What's new

"Scorsese Stuns Cannes with 20-Minute 'Gangs' Viewing " (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Full story at:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._scorsese_dc_2
======
Scorsese Stuns Cannes with 20-Minute 'Gangs' Viewing
Mon May 20, 1:56 PM ET
By Luke Baker
CANNES, France (Reuters) - Director Martin Scorsese stunned a star-studded audience at the Cannes film festival (news - web sites) on Monday with a powerful 20-minute special preview of his eagerly awaited epic "Gangs of New York."
=======
Good good good! I want this movie to be great. I want this movie to blow everyone away, make Scorsese a rich man, and get ignorant people to quit thinking of DiCaprio only in terms of Titanic. Please do do these things, GONY, please!

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that I could possibly find to be bad about this movie is that it will probably steal Best Pic from The Two Towers. With this and Road to Perdition, it's going to be a great year for mob/gang flicks, one of my personal favorite genres.:D

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
IMHO Beautiful Mind already stole the Oscar from The Two Towers. To date no sequel of a non-winning film has ever been nominated for the BP Oscar.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
actually, it only took 1 response :)
This film looks like another great one. I feel like we've had some really great cinema the last year or so, and it appears to be continuing well through 2002!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Maybe we should SEE these movies before we talk about who's stealing the OScar from who... :rolleyes
I have had no interest whatsoever in this movie, but this article and the article in the current EW has gotten me a little more excited about it.
/Mike

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Gangs of New York is a film I've been somewhat interested in. All of the talk about the problems with filming has dampened that enthusiasm. As it stands, I'm more psyched about Road To Perdition, but hearing that Gangs of New York wowed people at Cannes, has gotten me more excited about the film.:D

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
From the looks of the trailer, it looks like Daniel Day-Lewis is going to turn in a potentially knock-out performance.
The trailers for this and the Perdition trailer have been playing pretty much constantly on my comp for about four days now. Can anybody tell I'm just a wee bit psyched about these two movies? Between these two and TTT, I might have an aneurysm before Christmas rolls around.:D :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As I have reported in he past, a friend of mine saw this film a few months ago when they screened it in New Jersey,.
He said it was OK, a bit disjointed with few Scorsese trademarks and still is over three hours long. DiCaprio was bland but Daniel Day Lewis gives a great performance and owns the film.
He is a writer and usually hates almost everything so his lukewarm reaction to Gangs has my hopes up.:D

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
The trailers that I saw ABOUT SIX MONTHS AGO!! looked as boring as crap to me. And they say Scorcese showed twenty minutes at Cannes? Isn't that supposed to be, like, only one-tenth of the movie? This movie is box office poison, IMO.

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
GONY looked good in the first trailer, but delays have pushed it waaaayyyy back. Now I am happy that it will coming out this year, and hopefully contending for an Oscar win.

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
Richard:

Do you know how most trailers are cut together? The studios farm the work out to independent compaines that have nothing to do with the production of the film, and the director and/or editor of said film has absolutely no say in the clips that will be used.

I just took a look at the trailers for Taxi Driver and Goodfellas: awful. That doesn't mean the films are equally as bad.

This movie is box office poison
Since when does financial success equal a good film? The Mummy Returns and Rush Hour 2 both made 200 million and they're both shit. Fight Club, on the other hand, was a massive financial failure, but it's almost impossible to argue with it's stature as a great film.

And, for the record, Scorsese's films rarely make money. His most successful ones were (I believe) The Color of Money and Cape Fear. Easily two of his weaker films.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
This being a Miramax film that is a megaproject in terms of budget (upwards of $100M apparently), you can bet your sweet ass that Harvey Weinstein will be pushing for a best picture nomination with it, irrespective of whether it's critically well received or not.

Sadly, so-called prestige pictures have a hard time at the box office lately, but an Oscar nomination (and especially a win) has proven in many cases very effective in overcoming the public's apathy.

And Miramax is the studio that got two fairly pedestrian Lasse Hallstrom films nominated in consecutive years; you can bet Harvey will be spinning full speed come Oscar season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks