What's new

Scart? (1 Viewer)

BarryUK

Auditioning
Is the SCART connector used in the Americas?

I only ask as I never see any reference to this connector, while it is very common in Europe.

For example, I use an RGB SCART connector to hook up my digital satellite to my TV (via receiver), but component connections between my DVD and TV. Is the reason to do with the differences between PAL and NTSC?

I have no burning reason to ask this question, merely curiosity :)

DannyS

Second Unit
SCART is a french invention and only used in europe.

The US uses component and SVHS

component is better than scart.

in order of quality the main concensus is:

1:Component
2:RGB scart
3:SVHS
4:Video (yellow cable)
5:RF (don't even go there)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
SCART never caught on here. I can't say that I've ever heard why.

In all the years that I have been around audio and video (more than (gulp) 25 :frowning: ) I have only seen one SCART connector on a piece of US gear. It was on an RCA monitor style TV approx. 15 years ago or so.

Danny has the order of video quality correct. The best SCART can do is RGB.

Sound-wise, the best SCART can do is analog stereo. Thus the need for other connections when playing digital and high resolution 5.1 sound (SACD & DVD-A.)

Erik J. B.

Grip
Hey BarryUK, my brother lives over in Stockholm, but he's having a hard time finding HDTV's. He's not that into the whole A/V but if he's gonna spend the money he wants to future proof his purchase as much as possible. I'm leaning towards the fact that they don't badge the TV's as HDTV over there, but they are indeed capable. I tried explaining to him about what resolution is considered HD and he's gonna dig deeper. Any thoughts on HDTV marketing over there? Is it just the fact that they don't have the HDTV programming so don't market it or what?

BarryUK

Auditioning
I've never seen any TV sets descibed as HDTV over here in the UK, so I'd guess that that particular standard isn't available (unless another name is used).

I seem to remember reading about HD being used by the BBC but, as it's not transmitted, it must be in the production phase.

I'm not sure HDTV would be transmitted by our Sky Digital satellite service either due to the bandwidth/cost.

It might be worth posting a message at avforums.com (UK based board) to get some info from more qualified sources.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks