What's new

Scenes in trailers NOT in the movie! (1 Viewer)

Jerome

Second Unit
there a shot in on of the Sixth Sense trailer, where Toni Collette has almost an car accident, in a street. A scene not on the DVD, like the trailer:D

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
Tim Burton's "Planet of the Apes".

I loved the trailers. Glad they're included on the disk. The thing which sold me on the movie in the first place was Thade's line "Kill them all!" Delivered with such venom and aggression...

So what's in the movie? A much wimpier and and far less convincing delivery. BOO!

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The international trailer for Lucio Fulci's THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY is comprised almost entirely of alternate takes and line readings, and apparently it's also the only place where you can hear the line of dialogue from the "lost footage" that Anchor Bay included on their DVD as a silent easter egg- at the end of the "bat attack" scenes, a hysterical Katriona MacColl says to her husband, "Take me away from here... I can't stand it anymore! Please, take me away."

The trailer for THE BEYOND also included an additional MacColl line from the scene where she's hanging with David Warbeck having lunch at a New Orleans bar- "Well I won't give in."

INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE contains an additional line from Tom Cruise's Lestat during the scene where he's taunting the young woman, trying to goad Louis into drinking from her- "You're a Vampire who never knew what life was until it ran out in a red gush over your lips."

Also, I'm not entirely positive, but I think it many cases when trailers contain "alternate" line readings, what we're really hearing is the original production sound recordings in the trailers vs. ADR/studio re-recorded dialogue in the final film. I myself recall being quite taken aback by how different Schwarzenegger's "Hasta la vista, baby!" line reading was in the final film of TERMINATOR 2 vs. how it sounded in the initial trailers, but the actual film shot was the same.

Vincent

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

That's my assumption too. Yet another example of this is in Star Wars: Episode I when Natalie Portman says "Get to your ships!" and it sounds different from the commercials and music video than it does in the finished film eventhough it's the same shot:)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

That's also the case in the "Superman IV" trailer, when Christopher Reeve makes his announcement about getting rid of all the nuclear weapons. In the trailer, his voice is a bit higher-pitched, the result of production sound, whereas in the theatrical version his voice is a little deeper, obviously the result of ADR looping.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
87 posts and nobody's mentioned Cone Heads - the trailer is full of scenes that never made it to the final cut. I've longed for CH to be given a decent quality release including these missing scenes, but not a chance I suppose. :frowning:

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

Another example of this is the trailer for "The Fugitive" where Tommy Lee Jones is giving out the commands, "Your fugitive's name is Doctor Richard Kimble. Go get him."

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
What I always remember is the trailer for "Hot Shots!". There was a scene in the trailer in the O Club where Valeria Golino's character asks Cary Elwes, "Do you have a cue ball in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?", and Cary pulls out the cue ball. (Which, in the finished film, gets there by hopping the pool rail and landing in his pocket.) I was waiting for the joke, but it never happened.

Jason

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

Actually, the difference is in what he says before that, in describing how long Kimble has been on the run and in ordering his marshals to go after him. It's a different take in the trailer with Jones saying it in a lower tone of voice, but in the final film they used a similar take in which Jones says it in a much higher tone. I like it in the final version because of Jones' sense of urgency.

And here's one I'm surprised nobody's mentioned yet: In "Attack of the Clones", the final line of the film as spoken by Yoda is "Begun, the clone war has." Yet in different places (trailers and spots) it's heard as "Begun, THIS (capitals added for emphasis) clone war has."

The first Naked Gun movie has a couple. The Police Squad style freeze frame shot, and a scene extension that has Ricardo Montalban (sp?) fires the gun that the secretary just used to try to kill herself under hypnosis. In the commentary, they mention a ton of other scenes not shown! Arrrrgghhh!

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
First to follow up on an earlier post, MAJOR LEAGUE did end up cutting the funniest line in the entire movie. They cut a scene between Charlie Sheen and Tom Berenger at a restaurant following Sheen's giving up a game winning homerun:

Berenger: Cheer up. That ball wouldn't have been out of a lotta parks.

Sheen: Name one.

Berenger: Yellowstone.

Coincidently, since the scene was cut from MAJOR LEAGUE, they took the dialogue, changed the characters and used it in MAJOR LEAGUE 2.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe no mentioned ROUNDERS.

In the trailer, there are glimpses of an entire sub-plot that has been cut out of the movie. In the movie, Worm had been cheating at cards while in prison. There is a scene where he runs into the same gang members out on the streets and has to run away.

The scene most likely fits in right before Matt Damon finds him hiding in the gymnasium.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
The trailer for Help! has a scene from the deleted George sub-plot (he's under a glass bubble disguised as Ringo, & the villians are pounding on it with clubs).
The trailer for Duck Soup shows the jar on Groucho's head exploding, not in the film.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

The scene when each other understand who is the other in the desert... The way they know it in the movie is far different. Maybe just a Trailer montage.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Another from Mr. and Mrs. Smith, the "ahh peas" line is a different reading from the trailer to the finished film.

Britton

Screenwriter
Murder at 1600 had a LOT of stuff that wasn't in the actual movie, and it was all stuff that made the trailer stand out! Two notable things were:

Wesley Snipes getting out of his car and saying, "There's been a murder at 1600. And that just changes all the rules."
Daniel Benzali saying, "You were born to be a chalk outline."

Another movie is one of the trailers for The Empire Strikes Back. There's a shot of Luke and Leia leaning in slowly for a kiss while the voiceover touts the romantic aspects of the movie. Good thing that got cut. :)

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
In the trailer for 'Under Siege', Strannix (Tommy Lee Jones) shouts out "I'll see you in hell, sonny boy!" Definetly not in the movie.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
In the Hitch trailer when Will Smith tells the guy that by asking the girl if she wanted a Diet Coke he was implying that she was fat & to buy her a red rose & a regular coke that scene isn't in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks