What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
On another topic, in watching Tomorrow is Yesterday, I was thinking about a few things they might have taken liberties with. That later series used as limitations.When the Enterprise sling shot around the Sun and was heading back to Earth, it was going at warp speed within the Solar System. Interesting how in TMP Kirk mentions the risk of engaging warp drive while still within the Solar System. Of course, I can chalk that up to early days and also it was an extreme situation and they did what they needed to do to get home.Plus, while hurling through the system towards Earth at faster then light speeds, by the time Kirk gave the orders to beam both Christopher and the Sargent back, wouldn't they have been well out of the system? Which brings up the later concerns of transporting someone while at warp. And poor Colonel Fellini and the Airman. They will have egg on their face to explain to their superiors, unless they both agree that Kirk and the pointy eared guy were never there and not record the incident. I suppose Spock and Sulu collected all the paperwork Fellini had been preparing too before they beamed back.But I'm not nitpicking, sometimes theses thoughts enter my mind. Still an enjoyable episode.Lee, on those remaining Federation planets, I'm tempted to ask if they are mostly in the third season, or are they mentioned in the first and second too? I guess I am asking.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
All reasonable questions about Tomorrow is Yesterday. And going back and forth some, the warp drive in the solar system thing happens again in Star Trek IV, after they make an issue of it in TMP. But yes, the biggest head scratcher is how very long they are in the solar system at multi warp speeds, which should get them out in literally seconds (as it does in All Our Yesterdays or else they would all be dead). The remaining visited planet is from the first season, and I have one mentioned planet from each season left.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Guys,Did they ever explain whether Captain Christopher or the Guard retain their memories of what happened? I believe that Spock alludes to this at least with regard to Captain Christopher. The reason I ask is because we see the Guard looking quite confused after the final materialization takes place, which has on occasion led me to believe that he had no memory of any of his experiences on the Enterprise.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Kirk has a line in the briefing room that addresses that question. He says Christopher and the Sargent won't have anything to remember because it wouldn't have happened yet. And the Sargent's confused look is because he thought he saw or heard something in the room, but when he goes in, there's no one there. Like how Christopher reacts when he's beamed into the cockpit, he thought he saw a ship, but it was gone.Thanks Lee, so a few more to go. So more Star Trek viewing!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I agree with Nelson's interpretation that neither "guest" will have any memory of his time on the Enterprise. The problem that remains for me is, if that is what happens to them, why do Kirk and the others remember anything? Once they go around the sun, aren't they in the same situation as Captain Christopher and the sergeant?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I can't spell military ranks to save my life and spell check didn't help! I always thought that once Christopher and the sergeant are beamed back to Earth, they integrate with their earlier selves. But the Enterprise is still in the temporal bubble and retain their timeline and memory. That's my cockamamie theory. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think it's the show's cockamamie theory also. I guess it's fair enough; I just have an easier time accepting the idea of the "temporal bubble" in a case like The City on the Edge of Forever," wherein the Guardian is exerting some special force on time, as opposed to here where the process is entirely "natural."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, One day soon man is going to be able to harness incredible energies, maybe even the atom. Energies that could ultimately hurl us to other worlds in some sort of spaceship. And then we can test the time travel theory. :)

I think Omicron Ceti III was already mentioned, as well as the mining planet Janus VI.

What about Starbase 12, a planet in the Gamma 400 system?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Good catch, but I purposely discounted starbases just because it seemed like they were in their own category, as potentially mobile installations, kind of like our current day military bases.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough Lee about Starbases. I figured they might not fit your criteria. We don't know what planet Starbase 11 is on either.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
By the way, I can't seem to edit any of my posts, but post #8534 above ought to have read 'Beta III' and not 'Beta II.'

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking of Gamma II but that was a remote planetoid and uninhibited like Delta Vega.But what about Gamma Hydra II, yes, a slip of the tongue Gamma Hydra IV!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Alright! I knew there must have been one more place in the episode! So that's one down, two more mentions to go and one more actual visit.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dr. Wallace and her hubby were doing experiments on Aldebaran III, but I'm thinking that doesn't count for the reason that Aldebaran is counted already and it was a lonely research station. I just picked up the Arena, Scotty and Kelvin ornaments at Hallmark. Thanks again for the boost to remind me to get them before I forget!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm still working on those last planets.Whilest I'm doing my house work today, I had MeTV going on in the background. Also last night when I went to bed, I saw an episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea with Warren Stevens, I tuned in very late. Then I saw this afternoon an episode of The Mod Squad, a series I've not seen since its aired. Vincent Price was a guest star. He played the deceased father of a girl whose a rising star in Hollywood. Price's character died in 1950, and his daughter who is Peggy Lipton's age is about to marry Warren Stevens. So it was freaky to see Stevens in a show from the 70's!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I missed your post Lee. The Kelvin was pretty well done! I thought it was cool the artist sculpted Scotty with the Spock built generator device!

Users who are viewing this thread

• EdG

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks