What's new

Schedule for Fall 2003 Big Screen Classics in Suffern, NY (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Some of the good members of HTF have expressed interest in the classic film series that I run at the historic Lafayette Theatre in Suffern, NY (a 1250-seat neighborhood movie palace). I've just finished booking the fall season and thought I'd share it with you (note, we still have SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, KING KONG, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD and STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER upcoming in the spring series).
Go here for more details: www.bigscreenclassics.com

FALL 2003 SERIES - ALL PROGRAMS BEGIN AT 11:30am

PRE-SHOW with Jeff Barker on the Mighty Wurlitzer begins at 11:00am.

All shows will be presented with an exciting chapter from the vintage 1940 movie serial cliffhanger THE SHADOW, starring Victor Jory, as well as selected short subjects.
UPDATE 9/30/03: The serial is not showing this season, sorry about that. Scheduling conflicts, but we will have one for the Spring 2004 season.

September 6
A Day at the Races - The Marx Brothers

September 13
An American in Paris - Gene Kelly & Leslie Caron

September 20
The Roaring Twenties - James Cagney & Humphrey Bogart

September 27
The Third Man - Joseph Cotten, Alida Valli, Orson Welles

October 4
Tom & Jerry and The Three Stooges - seven classic short subjects

October 11
Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory - Kirk Douglas, Ralph Meeker

October 18
Wings - The silent movie epic with Live Pipe Organ Accompaniment by Jeff Barker

October 25
Wait Until Dark - Halloween thrills with Audrey Hepburn, Alan Arkin

November 1
Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious - Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman

November 8
Top Hat - Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers

November 15
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The Restored Version - Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef (no serial chapter)

November 22
Walt Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - James Mason, Kirk Douglas, Peter Lorre, Paul Lukas

November 29
Miracle on 34th Street - Maureen O'Hara, Natalie Wood, Edmund Gwenn

December 6
The Sea Hawk - Errol Flynn, Claude Rains, Flora Robson

December 13
Forbidden Planet - Leslie Nielsen and Robby the Robot

December 20
White Christmas - Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye

December 27
Cartoon & Comedy Cavalcade - Free Admission to an afternoon of fun, program to be announced! (no serial chapter)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Wow Pete, that's a great line-up!

I strongly urge any members of this forum in the tri-state area to check out this great theater. Pete and Nelson are doing a magnificent job with the programming, and the theaters ongoing restoration is coming along beautifully.

It's definitely worth a trip to Suffern, and it's a reel treat seeing these 35mm prints on the big screen in a gorgeous theater - the way they were meant to be seen!

Bob

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I'd like to second what Bob said. I was fortunate enough to see nine features so far this year at the Lafayette, and it's an incredible way to spend a Saturday afternoon. We are very lucky to have Pete Apruzzese and the Lafayette Theater in our tri-state area. And if you don't live in the tri-state area - like Bob says, it's worth the trip!

--Bill

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks Bill & Bob. We've tried to make the series have something for everyone.

We still have SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (6/7), KING KONG (6/14), RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (6/21), THE THING (6/28) and STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER (7/5) to come in the current series. Now that our new screen is installed, these will look better than ever!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great job Pete! See you guys there for King Kong and Raiders!:b

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Pete, how is the print of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN? Is it an older copy, or one of the new 50th anniversary digital-restoration prints?

Bob

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im in Middletown/Orange County.

Wont be able to make Raiders but I may have to attend The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The Restored Version.

Very cool :emoji_thumbsup: Finally meet some other people from HTF:D

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The print of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is one of the restored ones from last year. From my inspection, it looks like it had only one playdate previously as there is virtually no wear on it. Color and sound are fantastic. It's the best print I've ever seen commercially of the film and will look outstanding on the new screen.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm looking forward to the screening of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK tomorrow. That film is always a treat on the big screen. How is the print, and does it have the stereo track?

Also, I hear rumors that there will be an interesting display for THE THING next weekend. Can you give any details?

Bob

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Physical inspection looks pretty good - it's from a 1996 negative, but there are no date codes on the print itself, but it looks recent. A little wear and tear on the reel ends, but nothing missing. It's a Dolby A stereo print (they never made SR or digital sound prints), so it should sound fine. We didn't get our new 'scope lens yet (we had to order a custom-built Schneider Tele-anamorphic because of the length of the throw and it's not ready), so we will be trimming a little off the sides :frowning: , but it will still look great on the new screen. I'm running it through later today and will post if it's any different from my above inspection report.

I'll post full display details on The Thing soon (after Saturday night) - but I think there will be a few original posters and some other pieces as well. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Pete

It was good seeing you again yesterday. It was a lot of fun seeing Raiders again on the big screen and the print looked and sounded fine. Thanks for that clarification above about the slight cropping of the sides. I thought I noticed that. What a beautiful theater the Lafayette is. Wish we had more of them.:)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Indeed, yesterday's showing of Raiders was fantastic. It was a nice clean print presented beautifully at that theater. I also saw Hulk there yesterday. It also looked and sounded nice. No comment about the film though.

Neil

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks, Tino and Neil. Glad to see you there and hope you can make more shows in the future.

Update on the display for the 6/28 show - we'll have 3 extremely rare original posters from THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (and one from a title playing in the fall season) on display this Saturday. They are on loan from the collection of Marc Zubatkin, who you might have seen in the documentary on the DVD of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Pete, will Mr. Zubatkin be at the theatre for that show? I'm told he has an incredible collection of fifties science-fiction material.

I believe he was also involved with the laserdisc of The Thing, as well as other vintage sci-fi titles.

Bob

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes, Marc will be there with guard dogs protecting his posters :) . Either that, or I will have to guard them with my life.

Yes, the Zubatkin science fiction archive is extensive and we hope to make use of it again in the future. :)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Pete, congratulations on a great show Saturday. THE THING still packs a mighty punch, and it was a treat to see it on your brand new big screen!

I enjoyed the memorabilia display as well. Seeing the original poster art helps to replicate the theatrical experience of seeing these films when they were first released. Will you be having any more poster displays at your future shows?

I was also knocked out with all the progress that you've made with the theatres restoration. The new light fixtures and draperies in the side boxes look terrific. Every time I come to a show, I can see more and more progress with this beautiful theatre. What's next on the restoration slate?

Bob

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Glad you enjoyed yourself, Bob.

I can't be certain we'll have a lot of memorabilia for the Fall series (though I'm trying to at least track down original newspaper advertising materials for my series of film notes), but I do know that there will be a *big* display for the December 13 showing of FORBIDDEN PLANET. As with this past weekend's show, it will be courtesy of the Zubatkin Archive.

The finishing touches on the interior are coming along. The detail painting on the boxes will be finished in a few weeks, then we're going to finish the detailing around the proscenium and the medallion on the ceiling over the screen. Six replacement surround speakers and the new-to-the-building subwoofer are scheduled for installation over the next couple of weeks. We're looking at a small chandelier for the dome as well. Then the restrooms will get their much-needed coat of paint. Last will be all new carpeting and aisle lights (runway-style, as necessitated by fire code). We've come a long way in only 8 months!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to look up the date for The Good The Bad & The Ugly.

The Horror!! My g/f scheduled our trip to Florida for Nov 10-18.

Any word on new year releases yet?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Not yet, Jon. I'll probably have a confirmed schedule by mid-November or so (most of the studios won't confirm titles more than 3 or 4 months in advance). We are planning on a number of special events up there in addition to the Big Screen Classics series next year. Too bad you can't be there for GBU, it'll look great!

We are also running THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (Lon Chaney version) on October 30th at 8pm. It's a 35mm print and will be accompanied by Jeff Barker on the Mighty Wurlitzer Pipe Organ, so it'll be a very special night.

The only regret I have with the current schedule is that I couldn't get the cliffhanger serial as I had hoped to. There were too many scheduling conflicts, but we will be adding some short subjects to the remaining programs where we can fit them in. And we *will* have a cliffhanger for the spring series.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
SHORT SUBJECT UPDATE!

This Saturday's showing of Stanley Kubrick's PATHS OF GLORY will be accompanied by a very rare short subject: RHAPSODY OF STEEL is a 20-minute animated film made by John Sutherland Productions for the U.S. Steel Corporation in 1959. It's an abstract film that features the music of veteran Hollywood composer Dimitri Tiomkin and is very rarely screened. Through arrangements with a private film archive, we will be showing this rare short in stunning 35mm dye-transfer Technicolor before the screening of PATHS OF GLORY on Saturday, October 11, at 11:30am.

Hope to see you there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks