What's new

Saw The Who last night... (1 Viewer)

David Egan

Stunt Coordinator
...and it turns out that one half of the greatest live rock act is still puts on one hell of a show. Pete went nuts on guitar all night and Roger sounded as good as I've ever heard him. These two have been delivering for 35 years and nothing was stopping them now. What can I say about the bass player except that he's a real good bass player. Of course he made no attempt to replace JE, whose sound was definetely missed, but these six guys made up a powerful rock band. Also in band was Pete's brother Simon on acoustic guitar and vocals.

Songs: Can't Explain, Substitute, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Who Are You, Tricky Day, Bargain, Relay, Baba O'Riley, Emmenence Front, Sea and Sand, 5:15, Love Reign O'er Me, You Better You Bet, Behind Blue Eyes, The Kids Are Alright, My Generation, Won't Get Fooled Again. Encore: Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey/Sparks, We're Not Gonna Take It.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Did you happen to catch the 'last' time The Who came to Oakland? It was a Day on the Green show, and Keith Moon sang the only encore the band played on the entire tour.
Glad you enjoyed the show. It's got to be tough. Hope I die before I get old and all.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
What can I say about the bass player except that he's a real good bass player.
Pino Palladino is the man you're referring to. Welsh guy. Regarded as a bit of a 'bass god' over here. Most famous for his fretless playing. Primarily a session player who has worked with some BIG names.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Glad you enjoyed the show, David. I've been contemplating whether to see them after John passed on & I think I'm going to the St. Paul show.
Pete & Roger are indeed performing at their highest level since 1976...damn it, it ain't The Who anymore, but I'll always love those guys. Pete has always been "the man" in the rock-n-roll world to me.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
You can hear Pino Palladino playing with Pete Townshend on the "Pete Townshend's Deep End Live" CD. Or if you're lucky enough to have the LD like Philip Hamm, you can see him. (Bastard. I only have the VHS.) Palladino is remarkable. One of only a handful of bassists I can hear in the Ox's shoes.

EDIT: After reading Phil's post below, apparently I have the two concerts confused.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Actually Palladino is not the bass player on "Deep End". However, he does play on the longer "Pete Townshend Live" LaserDisc which features "Psychoderelict" and on "White City" as well as other Townshend albums.

NP: "Pete Townshend Live" MD of the LD.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I saw The Who at Shoreline 2 years ago. And man, those guys rocked on that cold evening for 2 1/2 hours nonstop. Roger made a comment about being finally warmed up and then realizing show was over. I was tired just standing, singing, and screaming for that amount of time. And to think these guys are in their 50s and under those hot lights. I guess The Who show the Metallica members in the audience how to put on a show that night....

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
David,

Thanks for the set list!

Been listening to a Live At Leeds and Tommy a lot this past week...sometimes I think Keith and John were 90% of the group.

Nate Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
They're commin' to indy in late august and I bought tickets but I forgot I already have something planned :frowning: I'm not a huge fan or anything (being 17 and not growin' up with them) but damnit, it's The Who!!! And I'm, sadly, going to miss them :frowning:
Atleast I get to see petty & rush in august.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Interesting set. I had heard about the all Tommy encore; I wonder if it will persist. I should be going at the end of the month, assuming I'm still on the top of my friend's list. Coincidentally, the only time I've seen the Who was their tour after Keith passed on.

Doug

DanaA

Screenwriter
Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I was going to go to a Northern California appearance on July 4th. My oldest daughter was begging me to take her and seeing that the last time I saw the Who was in the early 80's (with the Clash), I really wanted to go see one of my favorite bands. My wife said OK, we could go, but she'd prefer we stayed to enjoy the holiday festivities with the rest of the family. She was very gentle and, in the end, my decision was to stay home. I wish the whole family wanted to go, especially after David's review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks