SCARECROW and NIGHT MOVES IN JULY

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ken Koc, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

According to DVD Times "Scarecrow" "Night Moves" and "Twice in a Lifetime" will be released July 12 by Warner Bros. It must Gene Hackman month at WB.

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

This is great news!!! 2 of my most wanted films are finally making their way to DVD.

Thanks Warner!!

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Excellent!

I had the impression that when Warner said in the chat that they were on the way, they meant around September/October.

I love Night Moves and have never seen Scarecrow in its original 2.35:1 Panavision ratio. I wonde rif these discs will have extras. Is anyone here not a fan of Gene Hackman? [​IMG]

4. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Gordon:

According to DVD Times ,

Twice in a Lifetime (1985)

DVD special features include:
    Commentary by Ann-Margret, Amy Madigan and Director Bud Yorkin
    Theatrical Trailer

Night Moves (1975)

Vintage Featurette The Day of the Director
    Theatrical Trailer

Scarecrow (1973)

Vintage Featurette On the Road with Scarecrow
    Theatrical Trailer

Tim

5. Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann Supporting Actor

That is good news but I'd thought perhaps it was the Disney Scarecrow (Dr. Syn, Alias The Scarecrow or Scarecrow Of Romney Marsh as it's called sometimes) was what you were referring to. That's something I'd be through the roof for. Oh well, those are great films in need of release too, just not what I'd hoped for.

6. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Excellent news on Night Moves and Scarecrow. I'm not familiar with the Yorkin title. The vintage featurettes sound promising just going by their titles.

7. Fredric

Fredric Stunt Coordinator

Maybe a Hackman boxset is in order! I've been waiting for Night Moves for so long! Never seen the other two, but after reading reviews, I'm seriously thinking of picking them up. Slightly OT, check out Hackman's performance in The Gypsy Moths. Watch what he does with that dishrag and tell me that he is not the greatest actor. If only he had been willing to do commentaries for these three!

8. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan

Ah, yes...The Gypsy Moths. Often fascinating, tho in the end something is slightly amiss. I like the Lancaster/Hackman/Wilson trio very much--whatever did happen to Scott Wilson? Hackman is certainly on his game here. As you intimated in your comment, when isn't he? I would have liked to have seen more of him in the film. The strip club scene, and his work in it, is a dandy. I feel Hackman's is the most intriguing character--the film errs, IMHO, in the handling of the Wilson character. We do get a memorable Elmer Bernstein score, evocative, widescreen Midwestern scenery, and the big screen reunion of Deborah Kerr and Lancaster. Burt and Gene in the same cast...can't ask for too much more than that.

9. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Anyone tempted by Twice in a Lifetime, think again. Warners, that bastion of DVD presentation, has given this the pan and scan treatment, not even open matte. See the screen caps in this post at DVD Talk here - yeuchh!

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Mein Gott! What were they thinking? Good film, too; although I was planning to purchase. Pity, though.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    John,
    This might be a case of just being a distribution deal by Warner on this title.

By the way, the Night Moves dvd has a pretty good presentation. I haven't watched ScareCrow yet.

Crawdaddy

12. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Wow! That is shocking about Twice in a Lifetime. There has to be some reason Warner is releasing it Pan/Scan.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Unlike those two other titles which were Warner productions, it appears from what little checking I've done, Warner doesn't own this title and might be just distributing the dvd through an agreement with the production company that owns it. If that's the case, the transfer used on this dvd was given to Warner from that company.

Crawdaddy

14. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

That sounds logical. Warner on its own would not distribute it Pan/Scan. Only FULL FRAME titles they have released have been on an open matte.

15. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I watched NIGHT MOVES last night. Happily my fond memories of the film hold up. It is great film Noir and holds up against the best of them. The 70's were truly a remarkable time for Film.