What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (6 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
While I think about the last diagonal example, for the vertical tubes between decks, do you mean the ones with the ladders, as in The Naked Time, Amok Time, and Day of the Dove? Or some other kind of tube?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, sorry if I confused you possibly. The last one is the vertical one, and it was Amok Time! You also mentioned the Day of the Dove vertical. I do 't recall the The Naked Time vertical tube, unless you mean the scene where Sulu goes up the ladder after threatening the crew members in the corridor with the sword. But now that you mention it, IIRC, Sulu was in the diagonal tube too in Day of the Dove. I forgot about that one! I think that covers it. It's kind of funny, until now, while there was a lot tube climbing going on TOS, the spin off series really took that to new levels.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Okay, I'll take this one. I'm sure Lee won't mind.

Name the episode of TOS from which the following two images are taken:

48obr59.jpg

48obr45.jpg

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,Amazingly, you are correct. I have no idea how you deduced that. ;) You're up next.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, a wild lucky guess! The red planet made me think of either Vulcan or the planet where Kirk battles the gaseous creature.I'll work on a question. But Lee is also eligible to go next.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Well done narrowing it down so quickly, Nelson. If I think of a good question, I'll post it.Incidentally, the second volume of These Are The Voyages is available for pre-order now, to be shipped in late March. I did get a chance to preview it and, if anything, it's better than the first one. I realized that so much of the literature on the history of the show focuses on the first season, so there is a lot of new information (and corrected misinformation) in this volume.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lee!And thanks for the heads up on the second volume of These are The Voyages. I think that as tempting it is to read a sample from the book, I'll try to wait! I think I have a tricky trivia question to toss out that might be interesting while Lee cogitates the next question. I didn't come up with it, a friended tossed it my way, but first I wanted to post some thoughts on the third season.Last summer I had a marathon watching the third season. It was good and reinforced some conclusions I had about it anyway. How it really built up upon how close the main three characters are. That really is the big take away every long term fan knows that has become legend and everyone could think that was the case from the first episode. But it built upon season after season and was really strongest in the third year. But what prompted me to want to talk further on this is that as you know, I listen to the series in the car during my commute to and from work. It's great because the series could be a great radio show. So what has just struck me as I had not listened to the third season much because I hadn't made those files until a few months ago. There are episodes I wasn't as enamored with and I gave them a chance and listened to them. As I mentioned recently, I was really struck by The Cloud Minders. And I was also really struck by Is There in Truth There is No Beauty. :) just having fun with the title. So the dialogue on these two episodes transformed them for me. For some reason, when there is no visual, the story stood out more and I really saw the meat of the morality play. And it made it an even more stronger episode for me.Regarding Miranda Jones, the dialogue there hadn't been as clear to me. Yes, I knew she was jealous of Spock, but it wasn't clear to me that perhaps she may not have been giving it her all at the end to help Spock with her mind meld. And she learned something from Kirk. I never really got that Kirk's taunting her while in sickbay with her sensor dress off, that he changed her feelings about how she felt I that situation.And it was a terrific turn at the end that because Spock had enjoyed a meld with Kolos, Miranda in turn was able to do it second hand. It was a nice thing too that in return, in the TNG episode, Unification where Picard mind melded with Sarek, Spock was able to meld with Picard later and experience his father's feelings. I just had another listen to The Tholian Web. The end always confounded me a little because it wasn't always clear how the Enterprise got out of the web. And in listening, this time the line sunk in regarding how the Enterprise was up to so many percent power to drive in interspace. So it occurred to me as the web was closing, the Enterprise really just went through the space fabric into interspace and the ship's engines drove it away from the Tholian space where it then re entered normal space, while dragging Kirk along who was in the transporter beam. Not sure I can find more in other episodes, but I'll keep listening.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
And the tricky question my friend tossed my way. Sorry to jump in ahead of you Lee if you had an idea for a question. My friend told me in the forum he frequents, there is a Star Trek thread or two. There was a trivia question there that I think is a trick. It asked; In the Third season, there are two episodes filmed out on location. I can think of one. I don't think there is a second one.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Some terrific observations about the third season. Justman used to quip that, because of the reduced budgets, they were making radio shows that year, but you have found the silver lining to that cloud.In listening to the Mission Log podcasts, I heard the hosts despairing of understanding how the Enterprise escaped the web of the Tholian ships. You have explained it quite well, although I see how it might not be obvious from the show on a first viewing. What you said about Miranda Jones nicely reflects Kirk's explanation of what happens; he does make her "see" the ugliness within herself and that forces her to decide who she really wants to be. It turns out that there is indeed beauty in truth.The trivia question isn't a trick. There is a second episode in the third season featuring location filming. Do you want to consider it more or would you like my answer?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, now you have challenged me! Are you challenging me? :)Okay, before you say, let me ponder that trivia question a bit. It wasn't The Way to Eden, there is a stock shot I think of a beautiful natural setting, but the cast wasn't there. It wasn't Gideon. It wasn't Platonius. It wasn't Ardana. I'm not seeing it yet.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,

Well, one of these must be The Paradise Syndrome. Is the other All Our Yesterdays?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks