What's new

Scarface Deluxe Gift Set - 9/30/2003 (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
The reason Scarface's box set costs so much:

Universal knows that they can't sell Scarface on DVD alone, because most DVD buyers will skip over it (due to preference for the 1983 version, or not knowing the '32 one even exists), and buy the 1983 version.
However, they also know that they don't have any reason to put it on the main set, since Scarface already has a huge built-in consumer base, and they don't need to package the original in to increase sales of the remake (as they did with Meet Joe Black and The Truth About Charlie, both of which didn't do well, leading Universal to try to artificially increase sales by forcing people to buy it when seeking the films that they were remade from).
So they have created a gift set with both films, to throw a bone to the '32 fans without having to lose money on a separate release. Unfortunately, they believe that the consumer base for the '32 film is too small to be able to sell a reasonably priced set; they believe that, in order to turn a profit from this set, the price must be jacked up very high, to compensate for the small amount of people that will buy it.

It's a stupid plan, but that's Universal for ya. They're not an awful studio...they're just somewhat incompetent.

If they just had the ability to make better decisions, they wouldn't have to take so much sh*t from the HTF members who feel that they need to have an "enemy" studio.

*sigh*

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
there must be a ton of extras for this to justify the price. there's no reason why an anomorphic transfer and remix into 5.1 upgrade of the '83, keeping the documentary and out takes, with the original thrown on as a bonus should be over $30. Look at their "Ultimate" line. I guess we'll find out when they release the final specs. If those spec's include a hard bound script book to justify the price, than I guess I wont be getting the original version of Scarface.

I desperatly want this, but not at this price. Makes me regret selling my original Scarface '83.

I hope we will see a standard '83/'32 2 pack at a decent price, with this other set being a delux set ala E.T.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
...didn't even the two-disc version of ET come with the original on one disc?
Yes, but it was a last-minute addition to the 2-disk package that happened ONLY after Steven Spielberg himself personally intervened. And as I pointed out in the same post which you quoted, that ain't gonna happen this time.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It's a stupid plan, but that's Universal for ya. They're not an awful studio...they're just somewhat incompetent.
That's an interesting speculation (or do you have inside info?). They are indeed incompetent if they can't see that two of their top competitors (Warner & Fox) seem to be doing quite well with their lines of classic films on DVD. The lesson to be learned from those two excellent studios: If you want to sell classic films on DVD, take the time to clean 'em up and make 'em look good, provide appropriate extras if available, and price 'em reasonably.

The trouble with Universal is that IF they released the original Scarface, it would likely be a bare-bones disk with an MSRP of $30. Of course that won't sell well. If they did a Fox Studio Classics style release with a $20 MSRP it'd sell like gangbusters.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

You nailed it on the head there. It looked like Universal was finally seeing the light with their wave of westerns in May, but alas it was nothing more than a teaser. Universal is definitely dead last in their treatment of classics. Their Universal Monsters need massive cleanup done. They haven't released any of their classic noir films like Double Indemnity. They haven't released any of their Marx Brothers titles and in general when they do release something it's with a moderate to poor transfer with little or no extras with a street price of over $25. Are they locked away in a closet and don't see what WB and Fox are doing? There is a large market for classic films when treated with respect and priced appropriately.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I would be remiss if I didn't point out that Paramount has become a reliable catalog studio as well. They're not big on extras, but they always do a good job on transfers and now that most of their catalog titles have an MSRP of $19.99 I find myself buying a lot of them!

Paramount has, IMO, read the marketplace correctly and adjusted their pricing structure appropriately. As it turns out they now get a LOT more of my dollars they they did when they had the higher list prices. Everybody wins. Universal, however, just seems to be in the dark.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Paramount has, IMO, read the marketplace correctly and adjusted their pricing structure appropriately.
News to me: I'm still waiting for Paramount to "adjust" the $29.99 MSRP of two of their bare-bones catalog releases: The Parallax View & Barefoot in the Park. Not to mention releasing an affordable box(es) of Star Trek: TOS. Correct me if I am wrong, but buying all three seasons caries an MSRP of ~$800 not to mention using up an unconscionable amount of shelf space.

So far as Vivendi/Universal are concerned they are very broke company flailing around for a business plan and trying to sell itself off in pieces. It's been a long time since they've had a functional clue department.

Ted

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Sixty dollars?! :eek:

F*cking Hell! For two back catalogue films? Get real. $40.00 max. Sixty is ridiculous. Granted, the street/e-tailer price will be lower, but the balls to suggest sixty notes for it is questionable.

Great films, but let's be serious - they should be available seperately for $19.98 or as a boxed set for $34.98. Like I said; look at the Cape Fear set!

Hmmm.

Gordy

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
We don't even have all the details. I hope the 60$ is for some super duper Collectors edition with useless stuff like a plastic machine Gun, some kind of book or other useless trinkets included in a big shiny box. Hopefully something else will be available, as the price is ridiculous for only 2 movies.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
If the boxset is anywhere near as good as the astonishing E.T. Ultimate Gift Set, then it'll be entirely worth $60. I'm one of those people who are interested in both versions of the film, and given a quality package, will gladly pay to get a set which E.T. set the bar for.

Until we have further details, folks, though.. this is just a lot of hot air.

I'd be very surprised if both films clocked up more than $40 together, without a super, duper set.

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
"He didn't create crime. He just organized it" UGHH

But anyway, I really can't see Universal putting anything else on the new Scarface disc that will make it better then the R2 version. They re-transfered it, it's anamorphic and un-cut. It has all the outtakes, deleted scenes, galleries, trailers and an excellent 50 min+ documentary. De Palma doesn't do commentaries so I've a strong feeling that this new release will just be a port of the R2 release. Unless they have new 'featurettes' with rappers talking about why Scarface is so great! Wow!
And as for the original not getting a seperate release, I just hope someone from Universal is reading this thread!
I wish Criterion had released Hawk's Scarface. After their The Killers disc, Scarface would have been great plus they haven't released a Howard Hawks film yet.

And where the hell is Double Imdemnity?!? {Criterion?}

Oh and
...Collectors edition with useless stuff like a plastic machine Gun
That was funny!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Obviouslly, its still coming because amazon put the giftset, and the anniversary edition up for preorder. Why universals site doesnt show the 83 version anymore is strange.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
That may be the worse cover art for a classic film that I ever seen( I didn't know that Tim Roth starred in the 1932 film!). Why couldn't they use the original poster art? They make it look like a recent TV movie!

Universal really has it's head up it's ass. It just further adds credence to my belief that Universal is the worst major studio putting out DVDs today:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks