What's new

Scenes That Gave You A Chill... (1 Viewer)

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
I'll have to concur with a few previously mentioned scenes…
  • In Kurosawa's Ran: the main battle sequence when all you hear is light classical music contrasting with the mayhem and carnage of battle. Then a single shot rings out, you hear the sickening thud of one of the brother's body hitting the ground, then the sounds of battle you were expecting earlier come crashing in.
  • Seven Samurai: Toshiro Mifune's speech when we learn he was once a farmboy himself.
  • Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: When Gimli sounds the horn of Helm Hammerhand. "Now for wrath! Now for ruin! And a red dawn!"
  • The Abyss: The moment Bud and Lindsey realize what they have to do to get out of the flooding sub.
  • Unbreakable: Bruce Willis enters the train station.
  • Princess Mononoke: San's assault on Iron Town. Also, the scene where Ashitaka leaves Iron Town with San over his shoulder.
  • Saving Private Ryan: The Normandy Invasion.
  • X2: X-Men United: The last scene depicting fire reflected in the water.
  • Smoke Signals: Victor runs to get help.
  • Malcolm X: Malcolm is gunned down in front of his children.
  • X-Men: Rogue watches a mother comforting a young child.
  • Ghost in the Shell: The museum lobby scene where the evolutionary tree display gets shot right up to the "human" branch. That is the moment you know Motoko's not leaving that lobby in one piece.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius..."

the last shot of Being There

the rubber ball in The Changeling

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Gladiator: "My name is..."

Changeling...ball down the stairs

SW Ep 1: Doors opening revealing Darth Maul.. "We'll handle this" Ill never forget the audience reaction to this scene.

Sixth Sense: The ending

Raiders: The map room and the score in that scene is great

Superman: First flight out of the Fortress

Halloween: Jamie Lee trying to get into the house and Shape is coming across the street after her.

Im sure Ill think of more later

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
No one has yet to mention the death/ressurection scene from James Cameron's The Abyss, a scene that manages to work amazingly only because of acting. Chilling, and powerful.

There's also the ending of Das Boot. I've only seen the director's cut Superbit. Anyone who's seen it will probably agree with me on how chilling it is. It just feels so terribly wrong, which is exactly what war is like regardless of what side you are on.

The ending to Life Is Beautiful. Brings tears to my eye. So much for me trying to be a tough man!

Two Towers where Eomer and the formerly banished Rohirram charge down into the valley to drive out the Uruk-Hai army. Wonderful music and lighting.

KyleK

Second Unit
Contact - the last 30 minutes
Signs - first alien sighting and the ending
12 Monkeys - the ending
Say Anything... - the boombox
Dark City - city revelation
The Game - the ending
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (70s) - Last 15 minutes
The Shawshank Redemption - The ending. Absolutely perfect.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
The Last Crusade --- "Indiana....Let it go."

Highlander --- "There can be only one" (At the end)

Conan --- The prayer before the final battle.

Signs --- The basement sequence.

Legends of the Fall --- "You say that again and we are not brothers...."

The Crow --- "Suddenly I heard a tapping, a stranger gently tapping, rapping at my chamber door....didnt you hear me rapping?"

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Legends Of The Fall - From when he cuts out his brother's heart to when he rides back in with the scalps.

The Eye - "I'm freezing..."

The Ring (US) - "But I do... and I'm sorry, it won't stop."

American History X - the curb scene.

Below - the first time Benny Goodman comes on the record player.

Equilibrium - the incineration of Emily Watson.

Frailty - the appearance of the angel under the car.

Silence Of The Lambs - Clarice's first walk down the hall to Lecter's cell.

Road To Perdition - the murder of the wife and son, the final moments between Jude Law and Tom Hanks.

Tombstone - the gunfight at the OK Corral, Wyatt crossing the river repeating "NO!"

Vulgar - the clown rape.

X-Men - Wolverine's first appearance, the bending of the gates in the opening scene.

Blu

Screenwriter
Its a Wonderful Life when George takes the travel pamphlets from his pocket and throws them away after his new sister in law tells George of the job offered to Harry.

Selflessness is what touches me.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it coming. When you grow up, if you still feel raw about it, I'll be waiting.

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
JeremySt, great example from Poltergeist, that scene gives me chills every time I watch it.

One for me is the scene from The Others wher Nicole Kidman goes into the storage room with all the furniture covered in blankets. As she moves about the room she begins to hear faint voices that sound like children. You can barely hear one of them say "Do you see it?" and then the surround speakers let out a loud gasp from one of the children that you do not see. Scares the bejeezus out of you and the breathy voice gives me the chills.

Oh, I just remembered another, too--The Abyss resuscitation scene.

Nick-G

Agent
"Dances With Wolves departure from the Indian camp at the end of the film"

Great one!! I also just thought of:
-Bill Pullman's speech in Independence Day (cheesey I know, but it gets to me!)
-Evita's funeral in, well...Evita

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
This is why we all have home theaters, isnt it? To enjoy our favorite scenes from our favorite movies.

The wheelchair at the top of the stairs in THE CHANGELING

The drowning scene in THE ABYSS

The opening of the Ark in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

When the Sub won't stop sinking in DAS BOOT

Father Karris sees his mother descending into the subway in THE EXORCIST

The conversation over dinner in PSYCHO

All of John Carpenter's THE THING

The creature enters the room for the first time in FRANKENSTEIN

Danny rounds the corner and sees the twins in THE SHINING

The entire helicopter crash and rescue sequence in SUPERMAN

Jack and David are stalked in beginning of AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

The "blow the roof" sequence in DIE HARD

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
A mixture of adrenalizing and sentimentalizing, but chilling no matter what movie moments for me:

Adrenalizing: Mel Gibson handcuffed to a suicidal man and jumping off the roof of a tall building in "Lethal Weapon"

Adrenalizing: "Say Hello To My Little Friend!" in "Scarface"

Sentimentalizing: Ariel sings "Part Of Your World" in "The Little Mermaid"

Sentimentalizing: "Skid Row (Downtown)" in "Little Shop Of Horrors"

Adrenalizing: Albert Brooks running towards Meryl Streep's tram in "Defending Your Life"

Sentimentalizing: Christina Ricci and Devon Sawa dancing to "Remember Me This Way" at the end of "Casper"

Adrenalizing: "Le Jazz Hot" in "Victor/Victoria"

Adrenalizing: David Byrne yelling "My God, What Have I Done?" during "Once In A Lifetime" in "Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense"

Adrenalizing: Michael J. Fox going back to 1985 in the first "Back To The Future"

Adrenalizing: Richard Dawson getting killed by Arnold Schwarzenegger in "The Running Man"

Adrenalizing: Sigourney Weaver gets her comeuppance (and gets her "bony ass" out of sight) in "Working Girl"

Adrenalizing: Pee-Wee Herman chased by security guards at Warner Brothers in "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure"

Sentimentalizing: Same movie, except the scene where Pee-Wee Herman and Diane Salinger discuss their dreams while sitting inside a giant dinosaur

Adrenalizing: Kelly LeBrock in a crop-top shirt and panties, saying "What would you little maniacs like to do first?" in "Weird Science"

Adrenalizing: Big Bird jumping from Dave Thomas and Joe Flaherty's truck towards Roscoe Orman's half-eaten Volkswagen in "Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird" (The dialogue in this scene is great, too. "I shouldn't even be standing up!". "YOU HAVE...MY...PERMISSION!")

Adrenalizing: "You're The Disease...I'm The Cure" in "Cobra"

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Imagine if you fused elements from all these movies into one montage.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
[C]Great Scenes[/C]
- It's A Wonderful Life You know the scene...
- Casablanca 2 scenes (i) First time viewing its the end "heres looking at you kid" (ii) repeat viewing its the scene where Ingrid asks Sam to play it.
- Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back (i) "No, I am your father" (ii) " No, there is another"
- Star Wars Return of the Jedi (i) Funeral Prye (ii) Father's Redemption
- Rudy [/B} The end, with the music score, the chanting and the tackle.
- Lawrence of Arabia The mirage
- Pulp Fiction The shepherd speech

[C]Fired Up scenes[/C]
- Gladiator "What we do in life, echoes an eternity

Braveheart Any of the monolouges
Kill Bill Volume 1 The whole damn movie but especially the calling out of O-Ren
Glory Storming the fort.

Raymond

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
My lord, I forgot the most moving piece of cinema I have ever viewed; it is giving me chills just thinking about it - Three Words - "Play La Marseilles".

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Alot of good moments above, I don't want to just repeat them. One that I can't believe no one mentioned yet, and it gives me chills everytime I see it, plus a tear or two, is in Armageddon. The whole sequence from when Harry pushes A.J. out of the air chamber thingy to when he talks to Grace on the video feed, oh man! That gets me everytime! I'm such a sucker for things like that.

Also, the ending of Dragonfly was pretty good.

And one particulary chilling scene for me is in Pulp Fiction, when Marsellus and Butch end up in Maynard's shop, and then Zed comes over. Oh man, wouldn't want to live that one out.

sheldon M.

Stunt Coordinator
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly where Eli Wallach is running around the graves looking for the one with the gold-incredible music in that scene-

The opening scene in Superman again the music is perfect with the first shots of Krypton and that dome-

The end of Psycho where the skull of the mother is superimposed over Norman's face-as if I wasn't freaked out enough when I first saw it at 12 years old!!

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Are there any movies that you're EMBARRASED give you a chill? I get a guilty chill from

Mortal Kombat : That techno music + kung-fu = chill

Rocky 3/4 : Rocky finally gets the upper hand on Clubber Lang/Ivan Drago during their fights

Any light-sabre battles in the SW prequels (I think this is John Williams awesome music + nostalgia)

- Cryo

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
The "Sister Christian/Jessie's Girl" scene in Boogie Nights (The tension, and that long, blank stare on Dirk's face just kills me)

The "mommy/baby wants to ****" scene in Blue Velvet (highly disturbing)

The end of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (reduces my to tears everytime)

Chuck Yeager "pushing the envelope" in the end of The Right Stuff

The beginning of Full Metal Jacket.

The run up the stairs, for "the kiss" in Punch Drunk Love.

The spine tingling screams at the end of The Blair Witch Project.

The escape in The Shawshank Redemption.

.........and many, many more..........God, I LOVE movies :)

Roland G

Stunt Coordinator

Neo vs. Agent Smith.

Final Fight in Matrix Revolutions
watched on a IMAX screen.

Can't fight the chill, even if
you want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks