What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (2 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It just seems like an entirely different set of skills. Theater actors also have the advantage of prodigious rehearsal time as compared to film and especially television actors. And there are also some theater actors who aren't very good in other media. (And obviously, vice versa.)That's funny. I never really thought about comparing the Brady house interior and exterior. Doesn't really work, does it?Colony Beta VI is good. You are so right about the Enterprise and their poor record for rendezvous. Not that they didn't have good reasons, but you can see ship captains and colony governors rolling their eyes when they find out which ship will be delivering their supplies... I feel bad for having asked such a huge question, but you are knocking them off with alacrity. Let me know when you want a number for the rest of my list.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee and Nelson,

The owners of the home used for the exterior shots in The Brady Bunch have had some interesting experiences over the years as far as tourists wanting to see it are concerned. I believe it has been 'off limits' for years, and that shrubbery and trees now block much of what we could see ca. 1969-1974 and shortly thereafter.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It's often hard for people whose homes become iconic in that way. The people who owned the house used for The Mary Tyler Moore Show got very annoyed by the tourists and curious locals and when the production was going to come back to get some additional exterior shots of the house, they put an "Impeach Nixon" sign in the window to make it less likely that the new shots would be incorporated into the show.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
True, theres a house In San Francisco where Mrs Doubtfire was filmed that's popular and I've driven past the house that Frank Bullitt lived in in San Francisco. Obviously those residences don't get as much traffic, so to speak from fans. Here's a link I found of the original house in the Brady Pilot that Mike and his sons live in that I was so fascinated with:http://www.iamnotastalker.com/2010/12/15/mike-and-carol-bradys-homes-from-the-pilot-episode-of-the-brady-bunch/And of course the iconic house that they use in the series is here:http://www.1164.com/burbank/bradys/As you said about the Moore house, it's been camouflaged too over the years by that unfortunate brick and steel fence.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sure enough!By the way Lee, the question about Federation planets is a big one. But it's an enjoyable challenge. I have been tempted to ask how many are left, but I'm happy to keep blindly picking away at them!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I would think the rocks of Capella IV, even with the treaty our heroes negotiated with Regent Leonard James Akaar, did not make the planet under the influence of the Federation, would it? And the planet of Kirk's old friend Tyree was also fought for with the Klingons, yet it wasn't clear at the end, moreso here, whether it was under the flag of the Federation.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
And just for grins, I used Google Maps street view and made a quick visit to both the houses used as Mike Brady's house in the pilot and the series.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
FanCollector said:
It's often hard for people whose homes become iconic in that way. The people who owned the house used for The Mary Tyler Moore Show got very annoyed by the tourists and curious locals and when the production was going to come back to get some additional exterior shots of the house, they put an "Impeach Nixon" sign in the window to make it less likely that the new shots would be incorporated into the show.
Nice attitude from the homeowners. Don't know the whole story, but I imagine they were well compensated for the initial filming.

What did they expect? MTM was already a "star", it's not like it was a pilot show with unknown actors that may or may not make it and fade into oblivion.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No, Nelson, I put both of those in the potential future category, like some of the earliest guesses we discussed.Stan, it probably was an unfair case of "location allowers' remorse," as you suggest. They probably weren't well compensated (I think they just pay you some nominal fee for the day they film the shots), but they did agree. They likely just assumed it wouldn't get much attention after the first couple of months, but once they did agree, they probably should have stuck to the deal. I've heard versions of the story whereby that inability to film new shots led to the character moving, but other explanations for the move seem more plausible to me.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,

I've been watching a lot of The Outer Limits (original series) lately. Per our discussion of TOS actors appearing in other shows, I have another 'fiver.' I'm hoping that when you see this cast list, you might come up with a 'sixer,' but I don't believe there is one here. And I've got to tell you, coming up with the five was a tad tricky. Enjoy! :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0667814/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to add, it's also cool to be able to see the real thing and how the TV sets don't always match as in those windows. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
FanCollector said:
I count six!! Vic Perrin should count. (Plus Gerd Oswald directed making it six actors and a director!)
Lee,Well, to be honest, I haven't counted Gerd Oswald (or other directors such as those found in Insight), but perhaps we could count Vic Perrin as we do hear his voice. At the very least, we have our first 5.5 at this point. ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That house used for the MTM exteriors has been restored and taken very good care of! I was going to make a joke that if we all bought it to turn it into bed and breakfast. But that would be a shame to ruin that house. Have I mentioned the two lunatic asylums, Tantalus Colony and Elba II?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I watched me some Janos Prohaska (er, 'Mikey') last night. When I first saw this one many years ago, I had no idea what was going on or where the team had landed. Although a relatively weak episode in the anthology, I did like the premise.

4676539_l2.jpg

screen-capture-1.png

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I always liked that episode! Though I find it surprising that some articles say the creature costume in that episode is the same costume used for the Horta. To me it's a totally different looking costume/prosthetic. If it was modified to be the Horta, then I can see that as being plausible given the economics of TV production. But Horta looks totally different. Do you guys have information on that? Still working on planets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks