Schwarzenegger Collection (2006): anamorphic "True Lies" and "Commando"?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David_P, Jun 7, 2006.

1. David_P

David_P Stunt Coordinator

I wander in Future shop today (Canada) and in the new release section there's this Schwarzenegger Collection (2006) DVD set... black and white cover.

three films:
    True Lies
    Predator
    Commando

ALL listed as anamorphic widescreen. No Audio options listed on outer case.

So... some remastering happen I don't know about, or bad packaging by Fox?

David

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't know for sure but I'd bet that it's all the same discs as before.

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I wasn't aware True Lies had been rereleased in anamorphic.

4. DwayneH

DwayneH Stunt Coordinator

That is what it says on the package. Has anyone bought it and tried it out? I would buy it just for Commando and True Lies being anamorphic. I already have the predator special edition.

5. Brent M

Brent M Producer

If True Lies is going to be offered in anamorphic widescreen I'd think someone would've let us know by now. However, maybe this is just one of the SD releases that has gotten lost in the shuffle with all the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray stuff going on. I hope someone chimes in with more info. because I would really love to have a new copy of True Lies.

6. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

It's the same thing with the Angelina Jolie Collection that was also released yesterday.....the box lists 'Pushing Tin' as anamorphic as well. [​IMG]

7. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Damn, that's what I figured. Thanks for nothing, Fox.

8. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Guess that means I hold onto my True Lies LD a while longer.

9. David_P

Is it or isn't it anamorphic??? I would buy it also for the True Lies/commando films, if they're anamorphic. Not willing to take a flyer on them though.

David

10. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

I was out last night and looked at some of the Celeb packs.

In each case, they incorrectly list movies that are not 16x9.

This kind of deceptive advertising is ridiculous.

I highly doubt that 3-4 movies have been quietly re-transferred for budget shovelware packs.

Don't buy it!

11. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Well, Fox has quietly rereleased some films as anamorphic. Ever After comes to mind. It's not out of the question.

12. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

The bad thing is when you get the discs home, unwrap them and play them and realize they aren't anamorphic. I had this happen to me with a copy of Don Juan De Marco, the box said anamorphic so I bought it...but it wasn't. I tried to return it to Target and the idiots would only "exchange it for the same title" --as if that would fscking make things better. I argued it was false advertising and I wanted my $7.50 back, they wouldn't budge. In the end it wasn't worth it, and now Target doesn't get my money anymore.

13. David Nusair

David Nusair Auditioning

I can confirm that Commando is not anamorphic. I actually bought it hoping that it was, but alas...

14. David_P

thanks for letting us know... probably safe to assume that True Lies is also falsely advertised [​IMG]

David

15. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    That's annoying.

16. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Yeah, and the 3-pack is no bargain either. I've got all of these discs at one time or another from the $6.88 Wal-Mart bin, in total less than that set goes for. Naturally I updated Predator. I like the other two movies just fine, it's hard for me to believe they haven't gotten better or at least anamorphic transfers. Somebody explained here, a long time ago, why this probably was, and I forget now... It'll happen someday. This is just a dumping of old product that has been multiply-packaged several times already, "officially" or shrinked together.

17. DwayneH

DwayneH Stunt Coordinator

If this is true and the movies are not anamorphic then is there anywhere we can complain to get this false advertising changed? The problem is that if you buy it expecting anamorphic like it says and open it you can NOT return it.

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

If the store won't take it back you can always mail it back to the company that put the disc out. It's more their fault than the stores.

19. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

I know Commando was released as a Dolby Stereo only release, so a doubt there will be any possibility of true discrete Dolby 4.1 mix, the version that exists on region 2 DVD UK, is dreadful, and the rotten BBFC British Board Film Classification as butchered the film, why re-cut the film when it was already awarded an 18 certificate, FOX UK has pulled this Texas switch with Predator then they re-release it.

FOX UK, stop milking the consumer you robbers! And give me Commando uncut, and in Dolby 4.1 or 5.1 with split-surrounds, and for those who what an anamorphic 1.85:1 give it to them, and remember, stop milking us and taking us for idiots!

As far as I’m concerned FOX UK, you’re the idiots, you can’t even produce a DVD without botching the authoring of the DVD up in the first, bloody hell what sort cowboys have you got under your employment!?

20. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Andy, that's not a productive post. Studio reps do browse these forums, and calling them "idiots" is not going help. Plus, it tarnishes the forum's reputation as a place where mature, civilized adults can discuss film. Please stop.

Mods: I apologize for the backseat modding.