What's new

Schwarzenegger Collection (2006): anamorphic "True Lies" and "Commando"? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Just curious: what version of Predator is in the box?

Hey, I noticed at Wal-Mart the individual copies of Commando and True Lies have appeared on the shelf after an absence of a long time here, at a higher price than they used to be (noted above) to maybe make the set seem more a good deal. They must be really trying to clear these old transfers out, and I'm HOPING it means there's a GOOD reason they want to...you know what I mean.

For anybody who doesn't have any of these movies, the set is not really a bad purchase. I mean, they're all pretty good movies if you like this stuff. Regardless of transfer quality/format. Anyway, this thread made me go back and watch Total Recall last night, get an Arnie dose...that movie stands up and I can't believe I still laugh so hard at it, no funnier guy in movies than Arnie IMO. That movie could use a better transfer too.

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
Your facts are also wrong, Andy.
Fox rather stupidly pre-cut it. So instead of 15s, there are a minute worth. A pity seeing as that's anamorphic.

Oh, and this is talking about the R1 Schwarzenegger collection, not R2. So you're off-topic.

On topic, I have say this is quite lazy of Fox, considering that they did give an anamorphic Young Frankenstein (although rather haphazardly). So why release the same stuff? (oh yeah, it's clearout release before HD) And if you are going to release the same stuff, at least make the packaging correct.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Mathew

Well I doubt the region 2 will be far behind the USA region 1 DVD then, maybe there’ll bump the region 1 USA version and deliver the region 2 UK DVD, it’s been know to happen before, subject to availability.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

I own this disc (well, an earlier pressing), and if you're a fan of the film, it's worth getting.

-Lyle J.P.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
I would report this to the Better Business Bureau. These boxes should not be declaring the films are all Anamorphic when in fact they are not at all. If all these collections have the same details printed on them it really is a deceptive practice by the studios(those who are doing it!). To buy it, take it home to view, then find the error and head back to the store for a refund and have to hassle with a store clerk or manager over it is plain crazy!

It's pretty easy to file a claim with the BBB online with and they get into it with the studios who are responsible.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I never thought about contacting BBB. Are they a national organization?

Mislabeled DVD boxes are unfortunately far too common, I've got about 10 DVDs that are mislabeled 16x9.

I've also noted an increase in stickers placed over feature lists to make last minute changes (Apollo 13 and Beyond the Sea).

I always peel them off because the slipcase look much better without.

EDIT: With regards to the many non-16x9 DVDs out there, unless you hear something specific it probably won't be revisited till they retransfer for HD and then release a good DVD for everyone else.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

I'd much rather buy the Japanese NTSC version with DTS and the featurette then a sped-up PAL version. I'm only rarely going to buy any PAL releases anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks