What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (4 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Correct Rick! You were close Paul.
Rick, your turn for another question.
The other first was one of two times as well in the history of TOS. Can anyone guess what I am think it is? I know it's really trivial! Hint: It involves a slight change in how they did the titles in the first act.
Nelson,
Great questions. I just wanted to add that I believe that A Private Little War strongly implied that Lt. Uhura was in command. Kirk is called by her while he is in Sickbay, right after they get back from the planet with an injured Spock in tow. She informs Kirk that there are Klingons (etc.); although she is not literally sitting in the big chair, she is the person who first contacts the Captain. When he gets to the Bridge, Chekov is the first to speak, and then Lt. Uhura, both filling him in on the situation. Neither is sitting in the chair. But a Lieutenant outranks an Ensign. ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Correct again Rick, A Private Little War starts before the titles are shown. The other is Bread And Circuses.
Thanks Scott! I never made that connection that Uhura was in command, good observation!
As for the 12 starships, that's a great question. I'm working on it without cheating. I haven't thought about it in a long time, I only have 8 so far.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The starship question is a good one too.

Enterprise

Saratoga

Hood

Excalibur

Lexington

Exeter

Potemkin

Defiant

Philadelphia

Constitution

Republic

Yorktown

I'm not sure I have the correct names for them all, but I know I'm close.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Here are my 12 names of the Constitution Class Starships seen or mentioned in TOS based on memory alone:
1. Enterprise (NCC-1701)
2. Constellation; The Doomsday Machine
3. Potemkin; The Ultimate Computer and Turnabout Intruder
4. Lexington; The Ultimate Computer
5. Excalibur; The Ultimate Computer
6. Hood; The Ultimate Computer
7. Intrepid; The Immunity Syndrone
8. Exeter; The Omega Glory
9. Defiant; The Tholian Web
10. Yorktown; Obsession
11. Republic; Court Martial
12. Constitution (NCC-1700) This one is a guess, but seems likely as the class ship. Not canon, but was mentioned in the Franz Joseph Blueprints IIRC. Roddenberry approved though!
13. Farragut; mentioned in Obsession, but it's not clear it was a Constitution class starship. Seems likely though.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I would have to go back and look, but in Court martial behind Commodore Stone they had a screen with the names of the ships, and what they were doing. I am not sure if you could read all the names. I have the list in the Making of Trek of the Const. Class ships.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Rick, after I made and posted my list of ship names, I did have a look at the Court Martial scene you mentioned above.
Here's a screen cap, and it doesn't help! So I don't think I'm giving away the answer by posting it here, I hope!:)
Plus there's only 10 ships there, assuming they are all Constitution Class.
htf_imgcache_30509.jpeg

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

That's a great image. This is one of the things I love about this Board. I've been watching TOS for more than forty years, and that's the first time I ever heard of (or saw) that image before. Nice catch!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
NCC-1700 better get the lead out! Nice pic, thans for posting it Nelson. I could of sworn it had the names. My mind was playing tricks. Tonight i will post the ship names that are written in The Making of Star Trek. Its so nice out, i have not been in much.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
OK, from page 165 of my faithful Making of Star Trek book. This would only be cannon, if you assume the show's bible is cannon.
Enterprise
Exeter
Excalibur
Lexington
Yorktown
Potempkin
Republic
Hood
Constitution
Kongo
Destroyed in various episodes
Constellation
Farragut
Valiant
Intrepid
Those were the names they established for star ships, but as we know the Defiant clearly looked like a Constitution class ship. Its not on the list, so take that for what you will.
OK, here is a tidbit, Stone's board in Court Martial has 10 ships listed, Kirk says in Tommorow is Yesterday, their are 12 like it in the fleet, and i came up with 14 names from the book...pppfftttt!!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Kongo?! That's interesting Rick. I haven't read TMOST in ages, so if I saw that list before, that name didn't register! Also interesting how DC Fontana made that list. I used to think it was based on certain Naval Battleships in history.
I also pulled out my 1994 copy of the Star Trek Encyclopedia. It lists similar names, but a few new ones.
These include: Constellation, Constitution, Defiant, Eagle, Endeaver, Enterprise, Essex, Excalibur, Exeter, Hood, Intrepid, Lexington, Potemkin, Republic and Yorktown. That's 15 names.
There's an interesting story of how Greg Jein, (model maker, built mother ship in CEOTK and many other films, uber Trek fan and maker of the Enterprise D model used in TNG, and Enterprise 1701 for Trials and Tribulations DS9 episode) had made up a list of names way back in the early 70's based on the list in Stone's office. The story goes that the Constitution is 1700 and that all ships would logically have numbers higher then 1700. But the Constellation has 1017, a rearrangement of the 1701 numbers from the AMT Enterprise model kit decals. He deduced that the Republic was the ship with numbers 1371, based on dialogue by Kirk in Court Martial. So by that info, he crafted a list and matched some numbers and figured out the other ships that matched those numbers.
It would be interesting to see how the numbers match-up with the new CGI Lexington, Hood, Potemkin and Excalibur as I'm sure the remastering management team are quite anal about these things.
I figure the list that's in TMOST as a list in the making as it was done in 1967, as the second season began production.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson_Au said:
It would be interesting to see how the numbers match-up with the new CGI Lexington, Hood, Potemkin and Excalibur as I'm sure the remastering management team are quite anal about these things.
Yes, the four (of five) ships in The Ultimate Computer. I use the acronym "HELP" whenever I need to recall which ships were in that episode. :emoji_thumbsup:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Scott, no mention of Philadelphia in The Making os Star Trek. Or my old copy of the Trek Encyclopedia.
But the Star Trek Wiki, Memory Alpha, has this listing:
The USS Philadelphia was a Federation starship in service during the mid-24th century.

Alfonse Pacelli served aboard this vessel from stardate 40127.8 through to 40276.2. (TNG: "Eye of the Beholder")
The ship's name was only seen briefly in Pacelli's personnel file.
Named for the North American city of Philadelphia PA | Hotels | Restaurants | Philadelphia Real Estate.
edit: wow, didn't expect all the links to follow along from copying and pasting!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,
Thanks for the information! Much appreciated.
Who is up next as far as trivia is concerned?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
So I guess there is no definitive list of the 12 Constitution Class starships in Starfleet. (?)
Well, I felt like presenting another trivia question for this weekend. Whom Gods Destroy airs as the next Remastered episode this weekend.
This episode features a guest star who also appears in Batman, the Adam West TV version. Name that guest star, plus the other 2 Batman guest stars to appear in Star Trek TOS. This is an easy one and those 2 episodes have already aired as Remastered episodes.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
So I guess there is no definitive list of the 12 Constitution Class starships in Starfleet. (?)
Well, I felt like presenting another trivia question for this weekend. Whom Gods Destroy airs as the next Remastered episode this weekend.
This episode features a guest star who also appears in Batman, the Adam West TV version. Name that guest star, plus the other 2 Batman guest stars to appear in Star Trek TOS. This is an easy one and those 2 episodes have already aired as Remastered episodes.
Nelson,
Well, one of them was one of my childhood crushes. :)
htf_imgcache_30763.jpeg

As for the other two, how about:
Frank Gorshin and Julie Newmar? Or was it Lee Meriwether? Maybe both?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott-
Right on all four! Nice picture of Yvonne Craig! I forgot about Julie Newmar! They were all on Star Trek. Good job, your turn.
Yvonne Craig- Marta
Julie Newmar- Eleen
Lee Meriwether- Losera
Frank Gorshin- Bele

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Okay, here is a fun one (at least I hope). :)
Name at least one other episode of Trek in which the following actor appears:
htf_imgcache_30765.jpeg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That is an easy one! Unification, The Next Generation two parter that guest starred Leonard Nimoy as elder Ambassador Spock.
Malachi Throne was a Romulan Senator. He also did the voice of The Keeper in the original pilot, The Cage.
I'm not certain, but he was in one of The New Voyages fan films and perhaps one other Trek spin-off series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks