What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I noticed McCoy's reaction to Spock's comment in Spectre of the Gun! That was a good bit there!I like your thinking Lee, put off Corbomite maneuver till November! :)Thanks for the insight on the other writers who were published that weren't so happy about rewrites verses Kandel! I'll be reading on! This is a kind of nice pace for me, I can read about the episode, then watch it. Though if the contents stays this engrossing, I may speed up!Okay, then I'll have to think harder on a good question.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Happy Anniversary to TAS as well, which premiered on September 8, 1973. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, 40 years of The Animated Series!I just watched The Man Trap. The first scene between "Nancy" and McCoy in his cabin is so instructive about the nature of the creature. She talks about how she likes being with McCoy because his memories of her are so strong. Besides explaining why she doesn't kill McCoy, it also explains why she is so peculiar and silent as Green, while she is so much more comfortable as Nancy and McCoy and Uhura's crewman. The more she picks up from the listener, the more she can offer "in character." No one knows Green well or has many memories or expectations, so she is stuck with just the physical persona. But when playing someone known and liked (or frequently imagined, as with Uhura's crewman), it's a different experience. I also watched the preview trailer for the episode. I wonder when it was made, as the episode aired first in the series and then never aired again on NBC. For syndication? International sales? In any case, the interesting thing about it was that the stardate in the narration was 1324.1 instead of 1513.1. I wonder why it was changed for either the episode or the trailer. I do know from Cushman's book that the first log entry was recorded and added later, after principal photography was long finished because Justman and the editors thought the beginning of the show was confusing, so they added the log entry and the bridge shots taken from The Naked Time before the landing party beamed down. But why had Shatner recorded it with two different stardates?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,Those are excellent observations with regard to 'Nancy' and the preview trailer. As to the stardate question, I have no idea. It's not as though any of the numbers (in any position) could have been transposed (or misread in the script), either. And even if they were, it would take three changes in number to explain that. That's an interesting question for sure.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed with Scott, those are terrific obervations of Nancy. I'll be watching for those when I get to this episode!I watched Mudd's Women during lunch today. Watching the episodes after reading about them puts a new wrinkle on them for me. For example, I didn't realize that it's the first time Majel is the computer voice as Cushman noted. Spock is still not quite there yet. The Rigel living quarters external set being a man made structure and the inside looking more cave like. How could I have missed that before! Though to me, it wasn't a big deal as the outer part could simply have been the roof and they dug the insides out. And we have another less then proficient navigator! :). Though to be fair to Farrell, he was smitten by the artificially enhanced women.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,Mr. Farrell should have been retained in my opinion. It's not like he auditioned for the role of Napoleon 'Sulu' before he got the role on Star Trek. ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, too bad Farrell shipped out.Here's the next trivia question. Name all 5 children who were the survivors of the expedition on that dirty old place, Triacus. To make it interesting, can you not only name their first names, but last names too?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,Well, I can name all of their first names, and some of their last names: Tommy Starnes, Mary, Don, Steve, and Ray Tsing Tao. My last one is a guess based on the tombstone, but I think that the last name of Ray (played by Brian Tochi, whom I used for a trivia question many months ago) was close to this.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You guys are sharp! Scott, you got all five first names and two last names. Lee, you got the remaining three last names.I want to declare this one a tie!Since you guys got this so fast, for fun, what was Stevie's ice cream order after his disappointing surprise? :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I read through about half the entry for The Enemy Within. It was interesting that Matheson knew Shatner's ability as an actor from their Twilight Zone episodes. So i was surprised to read he wrote it especially for Shatner, that's the first time I heard of that.Cushman's feeling that William Shatner went a little over the top on that one I'm not sure I agree with. As the evil Kirk, I felt like he was trying to really show the contrast between the good and evil sides. I started to write more aspects of the entry, but I realized I'm probably spoiling it for others who haven't read the book yet. I'll finish reading the entry tonight.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Nelson Au said:
Scott, you got all five first names and two last names. Lee, you got the remaining three last names.I want to declare this one a tie!
I like your arithmetic...

Stevie ordered a really bizarre combination, with the possibly unintended campy joke being that Nurse Chapel had only four or five selector discs and one of them just happened to be his weird order. I don't remember his exact request, though.

Did you cover And the Children Shall Lead in your marathon? Lots of problems with that one to be sure, but there is one aspect of it that I really love, in that it is the most direct iteration of an important part of the series' philosophy. The Gorgon says he would invite Kirk to join him, but Kirk is gentle and that is a grave weakness. Kirk replies that they are strong also, and the Gorgon says that their strength is canceled by their gentleness. At that point, Kirk proceeds to prove him wrong by banishing/destroying him, and by doing so without harming the children. That idea of goodness being a strength rather than a weakness, and of decency being able to hold its own against aggression is so important in Star Trek. Kirk demonstrates it time and again, and it is one of the ways the series manifests what I consider its "practical optimism." And the Children Shall Lead is far from the only, or the best, example in the series of goodness and strength coexisting, but it is the one instance where Kirk is specifically challenged about it and he steps up and makes his case.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Since you guys got this so fast, for fun, what was Stevie's ice cream order after his disappointing surprise? :)
Nelson,That would be chocolate wobble and pistachio, with a touch of ... peach. ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Very impressive Scott! That was Stevie's ice cream order! I wonder what chocolate wobble is? Well, Scott takes the cake.Lee, you make a very good case for the merits of And the Children Shall Lead. I did watch it as part of my marathon. Reminds me of Kor when he speaks of the human qualities that make human's weak: mercy. But Kirk's attack on Gorgon here is a very direct one. He shows the children the better qualities of humans and the fun they had with their families, then shows them the terrible thing that Gorgon did. In the case of Errand of Mercy, Kirk doesn't get the chance to show how "good"is stronger then evil. But I now wonder, the Klingons weren't really evil. They just are a more aggressive species. It didn't work out so well in The Savage Curtain. Good won. But Yarnek didn't understand why. However Kirk did show compassion and mercy in Arena by sparing the Gorn and surprising the Metrons. And he impressed the Melkots too. Perhaps this good verses evil is another theme of the third season. Even in the case of the Empath, Kirk's speech to Tharn was that compassion was dead in them. Well, as for the question of the children, I think Scott is the clear winner now. You're next. Sorry Lee, yes my math was a little screwy. Scott got all five first names and two last names. Lee, you got three last names. Scott put the cherry on top of Stevie's ice cream by getting his ice cream order!But I think you both won!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I was going to conjure up another of my number puzzles, but let's do this one first. I believe that it will be quite easy. Name an episode of TOS which mentions fasting.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,

No, not that one. A logical guess, however.

Incidentally, this is not any kind of a trick question. The word is mentioned, and it means just what one would think it means (not eating).

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Nelson, just a joke about the math. And those are some excellent examples of what Kirk tried to tell the Gorgon. Good point about the game being "called" in Errand of Mercy, although there are steps that they take earlier. I'm interested in your evil/aggressive distinction as it applies to the Klingons. Certainly the spin-offs make the difference crystal clear. I find it harder to let the Klingons off the hook in the series, as their behavior is pretty outrageously cruel and self-serving. The one exception that comes to mind is Day of the Dove. There, we get Mara's justification for their behavior. Kirk doesn't accept it, and I don't either, but it does help explain that they aren't malignant without motive. Also in that one, there are implications that individual Klingons are misled by leaders, and so we cannot judge all Klingons the same way (a nice lesson also). So I am not disagreeing with you about the Klingons, but I am interested in how you conclude they are aggressive but not evil, as I have a harder time distinguishing in their case.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Whom Gods Destroy? Regarding Governor Cory not attending dinner?
Affirmative! (Please forgive the emotional response.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks