What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Nelson, I found that clip once also. So interesting to see the choices that arise, isn't it? As you say, the end of the clip is rather unflattering and awkward for the star, necessitating a cut to him already at the intercom. The beginning of the clip makes O'Connell's stunt double SO obvious that it would take the viewer right out of the moment. (They picked it up just as his face was blocked.) The same person put up an alternate take of Leonard Nimoy in Whom Gods Destroy. That one seemed to be worthy of rejection on artistic grounds rather than technical ones. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fagNaTU58gg#

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, Where do these guys find this stuff?! This is great stuff to see from exactly your point, to see the choices that arise. That one from Whom Gods Destroy has a watermark from Star Trek History, I know that site. Without the audio, and because that take looks so unfamiliar, I am not sure what that scene is. Agreed the Babel sequence is awkward with those cut shots. It works great as completed in the editing.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think it's the scene when Spock has returned to the cell where Garth is holding Kirk and Cory, just before the dinner invitation.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson and Lee, Thanks so much for the explanation and information. That's very helpful. And thanks to both of you for the clips. Lee, When you wrote "Patterns of Force? Turnabout Intruder?," were you asking if these episodes were answers to my trivia question? If so, no to both episodes.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
FanCollector said:
Nelson, I found that clip once also. So interesting to see the choices that arise, isn't it? As you say, the end of the clip is rather unflattering and awkward for the star, necessitating a cut to him already at the intercom. The beginning of the clip makes O'Connell's stunt double SO obvious that it would take the viewer right out of the moment. (They picked it up just as his face was blocked.) The same person put up an alternate take of Leonard Nimoy in Whom Gods Destroy. That one seemed to be worthy of rejection on artistic grounds rather than technical ones.
Lee, I'd love to view the "Whom Gods Destroy Unused Footage," but I can't access it. I can get to the site, but then the video won't play for me. I'll keep trying, of course.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It's probably a mobile/desktop incompatibility. If you search in YouTube for "Whom Gods Destroy Unused Footage," it should come right up for you.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Whom Gods Destroy is not an episode I've been watching too frequently recently. But I did see it a few weeks ago. That shot of Nimoy you linked to must have been unused. Right before Garth stunned him. It's so amazing to see these clips! All Our Yesterday's ? For the trivia question.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson, No, All Our Yesterdays isn't one of the episodes either. And here's something interesting in The Doomsday Machine. We know Decker says "Right out of hell, I saw it." But does Kirk also say "What the hell is going on" in the same episode? (This is not the iffy example, in case you're wondering.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, okay, it wasn't Zarabeth or the jailer who might have said the bad word. :) A few months ago, I wondered on this thread too if Kirk said that in The Doomsday Machine. I used the subtitle function and Kirk actually says, "What the devil's going on.", IIRC. I would guess that NBC Standards and Practices at the time wouldn't allow the use of that word more then once in one episode.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Scott, okay, it wasn't Zarabeth or the jailer who might have said the bad word. :) A few months ago, I wondered on this thread too if Kirk said that in The Doomsday Machine. I used the subtitle function and Kirk actually says, "What the devil's going on.", IIRC. I would guess that NBC Standards and Practices at the time wouldn't allow the use of that word more then once in one episode.
Nelson, Yes, "devil" is the word I hear as well whenever I watch the episode. The site from which I (and others) get transcripts has it wrong in this instance. Thankfully, it didn't have any impact on my trivia question since we know Decker says it earlier. It's currently 2-2, and there are two more examples to go. As I mentioned, one of these is questionable, but the other is not. So assuming I do not count the iffy example, the tie-breaker is still there for the taking. Hint: Both examples are from the same season. Addendum: Okay, I've been researching the example that I labeled as 'questionable.' I've checked three or four online resources that corroborate it, so I think it's okay for the purposes of the trivia question.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
FanCollector said:
It's probably a mobile/desktop incompatibility. If you search in YouTube for "Whom Gods Destroy Unused Footage," it should come right up for you.
Lee, Thanks. I watched it. Do you know if the audio exists in any clip of the "Whom Gods Destroy Unused Footage"?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
My guess, which would be valueless, is that the audio element is likely not there because its lost.
Logical. Flawlessly logical.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I am unaware of any audio extant for the clip. I am sure Nelson is right. It seems to belong around the point of "Why can't I blow off just one of his ears?" The only "iffy" example that comes to mind for the trivia question is in A Piece of the Action. Is that the one you had in mind?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee, No, the questionable example was not from that episode. I don't know if you saw my addendum to post #7405 above, but that example is no longer 'iffy.' :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Could one usage of Hell be from The Cage? :confused:
Negative. The remaining two examples are both from third season episodes (one example of 'hell' and one example of 'hells').

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It's funny guys. In thinking about possible answers, I would think of many instances a euphemism is used for more acceptable language. Like " Go to the Devil!" Or "What in blazes is going on!". So finding another use of Hell has been elusive. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks