What's new

scorching hot computer deal of a lifetime (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
just found this over at the anandtech computer forums. AMD TechTour is going all over the country, and there are two bundles available for purchase. you must pre-order, and you must attend, in order to get these bundles. one of them is a pretty good deal, and the other one is white hot.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 939 pin CPU
Asus A8N-E Socket 939
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Price: $250

2 AMD Opteron 246 CPUs – (Tray)
Tyan Thunder K8SD Pro (S2882-D) - Ultra320 SCSI functionality
Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
Price: $500

dual opteron 246s and a motherboard for $500. and (an expensive version of) windows too, if you use it, which i won't. i preordered my opteron bundle already, i'm already excited about it. the motherboard usually sells for $400+, and the opteron 246 is a $300+ chip for just one. the stuff is NFR (not for resale), but if you are in the need for some serious power, it's a deal that can't be beat.

CJ

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Damn, looks like they are only tracing the US and ignoring us landlocked states. :frowning:

I would definitely jump on the first bundle for a new HTPC.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
haha, nice try :)

one of these dual opteron bundles is already on ebay, even though the buyer wont be getting the product for a few weeks!

CJ

Colin-H

Second Unit
Damn, I was going to go with the 3200+ in my new PC anyway... but the tour won't be around here until the very last day! Don't know if I can wait almost 2 months... I really need a new PC!

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Wow! great timing with this thread (for me anyway).
I just started this past week researching and pricing components for a new HTPC I plan on building over the summer.

The first bundle is perfect! At newegg you'd pay about $475-$500 for those items. I've always liked ASUS boards and I was going to get the A8N-E anyway but probably with an Athlon 64 3000+ CPU. So now I can get the 3200+ chip plus WIN XP for what I would have paid for the board & chip alone. Cool.

I guess I'll be in East Brunswick on July 21st.

Thanks for the heads-up Christ!!

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Yes, thanks a lot for posting this, I will have to jump at the first bundle myself, I reckon. It will come with a CPU fan, right?

While I wouldn't mind the CPU power of the second one, it really is a server board, with no PCI-E or even AGP support, and everything else you'll need to complete a working system will be quite expensive, too. So I'll stick with the desktop system.

-Christian

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor

That's even better, although I will probably get a Zalman or Nexus for about $30 to keep the noise to a minimum.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Hm, anyone been able to order? When I clicked on "checkout" I got a site error, and haven't been able to get on the server since, no matter what browser...

-Christian

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Wow thanks for the information, I just signed up for the Sunnyvale show.

I've ordered the desktop bundle.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
no, admission to the tour is free. i believe it is open to any member of the computer/tech community and businesse.

CJ

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, to bad I will be out of town the day they are here in Atanta. :frowning:

Glenn

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
went to the show tonight in boston (burlington), and got my bundle. cant wait to put it together and get it running! (without the windows 2003 x64 server, of course :))

CJ

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I'm going to the East Brunswick, NJ show tomorrow.

Once I have the CPU & mobo I'm going to start piecing together the parts for a HTPC. Hopefully I won't have any compatability issues with the 64 bit edition of Windows XP. I am planning on using Zoomplayer Pro with Sonic Cineplayer decoder and ffDShow for post processing.

Bob Friend

Stunt Coordinator
Drats!

"The AMD/Microsoft Tech Tour 2005 Desktop and Server Promotional Bundles are now sold out and no longer available."

Users who are viewing this thread