What's new

Scenes That Gave You A Chill... (1 Viewer)

One scene I watched recently and was reminded of its effectiveness:
In Once upon a Time in the West, when Henry Fonda's Frank rides towards the final confrontation with Charles Bronson, as the railroad finally reaches Sweetwater. IMO, a truly haunting combination of image and score.

"Nothing matters now - not the land, not the money, not the woman..."

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Gotta be when Gibson yells "FREEDOM". I get that tingly feeling all over every time.

When Rudy tackles the guy in Rudy, yeh, three cheers for feel good movies!

Nick-G

Agent
For a minute there I thought I'd be the first to claim the end of the Usual Suspects !!

Also, Schindler's List was a good call, and the Roxanne scene from Moulin Rouge

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Tom Cruise is always pulling at the heart strings.
"You can't handle the truth!"

"Shut up. You had me at hello."

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
First and foremost, "No. I am your father."

The moment Neo walks into the lobby and opens his coat. You know it's about to get messy.

The best romantic scene to me, believe it or not, is in It's A Wonderful Life, when Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed are using the same phone to talk to their old friend. They're talking, but all the acting is in their eyes. Amazing.

The moment Ferris sees the Ferrari 250gt California. OH YEAH!

When Samuel L. Jackson gets eaten in Deep Blue Sea. Didn't see that coming! Yikes!

When Luke turns to fight his father at the end of Return of the Jedi. A good moment between father and son.

When Grace Kelly is caught in the killer's room in Rear Window. A tense scene, especially when Jimmy Stewart's helpless.

James Bond's Astin Martin in Goldfinger. Pick a scene.

When the evil Governor kills William Wallace's wife in Braveheart. You knew that guy was so dead.

When Indiana Jones is confronted with the swordsman in the street. You're expecting the big showdown, and then you get the "You brought a knife to a gunfight" look from Indy. Heheheh! Always good.

And, I agree with the poster in here that said that anytime you see the 'A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...." That AWAYS gives me the chills.

chris_m_white

Stunt Coordinator
Three that immediately came to mind:

Elliot and ET fly across the moon in ET

Luke Skywalker gazes at the twin sunset in Star Wars

Barry opens the door to his house during his "kidnapping" in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. (Also, the first time we see the mothership revealed)

Gruson

Second Unit
They think E.T. is dead, then see the flowers come to life and he says, "E.T. phone home!"

Superman scene, "You've got me, who's got you??!"

TESB when the music comes in right when R2D2 opens the door on cloud city and then Leia, Lando, and Chewie run to the Falcon (classic Williams).

I will second the Jaws "chum" scene.

Luke and Tatooine suns (williams music again really makes it).

Raiders scene in the Map Room when the sun hits the medallion and lights up the map room.

Ep1... Doors opening, revealing Maul.

Dark Cystal when Jen and Kira touch hands and have the flashbacks.

LOTR - Boromir's fight at the end with Lurtz, gets hit by a lot of arrows but keeps fighting.

Ralph_G

Auditioning
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo... I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd." - Pulp Fiction

JeffLl

Agent
See that's why I love you guys on here! Just about every scene listed gives me chills just thinking about it.

So for my list (some repeats but hey they're mine!:) )

Star Wars IV, Luke and the Twin Suns
Unbreakable, Bruce Willis in the train station
Matrix, The end where Neo sees code for the first time
Braveheart, "I am William Wallace"
JFK, Courtroom speech
Field of Dreams, "Wanna have a catch"
61*, when McGwire hits the home run at the end/press conference
Sixth Sense, the end
Phantom Menace, seeing LucasFilm appear at the beginning (it was a long wait)
Oh and for some stupid reason in T3 when John realizes at the end that his fate was to survive

Too many more to list but there's some

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Hmm... can't think straight today at work :D but the one Star Wars moment that always does it for me is Vader greeting Solo and crew for lunch at Bespin.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Adding a few:

* "No. Not without Incident." from Equilibrium
* Ripley looking up at the ceiling in the medical bay just before the remaining Marines begin their final fight in Aliens
* Clark crushing Zodd's hand in Superman II
* the "Would you trade this day, for all the days from this one to that..." speech from Braveheart
* "Much to learn, you still have." Yoda from SW:ATOC
* Bormir's death from LOTR:FOTR

Agreeing with several mentions from above
* Kaffee interrogating Jessup in A Few Good Men Double chills, first with Kaffee shouting "I Want the Truth!", and then a minute later with Jessup shouting back "You're Goddamned Right I Did!". Tremendous scene.
* Elliot bicycling across the moon in ET An image that's the very *essence* of movie magic, in all aspects of meaning.
* "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away..." Star Wars. Even with the sad state of the prequels under George's inept handling, I *still* get the same feeling everytime those words fade onto screen.

rick bie

Stunt Coordinator
In the beginning of Tora, Tora, Tora leading up to the title. The score going along with the camera panning the Japanese sailors lining the rails of the battleship. It builds with the Zeros flying over and then the Title in Japanese coming to the screen.The large scale repro of the ship is just incredible and makes "Pearl Harbor's" CGI and laughable modern day frigates filing in for prewar destroyers a joke. :D :D

Rick

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
The first one i thought about was in Green Mile when that mouse man is getting the chair without water sponge :frowning:

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator
Not a chill in a bad way, but the only scene in all of moviedom that gets a reaction out of me gets one from me every time I watch it: the end scene in Cinema Paradiso.

When grown-up Salvatore is watching the "compilation" film strip of removed movie kisses, etcetcera made for him by Alfredo, I get moved to tears every single time.

Nick

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
There's tons, but LOTR-wise:

In FOTR to name a few: The opening battle, Gandalf's fall, Boromir's last stand, Boromir's death with Aragorn, Sam's determination to follow Frodo.

In TTT to name a few: Gandalf's return, Gandalf freeing Theoden, Arwen's vision of the future w/o Aragorn, Theoden's speech "where is the horse and rider?", Gandalf leading the Rohirrim at dawn...

Holy crap do I love these movies!

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Lots of scenes from the Star Wars movies
-Ep.1|Darth Maul making his appearance and igniting his double-bladed lightsaber with dual of fates kicking in, Sweet!
-Ep.2|Anakin's Tusken slaughter and confession soon after
-Ep.5|"No, I am your Father!"
-Ep.6|Yoda's death, Anakin's redemption and death.

The Crow-When T-Bird gets wasted and Eric lights the gasoline in the shape of the crow.

Aliens-Ripley'rescue of the Marines after all hell breaks lose.

Gladiator-The whole scene with Commodus and Lucilla, "Am I not merciful!"

Planet of the Apes (68)- The end.

The Usual Suspects-The end

The Godfather 1 and 2-The end

Scarface-The end

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Had to add a few more

"Welcome to Jurassic Park" and the theme. Anyone notice how many of John Williams' themes are related to this thread ??

The blood coming out of the lifts and the flashing shots of Danny screaming silently at the camera in The Shining.

Dances With Wolves departure from the Indian camp at the end of the film

The whole "To the bridge of Khazadum" sequence from leaving Balin's tomb. Favourite LOTR moment to date.

Luke's final confrontation with Vader when Vader suggests Leia might be turned instead of him in Return Of The Jedi

The Ode To Joy sequence from Immortal Beloved

The moment of realization by Mills at the end of Se7en.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I nominate the last 7 minutes of "It's a Wonderful Life" as the most sustained chill in movie history... from George's first "Merry Christmas" through Harry's "To my brother George... the richest man in town."

It doesn't matter if I watch the whole movie, walk in in the middle, or just view the ending... I cry every time.

There's such a long string of lines that can affect you, layered one on top of the other, this frenetically paced stream of people individually paying their respects to a man who thought he wasn't important to anybody.

That's the key to it -- individually. There's probably 10 separate lines from separate characters in the space 60 seconds. 10 separate, defined moments. You're just assaulted by them. "Okay, if this line doesn't move you, this line will. Now this one. Take that! Here's another one! Splat! Splat!" You can't duck them all, and they just break you down into a blubbering mass.

And right as it peaks... Harry walks in all spiffed-up in his military uniform... If I'm not bawling by then, that usually puts me over the edge. If not, well, then the toast to George will.

Possibly the most masterfully-crafted scene in any movie, ever.

George See

Second Unit
The last 5 minutes of Donnie Darko and that song at the end "Mad World" what a haunting song great lyrics.

"You Shall not Pass" Gandalf

Return of the King Spoiler

I have a feeling when Sam decides to pick up Frodo and carry him up Mt. Doom.....that's gonna be some moment.

Mercutio's curse/death in Romeo and Juliet (pick any of the movie adaptations you want.

The Pianist most of the movie but in particular the scene where he has to be quiet and the Piano is right there and he can't play it. Being a music lover/musician i can imagine how that had to kill him to not be able to hit the keys.

Resevoir Dogs, my ear hurts just thinking about it.

Gone With the Wind, Never go hungry again....

I'm sure i'll think of 10 more as soon as I hit submit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks