What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
You guys have me wondering about one of my two favorite directors (Hitchcock) and what my favorite film of his might be. I've never been able to choose. I own several of them, and one day would like to own them all.
Although I love many of his films, among my favorites are Psycho (I love the TOL connection), Strangers On a Train, The Girl Was Young, North By Northwest, Rear Window, and Dial M For Murder. I also like Vertigo and The Birds quite a lot.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have all those Hitchcock titles Scott, except That Girl Was Young. I don't think I've ever heard of it, must be an older British film?I was listening to Bread and Circuses this morning and was wondering if that episode had a tad more budget or time, if they could have filmed the arena portions over at the fort set at Vasquez Rocks where Cetus 3 was filmed; the gladiator fights with McCoy and Spock then later with Kirk I mean. Add some sweat and dust and action such as in Sparticus, I bet that would have made the episode really gritty and even more a threat to our heroes. Sort of like how Arena turned out. But I guess the point is that it being in a modern 20th Century TV studio, it had that TV roller derby or wrestling feel to it.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
"Are you out of your Vulcan mind? Do you know how long I've worked..."The instance that most makes me laugh: Elaan of Troyius.All good choices, Scott. Dial M for Murder is an underrated gem.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Nelson, what a great idea! I never thought about that location for the arena. You're right that the satirical element may have been a higher priority for the producers (given that the episode featured a lot of location work), but that's still a fascinating alternative visual to imagine.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"I have all those Hitchcock titles Scott, except That Girl Was Young. I don't think I've ever heard of it, must be an older British film?"
Nelson,
Affirmative. It's also known by the title Young and Innocent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_and_Innocent

Lee,

The unexpected turns in Dial M For Murder are IMO some of the best in the genre.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have Dial M For Murder on the new blu ray and I've been waiting till I got a 3D capable player before watching it! I agree its a gem. It scared the heck out of me as a kid when I saw the guy try to kill Grace Kelly.The antidote to the Dohlman is trivia! Correct and another answer I didn't consider. Thanks Scott for the link to That Girl was Young. I'll look into it. Wouldn't it be something watch Lee, the gladiator fights on Star Trek in the arena at Vasquez Rocks!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
There's the Balance of Terror moment we discussed last week, when McCoy reacts to Spock's military analysis in the briefing room.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had a question mark on that one. The more I think about it, it was an outburst at Spock. "Trivia is never imperative!" Another one for Lee.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Speaking of question marks, how did you assess The Enterprise Incident? McCoy blows up at Spock to be sure, but it turns out to be a performance for the benefit of the Romulan Commander.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"What did you do? "I had to think about that for a second. Because I wasn't sure if McCoy knew yet what the mission really was at that point. So it was likely Kirk who told McCoy the plan while in the cell. Okay, another one! And I just realized there is another answer to add to the list. Might as well redub the question to which episode did McCoy not yell at Spock! :)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Nelson Au said:
"What did you do? "I had to think about that for a second. Because I wasn't sure if McCoy knew yet what the mission really was at that point. So it was likely Kirk who told McCoy the plan while in the cell. Okay, another one!And I just realized there is another answer to add to the list. Might as well redub the question to which episode did McCoy not yell at Spock! :)
Even when McCoy didn't out and out yell, he was pretty much always irritated with Spock. So, of course, who else could possibly have housed Spock's katra in Search for Spock? The magic, IMO, is that despite the irritation McCoy feels, DeForest Kelley always managed to imply in his acting the deep respect and uncompromising loyalty McCoy has for Spock, and that always touches me.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
This is neither here nor there, but I watched "Journey to Babel" just now (what a great show) and when I put grey matter to it I was startled to realize that episode is Sarek's only appearance in TOS. In only a handful of appearances, mostly in the films, once in the animated series, and twice on TNG, Sarek became such a part of the Star Trek fabric that it feels like he was in quite a few episodes. But no.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Bryan,That's so true what you wrote about Sarek (how it feels like he was in more episodes). Lee has discussed that perception with regard to the eight or nine main characters a few times, and how they often seem as though they're in episodes they are not. And dang it, this ship really does feel like it has 400+ passengers on it! :)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
It is because they have become our family, as real as flesh and blood. Sorry, I'm feeling sentimental, a bit too much Saurian brandy I guess!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
One of the many great things about Journey to Babel is the depth to which it allows us to understand Spock and Sarek's relationship, in spite of the fact that they DON'T SPEAK to one another for almost the entire show. The artfulness with which Ms. Fontana conveys that family dynamic makes it seem, as you suggest, as though we must have seen more of Sarek. No coincidence, I suspect, that Mark Lenard was invited to participate in all those various follow-ups."Mr. Spock, you're the most cold-blooded man I've ever known!"Court Martial.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The family dynamic is terrifically played out in Babel! The many years of repeated viewings certainly add to the family feel we fans have transferred to the characters! The same could be said for Kor and Koloth and Kang. Strong characters who made a huge mark on us along with Sarek and Amanda. Continuing their characters in the films and TNG certainly adds to the sense that they've been in more the one episode! I recall in the dark ages before the films and TNG how much of an impression Sarek made in that episode. "Well why are you just sitting there! ". You're the most cold blooded man I ever met Lee. :). I just had a quick view of that scene. I wouldn't have added that because it didn't seem McCoy got that mad. But upon viewing it, he was mad! Mad at Spock sitting around playing chess. You're unstoppable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks