in A Private Little War and gets shocked in The Omega Glory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks