School me on HDTVs (please).

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Debbie E, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Debbie E

Debbie E Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to get an HDTV and wanted opinions. I'd love to spend around $800, however I can go up to $3500 if it's worth it in the long run.

Price range: $800 - $3500.

Uses: HD Gaming and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray exclusively, although if SD channels look better on an HDTV I might watch TV on it too.

Size: I'll be sitting 5 feet away from it. Someone told me not to go below 40". Is 37" acceptable at that distance?

What's the difference between plasma, projection TV, DLP, and LCD HDTVs? I don't want to worry about burn in (is Plasma the one that suffers from burn in?).

I want something thin.

Thanks! [​IMG]

Is this a good TV?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1169512521206

Right around 2k after tax and service plan.

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I think you should probably narrow down the amount you wish to spend before putting too much effort into shopping. There's a HUGE difference between what you can get for $800 and $3500!

Since you're mainly going to be doing HD stuff, I would definitely err on the side of a larger screen. At a distance of only 5 feet, I would probably go for a 50" for HD sources.

Which is more important to you -- physical thickness, or picture quality? If the former, then go for LCD or plasma. If the latter, then go for DLP or LCoS.

3. Mitchel_K

Mitchel_K Auditioning

I think 50" would be too large at only 5'. You don't want to have to move your head side to side when watching. I think 42" would be a good size for you. 42" tv's are also at a very good price point right now. You can usually find something in 1080p on sale for around $1400. Make sure you get a 1080p set. At 5' you will notice the screen door effect on the 720p sets. Also since you are playing games on it look for something with a fast response time. Sharp Aquos tv's cost a little more but most have a blistering 6ms response time. Also... check out costco if you have one near you. They have a lot of 42" 1080p tv's at great prices.

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    One more thing. . .one of the things I did when I was shopping was bring a tape measure to stores and look at sets from exactly my viewing distance to figure out which screen size worked the best.

"The best size" varies by individual, though, so I strongly recommend you do the same test. [​IMG]

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Uh, only five feet? [​IMG]

Guys maybe she meant to write fifteen feet.

6. Debbie E

Debbie E Stunt Coordinator

Nope. I meant five (5, 1+4) feet [​IMG]

7. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

5 ft is close. I could live with a 32-36 at that distance. 40-42 sounds like the top size.
    The good news in that range is price. 1200 to 1600 will net a great display.

I agree with Aaron - take a tape to the store and check it out.

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

At 42" or less your only real options are plasma and LCD. You are concerned about burn-in, so that would make LCD appear to be your best option.

Some good options at various price points:

Samsung LN-T4071 - 40" 1080p 120Hz
    Sony KDL-40W3000 - 40" 1080p
    Sony KDL-40XBR4 - 40" 1080p 120Hz
    Sharp LC-42D64U - 42" 1080p (not sure about 120Hz)
    HP LC4276N - 42" 1080p

And I would also suggest that you at least go check out the Panasonic TH-42PZ77U plasma 1080p and compare it to some of these others.